Africa
Member of
NSA,Kaapj and SA hunters
Hunted
Kudu,impala,springbuck,wildebeest
Another attack

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/giraffe-kills-local-filmmaker-20180504

Giraffe kills local filmmaker

A local filmmaker has been killed by a giraffe while filming at a game lodge near Johannesburg.

Carlos Carvalho died at Netcare Milpark Hospital on Wednesday night.

He was filming a feature when the incident occurred at Glen Afric Country Lodge in Hartbeespoort in the North West.

Netwerk24 reported that Carvalho was taken to Netcare Milpark Hospital in Johannesburg by helicopter, where he died later in the evening from his head injuries.

"When Carlos was standing in front of the giraffe, the animal spread its legs, bent its neck and swung its head at Carlos," Richard Brooker, whose family owns the lodge, told Netwerk24.

The giraffe, who is called Gerald, will remain at the lodge.

"He did nothing wrong," Brooker said.

In 2014, Carvalho, who was the director of photography for The Forgotten Kingdom, the first feature film produced in Lesotho, won the Haskell Wexler Award for Best Cinematography at the 14th annual Woodstock Film Festival Maverick Awards Gala held in New York.

After studying photography at the Port Elizabeth Technikon, Carvalho joined the film industry as a runner in 1992. In 2002 he lit a public service announcement for Childline, which was very successful and won a Silver Lion at the Cannes Film Festival in 2003. He worked on TV commercials, feature films, documentaries and corporate infomercials, and had won several awards over the years.

Andrew Mudge, writer and director of The Forgotten Kingdom, posted on Facebook that he was "absolutely gutted" to learn of Carvalho's death.

He described Carvalho as "one of the kindest, most thoughtful, and talented" people he had ever worked with.

"He had a quiet wisdom to him, and when he listened – which he always did – he did so with his whole being. My heart goes out to his wife and kids. Thank you Carlos. You made us better filmmakers, and better people. One of the luckiest breaks I've had in life was being able to call you my friend," he said.

CEO at CallaCrew Jan Bowden wrote on Facebook that it was with a very sad heart that they had to announce the passing of Carvalho, "one of our favourite DOPs".

"Carlos was filming a feature at Glen Afric and had a fatal run-in with a giraffe on set. He was flown to Milpark Hospital but succumbed to his injuries at 20:50 last night. Our thoughts and condolences go out to Carlos' family and friends during this very sad time. He will be sorely missed," he said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ack
Getting close to a wild animal is dangerous work. Sorry this man was killed.

My first trip to rsa, I had to contend with a very curious old bull giraffe that would go so far as to lick me while trying to line up a shot on an impala. Annoying, because I was VERY aware that he could stomp me into the dirt any time he wanted.

Video out there currently of a guy getting killed by a bear he was trying to selfie with. Didn't work out too well though....

Always thought a giraffe might kick me, but didn't worry too much about being stuck with their head. Poor fellow. Sesto...........as to the "selfie with bear", could that phrase have a different meaning in Wyoming?.................FWB

I watched two of them fighting and I would not like to be struck by their neck or head.

This story has a Steve Irwin vibe. Hang out around dangerous animals full time, get taken out by something you'd never suspect.

My first trip to rsa, I had to contend with a very curious old bull giraffe that would go so far as to lick me while trying to line up a shot on an impala. Annoying, because I was VERY aware that he could stomp me into the dirt any time he wanted.

Yes and with great ease too.

Very sorry to hear of this tragedy.

There is always a risk with wild animals and to many people seem to have forgotten that.

Too bad he didn't have our own billc there to protect him....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!