Giraffe with 9.3x62

For my one and only giraffe I used my 9.3x62, and Norma Oryx 285 gr. bullets. I believe they are the equivalent of the Woodleigh Weldcore in terminal performance. A couple of quick shots to the lungs from just over 100M and the giraffe dropped after a short death dash of a few meters. Penetration was adequate and the overall effect perfectly satisfactory. I can see no reason why the Woodleigh or the Barnes 9.3 mm bullet wouldn't work well.

My son and I are going to South Africa next April. I am planning to use my CZ550 in 9.3x62. Developing loads for this purpose I am considering using the 250 gr Barnes TTSX bullet. I have used 286 gr Woodleigh RNSN in the past for other game. My long winded question is do any of you who have experience with Giraffe think the 250 gr Barnes will be good or will it be too light for this purpose?
@Dbrown4183
One of the people I hunted with used a 375H&H and had miserable bullet failures with some brand of factory ammo. Lack of performance and jacket separation. One projectile sas found with the cup only no core stuck to the heart . He said later in hindsight he should have used my Whelen with 250gr projectiles. That was his and the PH thoughts.
Bob

I’ve shot two giraffes with my 416 Rigby using 410gr Woodleigh RNSN/FMJ. The RNSN never exited when taking broadside shots but performed flawlessly. I made a follow up shot on one as she was running quartering away with a Woodleigh solid and it raked the whole body and lodged in the chest.
On my dads stink bull he used Woodleigh 300gr PP in 375 H&H and the bullet was found lodged in the heart. I actually followed up on that bull with my 9.3x62 using 286gr Woodleigh FMJ. Shot him in the chest and it never exited.
I love using Woodleighs and I believe you won’t go wrong at all using them. I’ve always preferred heavier bullets so I’d opt for the 286gr.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!