Gift from another AH member

Hoss Delgado

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
As you guys know , l'm writing a book called " A Hobby called Hunting " , for which l'm interviewing 3 professional hunters among whom is our dear forum member , Sergeant Kawshik Rahman ( who will be contributing to the chapter on Hunting in India in the good , ol days :D and modern hunting in Bangladesh ) . A lesser known fact about yours truly , is that alongside guns , I'm also a bit of a knife nut ! :p
Mr. Rahman ( who used to be my Granddad's PH and has become like a family friend to us ) once posted a picture here of a South African Okapi Lockback knife which he owns , which l always found pretty neat and always wanted to add to my collection , but sadly never got around to it :( . While interviewing Mr. Rahman over Skype three weeks ago , l mentioned in passing that l always wanted an Okapi . A week or so later , when Mr. Rahman's niece came back to the States , she said her uncle sent me something . Lo and Behold ! :D It was his Okapi !
I immediately called up Mr. Rahman asking why he sent it to me . He simply replied that l can keep it . :D
Now , I have a real South African Okapi Lockback knife in my collection :D . Only got one question ...
How do l put a razor's edge on this sweet baby ? :D
Arkansas stones ? Silicone Carbide ? Diamond hones ?
IMG_20191109_221844.jpg
IMG_20191109_221953_01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoss, did you forget to post a picture of that knife?

Wow! what a nice gift and gesture! Congrats on the new addition!

We are very fortunate to have Mr. Rahman on these forums. Hoss I have good luck with a Belgian blue water stone. But unfortunately not with a knife like that. Congratulations and best of luck
Thanks , bro :) Yeah , he has a heart of gold and is a real stand up guy :D.
I just got out my Dad's EZ- Lap sharpener . With a nice can of cold Budweiser at the ready by my side , let's see how it goes ;)

Hoss, just like any knife, the main thing is a constant angle on the sharpening stones. If you have guides to help with that it will make a big difference if you are not confident in keeping the angle. One thing I have done in the past is to make a block to hold the stone at 20 degrees and then the knife can be ketp vertical which is far easier to do than trying to keep the blade at 20 degrees to the stone.

Only got one question ...
How do l put a razor's edge on this sweet baby ? :D:D
]

The only way to have an authentic Okapi, is to sharpen it on any old rock or brick that you come across:D

Okapi's were originally be made in Germany. They were available through out Africa even during apartheid. It was after apartheid that they moved to RSA.

Congrats on the gift! Friends are priceless.

Congrats on wonderful gift!!!

Hoss, just like any knife, the main thing is a constant angle on the sharpening stones. If you have guides to help with that it will make a big difference if you are not confident in keeping the angle. One thing I have done in the past is to make a block to hold the stone at 20 degrees and then the knife can be ketp vertical which is far easier to do than trying to keep the blade at 20 degrees to the stone.
Thanks , Von ! :) My sharpener choice is good , right ? Ez Lap ?

The only way to have an authentic Okapi, is to sharpen it on any old rock or brick that you come across:D

Okapi's were originally be made in Germany. They were available through out Africa even during apartheid. It was after apartheid that they moved to RSA.

Congrats on the gift! Friends are priceless.
Thanks , man :D
The only thing better than a friend is friend who's a retired Indian PH ;)
You're kidding about the bricks , right ? :(

Thanks , man :D
The only thing better than a friend is friend who's a retired Indian PH ;)
You're kidding about the bricks , right ? :(

Thats the way they get sharpened in Africa.

You should probably use your sharpener or a good whit stone, however.;)

Thanks , Von ! :) My sharpener choice is good , right ? Ez Lap ?
If you can maintain the angle they will cut cleanly. This is a simple way to maitain the correct angle though as it is easier to keep the blade vertical. If you set it so the ceramic sticks give a 1 - 2 degrees angle to get the wire edge if you dont have a hard strop
q0NEft1l.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice!

As you guys know , l'm writing a book called " A Hobby called Hunting " , for which l'm interviewing 3 professional hunters among whom is our dear forum member , Sergeant Kawshik Rahman ( who will be contributing to the chapter on Hunting in India in the good , ol days :D and modern hunting in Bangladesh ) . A lesser known fact about yours truly , is that alongside guns , I'm also a bit of a knife nut ! :p
Mr. Rahman ( who used to be my Granddad's PH and has become like a family friend to us ) once posted a picture here of a South African Okapi Lockback knife which he owns , which l always found pretty neat and always wanted to add to my collection , but sadly never got around to it :( . While interviewing Mr. Rahman over Skype three weeks ago , l mentioned in passing that l always wanted an Okapi . A week or so later , when Mr. Rahman's niece came back to the States , she said her uncle sent me something . Lo and Behold ! :D It was his Okapi !
I immediately called up Mr. Rahman asking why he sent it to me . He simply replied that l can keep it . :D
Now , I have a real South African Okapi Lockback knife in my collection :D . Only got one question ...
How do l put a razor's edge on this sweet baby ? :D
Arkansas stones ? Silicone Carbide ? Diamond hones ?
View attachment 314081 View attachment 313742
Hoss
Friend Kawshik Rahman is truly a generous man. The stories your grandad would have been able to tell you.
When you get your book published I would like to have the opportunity to purchase it.
Cheers mate
Bob Nelson

What a wonderful gift.

Great gift from a vey generous fellow. If you are near Washington State I'd be happy to put a sharp edge on it for you, then all that's needed is a steeling once in a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg