Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI NRA QDMA NWTF TU DU
Hunted
Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, USA, South, Central America & New Zealand
I wanted to share a catch photo some friends of mine sent me on a recent outing in the Cayman Islands.... Wahoo fishing in the winter months can be world class all through the Caribbean. Some places better than others, but certain locations in the Bahamas can have epic wahoo fishing. I have caught some very nice ones over the years, but nothing like this beast pictured. The Cayman's produce some good numbers of wahoo, but it is not a location renown for size. That reputation would belong to San Salvador.... I guess nobody told this torpedo he should have been a few hundred miles northeast.

They didn't even bother to weigh this fish...! I'm guessing well over 100 lbs.. Maybe 125...? It made for some monstrous steaks on the BBQ grill nonetheless.

wahoo.JPG

Bet that was a hoot!

Holy cow man! Congrats

Wow! :E Shocked:

A big one, it´s called Peto in spanish.

What did they catch that bad boy on?

lure.jpg

Brent,

This is not the exact lure, but this rig is typically what we use for wahoo fishing down here in the Caribbean and southern Atlantic.... A "sea witch" skirt over the top of any plastic dart headed lure with a 12/0 double hook rig and about 3' of #12 stainless wire... That gets attached to a swivel and then about 25-50' of 300 lb. mono shock cord and a 16 oz. cigar trolling lead. That's it... no natural bait necessary. In fact, it is not practical because a natural bait will not hold up for very long trolling at high speeds... Trolling speeds vary, but as fast as you can troll while still keeping the rig in the water is the idea. 12-15 knots is typical. The bites are incredible at that speed!

That fish would be bloody close to the record. Unless the guy holding it is a B'aka!

Jean, must have caught a good fish that day!
You have to show him next to Christophe for scale!

Man that is an awesome Hoo!!!!! Congratulations!!!!

Wow, that is incredible. I caught my first one last fall in Mexico, I had no idea they got that big!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArtLuse26

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you