Website
ss.globalrescue.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
Safari Club International, Dallas Safari Club, Grand Slam Club/Ovis

Video of the giraffe that attacked Daniel Core, seconds before the incident

“I saw the giraffe pick up his right hoof and I thought, ‘he’s going to kill me.’”

While driving to their hotel inside Zimbabwe’s Mosi-oa-Tunya National Park, Daniel and Laura Core’s guide spotted two giraffes walking near the path. “The guide told us that it was OK to get out of the cart and take pictures,” said Daniel. “We were just filming the giraffes, didn’t get too close, and out of the corner of my eye is a really big giraffe coming from the opposite direction.”

An experienced veterinarian, Daniel was familiar with the signs of a hostile animal. “He didn’t lay his ears back, didn’t stomp, didn’t blow or anything like that. He just walked his way slowly up the game trail,” Daniel recalled.

Laura, Daniel’s wife, began filming the bull giraffe as it approached.

Run!

When the giraffe was 20 yards away, Daniel’s guide picked up a branch and waved it in the air to scare it away. “About 30 seconds after that, I walked up to see what was going on. I heard our guide scream ‘Run!’” remembered Daniel. “In Africa, when your guide screams ‘run,’ it’s bad.”

Bull Giraffe Attack

The giraffe took one more step and swung its head “like a wrecking ball,” catching Daniel in the chest. The impact lifted Daniel into the air and threw him onto a pile of rocks. “I’ve been hit by bulls and kicked by horses, and I played football all through college. But, I’ve never been hit that hard in all my life,” he said.

Ten feet away, Laura was lying on the ground, “playing dead” so the giraffe would not attack her. “I saw the giraffe pick up his right hoof and I thought, ‘he’s going to kill,’” Daniel recalled. “Fortunately, my wife had dropped her purse about a foot and a half away from her torso. What the giraffe had his eye on was the poor purse. He came down on it and it just exploded.”

Daniel scrambled to his feet, grabbed his wife, and rushed to the cart. The guide gunned the engine and the three raced down the path.

After escaping the giraffe, Daniel took stock of his injuries. “I had about a three inch cut on my head and I could tell big contusions and bruises were coming.”

An Emergency Call to Global Rescue

Daniel and Laura went to the game reservation’s clinic to get patched up. With basic medical facilities and a registered nurse as the only healthcare options, Daniel turned to Global Rescue. He took pictures of all his injuries and emailed them to the Global Rescue Operations team.

Global Rescue’s medical team immediately reviewed his injuries and provided medical advice. Global Rescue’s team of physicians determined that there were no broken bones, no blood in his lungs, and no symptoms of a head injury. Daniel lucked out. He was bruised, but he’d be fine.

The Cores took another cart to their hotel room. “Right before we arrived at the hotel room, guess who’s standing there, straddling the path? The giraffe.” Fortunately, this time the Cores were able to pass by the giraffe without any conflict.

Everything Ends Well

“I was very happy and pleased with the way Global Rescue handled my case. I’m a small animal veterinarian and I deal with bad stuff all the time, but I don’t know everything. I felt like I was in good hands and that, if I needed anything, Global Rescue would be able to handle it. Everything ended well.” said Daniel.

Undaunted by the giraffe attack, the Cores continued their vacation through Africa. “Everywhere we went, people would ask, ‘did you hear about the American couple that got attacked by the giraffe?’” Daniel recalled. “We’d say, ‘yes, we’re intimately associated with them.’”

Giraffe pic-resized-600.jpg.png

Last edited by a moderator:
20 yards. Perfect distance for a bow shot :)

Look at the body language on that thing it is clearly pissed off

Reactions: lcq
An experienced veterinarian? Someone has to graduate with a D average. Holy smokes Stevie Wonder could see it is pissed off

"He took pictures of all his injuries and emailed them to the Global Rescue Operations team.

Global Rescue’s medical team immediately reviewed his injuries and provided medical advice. Global Rescue’s team of physicians determined that there were no broken bones, no blood in his lungs, and no symptoms of a head injury."

this I find fascinating. I thought one would need to have xrays to confirm blood in the lungs, broken bones, and a CT for the head injury. This makes me think these doctors used some voodoo to assess the man. I've been in healthcare for a number of years, and this just seems an illogical way to evaluate.

"He took pictures of all his injuries and emailed them to the Global Rescue Operations team.

Global Rescue’s medical team immediately reviewed his injuries and provided medical advice. Global Rescue’s team of physicians determined that there were no broken bones, no blood in his lungs, and no symptoms of a head injury."

this I find fascinating. I thought one would need to have xrays to confirm blood in the lungs, broken bones, and a CT for the head injury. This makes me think these doctors used some voodoo to assess the man. I've been in healthcare for a number of years, and this just seems an illogical way to evaluate.

Makes one wonder why you would buy their insurance

Because when your actually hurt a medical transport is the difference between living a dying. If your injuries are to the point your taking selfies and calmly emailing them you are probably ok. This was probably a little more in depth then it sounds since they were talking to the guy. If the guy has zero symptoms why go through all the trouble to prove there is no problems? I don't run and get x-rays and a CT unless I think something is probably actually wrong as those procedures are expensive..... Just saying

nor do I. I'm a paramedic for an ambulance service. I frequently transport people for mundane, and clearly non-emergent conditions. Unfortunately, I cannot tell them they do not need a hospital, because of the litigious nature of American society.
Never in my adult life have I ever thought I should just "go get checked out" at the emergency room. If I'm not feeling like Death is knocking, I'll probably just "drink water, seek shade, and call the Inspector General, if necessary"

That last bit was a catch phrase from one of my Soldiers in a previous deployment. it kinda caught on then....

Why would you be that close to a giraffe (if not hunting one)? I understand they can kill lions with one kick, this guy is certainly luckily he is still here to tell his story!

LQC, agreed about the Stevie Wonder comment! Lol

Trust me they are not the only clueless people who think giraffe and all other wild animals are just friendly little creature. I would like to bring this giraffe around the next anti rally or the next person who ask me how I could hunt and kill such a beautiful and harmless animal.
People just dont get it and why hunting is part of the big picture.

Trust me they are not the only clueless people who think giraffe and all other wild animals are just friendly little creature. I would like to bring this giraffe around the next anti rally or the next person who ask me how I could hunt and kill such a beautiful and harmless animal.
People just dont get it and why hunting is part of the big picture.

And @billc, we all know there is no way you would have ever gotten that close to a killer giraffe!!!! :E Frightened:

:E Lol:

Makes one wonder why you would buy their insurance
Global Rescue Medical Operations participated in a much more detailed evaluation of our client than the original post indicates. For public consumption and privacy, the medical portion of his evaluation was condensed significantly. Global Rescue’s Medical Operations staff combines decades of training and experience in remote medical environments to provide a time sensitive, well-reasoned, and thorough approach to the medical problems presented by our clients every day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross