Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, HFMA, and a Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Hunted
South Africa, Texas, Alaska - hey, they count. Trust me!
Well, this happened over the weekend.

The last time I shot a bow I was in Boy Scouts...or maybe it was Cub Scouts? 40+ years ago. My memory is punctuated mostly by a rashed left forearm.

Things have changed for sure! Yes, first time ever with a modern bow...first time in over 40 years...that's the 30 yard group after sight in.

This might have some potential after all!

IMG_4450.jpeg
4451.jpeg
IMG_4453.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lot's has changed. But, if you don't position that elbow properly, that old rash you remember will have a radical update to.

Good luck with your new adventure.

I’m a big fan of PSE bows. Congratulations on your new addiction…er, pastime.

Research proper form, it will pay dividends later! Good luck

arrows are expensive, better shoot at different spots....lol.....welcome back archery is a great addiction.

Obsess over perfect arrow flight. For the record, I don't shoot groups like you're doing unless at 40 yards or further. If your bow is perfectly tuned and your arrows are perfect, you don't want to damage one by shooting groups no matter how much of an ego boost it is.

At 20 yards you or I could destroy $1000 in arrows shooting groups in an hour.

The other thing I strongly recommend is to watch some videos by "The Ranch Fairy" and to read articles from the Ashby Foundation. Your local bowshop probably doesn't know the first thing about this research as it cannot be monetized for their profit. You don't have to agree with everything they say, but you should take a good look at the data before selecting shafts, flights, inserts, and the type of broadhead you wish to use.

For what its worth, no bowshop I've ever visited sells a product I wish to own. (your bow is fine, I'm talking about everything attached or shot from it) Exceptional performance and proper arrow flight requires research and internet "add to cart" activity no retailer can provide you.

It has been my experience, after bow hunting exclusively here stateside for the last 25 years or so, that tight group accuracy is way down on the list of criteria to becoming a good bow hunter. Now I’m talking hogs and white tails here in the East Texas woods. I can see where it is much more important out West for elk and mule deer. There are so many things to go wrong, so many mistakes to make when your quarry is at 5 to 25 yards. You’ll make a bunch, and that’s the only way to learn. We all did. But when it clicks, it clicks. Then it becomes a damn obsession. Nothing like being in your climber and having deer directly under you and all around. Not a clue that you are there. Welcome to the club!

Nice shooting for a long time away. Get your form right and the arm rash will disappear. Enjoy getting back to the sport.

It has been my experience, after bow hunting exclusively here stateside for the last 25 years or so, that tight group accuracy is way down on the list of criteria to becoming a good bow hunter. Now I’m talking hogs and white tails here in the East Texas woods. I can see where it is much more important out West for elk and mule deer. There are so many things to go wrong, so many mistakes to make when your quarry is at 5 to 25 yards. You’ll make a bunch, and that’s the only way to learn. We all did. But when it clicks, it clicks. Then it becomes a damn obsession. Nothing like being in your climber and having deer directly under you and all around. Not a clue that you are there. Welcome to the club!

Your points are reasonable for NA bow hunting. The biggest issue I see is that we can (and do) a lot of things wrong in NA and suffer few consequences. Bows are so overpowered for deer that about anything will hit and burrow through the animal. On larger animals how an arrow hits, recovers from the impact, and then continues to bore through the animal while rotating. That’s where perfect arrows and perfect arrow flight make a huge difference. I can walk back tune any bow to give the illusion of perfect flight but paper tuning or stop motion indicates serious issues coming off the bow. Vanes will conceal that flaw for the remainder of flight but it will manifest again upon impact greatly reducing proper penetration.

Again, we can do all of this wrong in North America and blissfully harvest deer, but our lack of attention to detail can catch up with us in Africa.

I’ll try to figure out how to upload my ten year old’s slow motion video of his shot on black bear. Perfect flight and perfect arrow yields full pass through and death in 40 yards, even when drawing 37lbs at 22.5”.

I don’t know why I’ve never had the urge to take a bow to Africa. Maybe I don’t like the waterhole hide concept? I don’t know. Now if I could get my Summit over there……………….

Flipper, if you want to do true Spot and Stalk (as in, no waterhole!) in Africa, I know just the PH for you and the property. Craig Done, PH for Leopards Valley, is a BIG Bow Hunting enthusiast, a family man and just plain good guy. I’ve done three safaris with him as my PH and can tell you that when I go back for some bow hunting, he will be my first stop.

I don’t know why I’ve never had the urge to take a bow to Africa. Maybe I don’t like the waterhole hide concept? I don’t know. Now if I could get my Summit over there……………….

Great stuff in this thread guys! Keep it coming - I have my Summit Climber ready to go for the season and I’m super looking forward to this!

PS: my bow is set at 58# and I think that’s going to be plenty! I start practice at 40 yards later this week. I’m super happy that I can get out to 60 yards safely in my back yard…and even further with a quick text to my neighbor (who has the 5 acres behind me).

Last edited:

I've said this about bowhunting in Africa many times in this and other threads, but it's worth repeating. Most hunters who are hunting from hides over water (and food) in Africa are doing so simply because it is the absolute most productive method of getting shot opportunities on a number of animals within a given timeframe. This is especially true for bowhunters traveling to Africa for the first time.

Most first-time Africa hunters have a "wish list" of animals and a set number of days to hunt. They come with the mindset that this is a once in a lifetime trip and they will likely never get to return. With that, they want opportunity at as many animals as they can get on their lists. This is the main reason why outfitters recommend hunting over water and/or food & minerals for the majority of the time.

There are a few excellent outfitters in Africa who offer quality bowhunting. Those that do will utilizing a number of different methods and set-ups for their hunters including a variety of hides, blinds, and tree stands set up with the most important variables in mind such as hide construction, and location considering the predominant wind and sun directions along with the natural travel paths of the game. The best bowhunting outfits will also utilize tree stands, pop-up blinds, brush blinds, and encourage spot & stalk when the conditions dictate it's probability of success.

Over the many years I have consulted and assisted in the planning of hundreds of safaris for bowhunters, and although most expressed the desire to spot & stalk, most were also were not willing to dedicate the time and patience necessary to be successful. The idea of hunting 7-10 days in Africa in a fair chase environment and possibly only having a handful of shot opportunities does not appeal to the majority of them. Successful spot & stalking is dependent on not only a commitment from the hunter, but a competent, experienced PH who understands the special requirements necessary for bowhunters to be successful when spot & stalking.

While a great many outfitters in Africa offer bow hunting, most lack the experience, knowledge, and even the proper set-ups to facilitate the best opportunities for their hunters. That is why I have been so emphatic over the importance of doing your research and selecting an outfitter that doesn't just offer bow hunting, but one that actually is a bowhunter who has the knowledge, experience, the right properties that will set you up for success.

@Flipper Dude ,
I personally have not hunted from a hide over water in Africa for many years. Although I will get in a tree stand down by one of the rivers occasionally, most days, I prefer the challenge of spot & stalk, and if I go for days without a shot opportunity, I am fine with that. I am no longer collecting trophies, just experiences.

If you ever decide to bring your bow to Africa, get in touch with us. We will be more than happy to spot & stalk with you as long as you are willing to understand and accept the challenges that go along with that style of hunting. And, don't worry about bringing your Summit. We already have several hanging in some of the sweetest spots you can imagine!

Thanks for the nice info. I actually had lunch at Limcroma one day in 2006. Ate lunch with Hannes’ mom and his kids! Was staying next property over (Ranier Els). Hannes’ brother. Hunting bushbuck along the river. Looking back, that area would be a super place to do some bow hunting.

@firehuntfish great post above.

I think the problem with many bowhunters going to Africa is lack of empathy and understanding for the outfitter. You can ask for anything you want and select a PH that will get you that, but it comes at a price.

If you want to hunt a lot of animals in a very short safari of 7-10 days, of course you're hunting RSA and of course you're hunting over water holes or blinds. If this is not what you're looking for and you demand wilderness spot and stalk hunting with no fences, no problem, you can go to Zimbabwe and many other locations. However, if you want spot-and-stalk in a country other than RSA that means the PH/Operator does not own the animals. They are not going to buy the quota and let you galavant across the countryside for 14-21 days doing spot and stalk without you paying a serious premium because they have to pay for the quota YOU DO NOT SHOOT. Further, they have to pay for bowhunting licenses that are quite expensive in most countries. Lastly, they have to endure a sizable minority of the bowhunting dangerous game hunter population that demands they kill the dangerous game with an arrow or they have a hissy fit because it can't be entered in the record book. Obviously, this creates peril for the PH/Operator both in hazard pay and in dealing with clients that get pouty because they put a bad shot on an animal and then are getting surly at camp because the PH killed it in a charge or to end animal suffering.

