Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
Alain Lefol Safaris
Hunted
C.A.R., Tanzania, Zimbabwe & Chad
Hello everyone,

Last March we had the chance to take two great animals the same day in our concession in Central African Republic.

I have decided to go in the South East of the camp it have been couple weeks we didn't been there I have great expectation. After a drive to the first salt lick we took the walk through the bako to arrive at a big opening in the middle of the forest when we arrive 3 bushbucks were eating the salt but not male only 2 females and a young one. A lot of tracks were present Buffalos, Bongos, Giants Forest Hogs and other but the client didn't want to track the buffalo so we decided to go back to the car and go to an other lick. We were on the way one of the tracker spot a Giant Forest Hog we approached but it was a female I was surprised to see a female by herself when suddenly one of the guy told me it was another one nearly behind us. It was good old male the hunter get in position for a frontal shot at about 20 yards the bullet hit him just under his left eye for instant kill. After the pictures we have gut him due to the sun and the heat everybody were very happy back to the camp for the first time we could weigh the hog, even if it was empty the scales hit 128 kg (282 lbs) far from our biggest body Giant Forest Hog but an old one.

55C388AB-EDAB-421F-A407-EDB13E2425F8.jpeg
20220328_092103.jpg

After a good lunch we decided we plan for the afternoon we decided to go sit in tree stand until dark. We left the camp at 3:00 pm and we were in position and ready before 4:00 pm and it was still hot but but the wind from the Vovodo river fell good. Everything was very calm we can just heard some fish jumping in the river and around 1 hours later some guinea fowl were turning under us. When the sun getting low a young Bongo up with nearly no noise event if the ground was covered of dry leaf and grass and couple minute after a hyena show up but straight to the little creek and surprise the young Bongo who we heard made a big jump in the creek.
At the last light I heard a little noise in the water not event 2 minutes after a Bongo show up from I told to the client it was a very nice Bongo when the client got in position the Bongo left the leak and stand still in the savanna just next door and facing the blind. The client pull the trigger but the bullet didn't go I told to the client reloaded but slowly what I did perfectly but again the bullet didn't go and the Bongo wasn't moving so the client decided to but another cartridge and this time the bullet went and it hit the Bongo at the base of the neck and made him fall. The Bongo started to get up so I told the client to shoot again the Bongo started to run when the second bullet hit him and fell in the bako. We waited about 10 minutes before calling the camp to send us the hunting team. About 20 minutes the car arrived with everybody it went with a tracker in bako with 2 lamps and my rifle it was dark now and found the Bongo dead 5 yards inside!!
Everybody were super excited and pull the bongo out for the pictures and to show the Bongo to the client very very happy.

We decided to bring back the Bongo full to the camp and a big party was getting ready! After all the songs and the dancing we decided with the team to weight this Bongo it was the first time for that we actually weight a Bongo!!

This Bongo reached the bar of 310 kg (683 lbs) we have also measured it and the tap 34 inches for the longest horn and 32 5/8 for the other one and two bases of 11 6/8 that is very big. I was under estimate him... I was more guessing 31 1/2 - 32 but the twists one the horn gave him some extra!

7D372327-834B-41F5-882B-B44F6CB07096.jpeg
10C46A81-C1DC-4850-95DF-62CFE8853381.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone,

Last March we had the chance to take two great animals the same day in our concession in Central African Republic.

I have decided to go in the South East of the camp it have been couple weeks we didn't been there I have great expectation. After a drive to the first salt lick we took the walk through the bako to arrive at a big opening in the middle of the forest when we arrive 3 bushbucks were eating the salt but not male only 2 females and a young one. A lot of tracks were present Buffalos, Bongos, Giants Forest Hogs and other but the client didn't want to track the buffalo so we decided to go back to the car and go to an other lick. We were on the way one of the tracker spot a Giant Forest Hog we approached but it was a female I was surprised to see a female by herself when suddenly one of the guy told me it was another one nearly behind us. It was good hold male the hunter get in position for a frontal shot at bout 20 yards the bullet hit him just under his left eye for instant kill. After the pictures we have gut him due to the sun and the heat everybody were very happy back to the camp for the first time we could weight the hog event if was empty the scales hit 128 kg (282 lbs) far from our biggest body Giant Forest Hog but an old one.

View attachment 484297View attachment 484296

After a good lunch we decided we plan for the afternoon we decided to go sit in tree stand until dark. We left the camp at 3:00 pm and we were in position and ready before 4:00 pm and it was still hot but but the wind from the Vovodo river fell good. Everything was very calm we can just heard some fish jumping in the river and around 1 hours later some guinea fowl were turning under us. When the sun getting low a young Bongo up with nearly no noise event if the ground was covered of dry leaf and grass and couple minute after a hyena show up but straight to the little creek and surprise the young Bongo who we heard made a big jump in the creek.
At the last light I heard a little noise in the water not event 2 minutes after a Bongo show up from I told to the client it was a very nice Bongo when the client got in position the Bongo left the leak and stand still in the savanna just next door and facing the blind. The client pull the trigger but the bullet didn't go I told to the client reloaded but slowly what I did perfectly but again the bullet didn't go and the Bongo wasn't moving so the client decided to but another cartridge and this time the bullet went and it hit the Bongo at the base of the neck and made him fall. The Bongo started to get up so I told the client to shoot again the Bongo started to run when the second bullet hit him and fell in the bako. We waited about 10 minutes before calling the camp to send us the hunting team. About 20 minutes the car arrived with everybody it went with a tracker in bako with 2 lamps and my rifle it was dark now and found the Bongo dead 5 yards inside!!
Everybody were super excited and pull the bongo out for the pictures and to show the Bongo to the client very very happy.

We decided to bring back the Bongo full to the camp and a big party was getting ready! After all the songs and the dancing we decided with the team to weight this Bongo it was the first time for that we actually weight a Bongo!!

This Bongo reached the bar of 310 kg (683 lbs) we have also measured it and the tap 34 inches for the longest horn and 325 5/8 for the other one and two bases of 11 6/8 that is very big. I was under estimate him... I was more guessing 31 1/2 - 32 but the twists one the horn gave him some extra!

View attachment 484294View attachment 484295
Great bongo! Any others taken since?

Wonderful Bongo. Was that a camp/company rifle that he was using or was he able to bring his own. The lack of the bullets firing is disconcerting.
Bruce

Great bongo! Any others taken since?
Unfortunately now the war in Ukraine hit us hard and all the client should came for Bongo cancelled...
The other didn't want bongo because they already shot one with us

Wonderful Bongo. Was that a camp/company rifle that he was using or was he able to bring his own. The lack of the bullets firing is disconcerting.
Bruce
The company rifle with the ammo he bought and were brand new.
Unfortunately, the clients can't bring their rifles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice Bongo. Glad the hunter was lucky.

Well that’s very nice @SonsOfGuns, maybe you should put that on your post about your hunt in the Cameroon ?

@LEFOL SAFARIS thank you for posting fantastic to see such great animals from your area still, would love a GFH one of my dream pigs lol

Actually @SonsOfGuns i think your hunt deserves its own thread, those are some animals & forest hunts are cool to hear about !

lucky on the Forest Sitatunga for sure !

Is there a story on the Dwarf Buff, looks like it might of got away & found later, is it a Bull ?

Sorry…I did not mean to detract from initial posting….
if a moderator would like to take it down I would please do so….
wasn’t trying to steal anyone’s share

Sorry…I did not mean to detract from initial posting….
if a moderator would like to take it down I would please do so….
wasn’t trying to steal anyone’s share

I think you should be excited as you did very well & post up your hunt, a lot of us would love to read it as others have said !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!