PHs and operators are good people on the whole. Same for bowhunters. But you have to understand the economics of what you demand along with the practicalities thereof. No PH even in RSA is going to offer you a hunt at very low daily rates for spot and stalk because the odds are few trophies will be taken and they will have wasted a lot and time and money on a client that was on a virtually free walkabout.

Obsess over perfect arrow flight. For the record, I don't shoot groups like you're doing unless at 40 yards or further. If your bow is perfectly tuned and your arrows are perfect, you don't want to damage one by shooting groups no matter how much of an ego boost it is.

At 20 yards you or I could destroy $1000 in arrows shooting groups in an hour.

The other thing I strongly recommend is to watch some videos by "The Ranch Fairy" and to read articles from the Ashby Foundation. Your local bowshop probably doesn't know the first thing about this research as it cannot be monetized for their profit. You don't have to agree with everything they say, but you should take a good look at the data before selecting shafts, flights, inserts, and the type of broadhead you wish to use.

For what its worth, no bowshop I've ever visited sells a product I wish to own. (your bow is fine, I'm talking about everything attached or shot from it) Exceptional performance and proper arrow flight requires research and internet "add to cart" activity no retailer can provide you.
I am a novice archer and I hope to eventually get to bow hunting (rotator cuff torn twice isn’t helping). I have spent a substantial amount of time watching Ranch Fairy and researching Ashby Foundation concepts/research. I 100% support what is generally being taught. Using their concepts is the only way I would bow hunt NA, and I believe the only way anyone should bow hunt Africa.

I have bowhunted since the 70’s, mostly recurve and longbow, I make my own arrows so they are relatively cheap, practice shooting out of position from your knees, around trees, etc.. and when you get close get closer, most of my bowhunting has been in the swamps of the U.P., but I have hunted for Elk out west, it is an addiction, I limit my shots to a max of 40yards, most I try for under 20yds, a lot can happen to an arrow in flight to make a poor shot

I am a novice archer and I hope to eventually get to bow hunting (rotator cuff torn twice isn’t helping). I have spent a substantial amount of time watching Ranch Fairy and researching Ashby Foundation concepts/research. I 100% support what is generally being taught. Using their concepts is the only way I would bow hunt NA, and I believe the only way anyone should bow hunt Africa.

Sorry to hear that @TucsonFX4 about your shoulder. From one bow hunter to another, I promise you that if you buy the right bow and setup with the right arrows, properly tuned, you can kill anything in Africa without further aggravating your shoulder.

My son was drawing 37 lbs at only a 22.5" draw length when he was on safari getting full pass throughs, spot and stalk, on African game. Same for his black bear and deer hunts. If a ten year old can do it with the right setup, you could do double the damage just by your draw length increase.

If you want to discuss setups I'd be happy to PM with you. I highly recommend Gearhead bows because there is some IBO trickery they allow to give you even more free power than the average bow and they are perfect for stalking. A 350 IBO and a 1.5" longer than normal draw length using a gearhead allows for tremendous killing power at reasonable draw weights from 40lbs to 50lbs. I have zero doubts that you'd get a full pass-through on a zebra, kudu, or eland at 45lbs or greater with an adult draw length and perfectly tuned, heavy arrows.

Flipper, if you want to do true Spot and Stalk (as in, no waterhole!) in Africa, I know just the PH for you and the property. Craig Done, PH for Leopards Valley, is a BIG Bow Hunting enthusiast, a family man and just plain good guy. I’ve done three safaris with him as my PH and can tell you that when I go back for some bow hunting, he will be my first stop.

Great stuff in this thread guys! Keep it coming - I have my Summit Climber ready to go for the season and I’m super looking forward to this!

PS: my bow is set at 58# and I think that’s going to be plenty! I start practice at 40 yards later this week. I’m super happy that I can get out to 60 yards safely in my back yard…and even further with a quick text to my neighbor (who has the 5 acres behind me).

I'll have to look into him. I have no desire to sit over a water hole at all except maybe for lunch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg