Getting a little lost in things! A note to beginners...

Sean kerr

AH member
Reaction score
Hello all,

First I want to say thank you all that I've spoken with for all of the help you've been through the beginning phases of booking my first safari! There is no better website than AH... Period. Trust me.

To those that haven't booked a hunt yet or to people who've been a million times here are a couple things I've learned so far. First, vet the people you speak to of course but don't be so worried about sending your money to book a hunt with a reputable PH. READ the hunt reports on here... So many are fantastic and folks here post the bad experiences too and head them. My booking day gets closer...
Second, the folks on here truly are a great help and (pardon me for the terminology, I mean it with a big smile and love guys) are fantastic "tools" that lend their time and knowledge to help you to have a great trip and avoid mistakes. I feel as though I've made some friends here already. Some opinions may ruffle your feathers but everyone HAS their own opinions and experiences so roll with it all and take a bit of knowledge from each person and put it away for future use.
Thirdly, don't get wrapped up in the technical stuff right away, especially if you are not wealthy, like me! Don't get involved solely with the nostalgic thoughts of what you've read in hunting stories of what Africa should "look like" (meaning gear etc not the landscape) such as my mistakes so far.... I am an avid hunter here in the US but never have been to Africa (not yet as I write this either mind you) and I catch myself looking at double rifles, new rifles in 404 etc. I am a strange guy as I actually own a few big bores but in my eyes they didn't some how fit the view of what I needed for my first buff hunt etc.. I lost sight of the prize here... It's the hunt, the family I'm taking with me,the memories that will be created, the fact that I'm actually going to be going, not the perferal BS! If I bought all the new things I "needed" my trip gets postponed another year. What good is that?
I guess what I'm saying is, it's your trip and do what you will and only you know how much money you have to spend but if you REALLY going to go, my pittance of advice is only get what you need to get the job done and then BOOK and GO. Don't spend yourself into a financial coma just getting kitted out with this and that. Yes, I realize not everyone has the "issues" I have but just in case you do you've been warned! I would have spend 15k in guns that I don't need right now. After I get back and should I want to go again (I'm quite sure that will be the case) then I can change things up as I need to or want to. Or maybe, it will change nothing.
Just a bit of rambling from a true non-expert in all things African but I felt as though I needed to voice some of my thoughts since a great deal of this website and community is about sharing experiences and thoughts etc related to their passion for hunting. So Charlie... No double this time! Same to Bill! Hell, I'm not even buying new boots! My guns as they are, my old asolo boots and shirts and pants in the right khaki colors will suffice. No, I'm not OCD or anything but I have waited nearly 30 years to do this and sometimes when you finally have decided your going to do it, the trip can take on a life of its own. Ok, sermon over. Any snide comments can be directed to my ex wife as well as rotten fruit or vegetables.

Best,
Sean

Tons of knowledge and info to draw from on tis site! I did the same thing!

Are you going in 2017? Decided what your after yet?

Sean we all did the same thing and then you stop and think to realize we all over think the trip. I am sorry I had to send that last buff pic over the 4th but hey what are new friends for. LOL I can tell you now all your old gear will work just fine and that buff will never know if it I a new gun or a old gun but the fun will be the same.

I am looking forward to working on this hunt with you as we go and I know Pieter is looking forward to having you and your family over. Maybe if your nice your boy will let you film his hunt for that blue wildebeest. LOL though Pieter and him could just leave you behind to.

Now you get to sit back and enjoy the wait like we all have had to do. You will be coming here living your dream through other reports till you get to share your dreams with the next guys waiting to go.

Reedy:

I'm booking this early fall for 2017. I have a small list but at the same time I have bee given some sage advice and that is not to have a huge list etc and see what comes and what animals present themselves while we are there. I am after buffalo though as the primary animal. I decided to hunt a cow and not a bull since if I do the bull there is not going to be enough money left over to have my son hunt more animals than just a couple. I'm not worried about the man card here and a cow will be fun and maybe in the future a bull but for right now I would rather have my son take more animals than me.

Bill, you are FAR from sorry about the buff pics... Don't try to kid a kidder as they say! Some friend you are! Lol. New friends are great and the time spent on the phone that day was fantastic and a lot of good info was given and I appreciate that very much, not to mention the emails. And, I am very much living the dream through others and that's ok... Most of the time! After my hunt though I will be writing a veeeery long report on everything so I hope that people find it to be interesting and enjoy it. I know that I like to read the long stories myself and the folks that don't post long reports of their own says what they needed to and that's fine too. I however,as you know Bill, can talk... A lot. Sooooo.... It will be a long story. Hey, who knows.... Maybe I hit the lottery this week for 500 million and I'll take 20 or so folks from here on their first safaris that want to go! Seriously, I think I would do something like that, I'm just that kind of guy. Although I can say that I would be adding about 30 days to my hunt and all the big five (six) would be included at that point. Lol! Here's to dreaming! No, I haven't been drinking either, never touch the stuff. Have a great day all!

Best,
Sean

That is great your talking your son along, I took my family over last year. I give my son a hard time about the fact that I have been over 3 times and got 9 animals and he has been 1 time and got 10 animals, go figure. Have a great time looking forward to your report

Some great thoughts in that post. Truthfully, other than buying a pair of safari gaiters, your North American hunting kit is all you really need for an African plains game hunt. My luggage gets smaller and lighter every time we go.

Sean you are spot on. Great insights.

About READING, I'd suggest you also read between the lines. What is missing in the reports?

Have fun using all the TOOLS here.

Sean you are spot on. Great insights.

About READING, I'd suggest you also read between the lines. What is missing in the reports?

Have fun using all the TOOLS here.

Dam I have a hard enough time reading and writing now I need to learn to read between the lines to. I wish I paid more attention in school now. LOL

I know after the hunt you will be glad you did this with your son and it will be one special trip you will both remember for the rest of your lives. I do know after are talk your a lot like me a go with that gut feeling you get and that has served me well so far.

Sean,
I have enjoyed our communication. I hope you have a great hunt once you get there. If I can be of any more assistance you have my number.
Didn't think you would need that double. The rifles you have will do the job and then some.
Charlie

Thank you Charlie, it was indeed a good conversation not to mention the AH communication. The big question is... How few days left until the leopard hunt? Has to be nearly here and I forgot what date you were going but I know it's coming right up.

I leave on the 19th arrive in SA on the 20th! Getting stoked as you might imagine.

Good on you Sean, you get it! The memories are the most important thing. I just got back and I took my son this time, the best decision I have made(haven't written my report yet, but soon will as soon as I catch up on work).
A lot of us are complete rifle and reloading junkies on here, I personally will eat top ramen for a month to put a new rifle in my safe, but truth be told, out of the 50 or so rifles I have acquired since my last trip, I took a 375 that I've owned forever, I promised that I would take her on a trip one day so I made good on the promise. Had to buy new pants because my old ones shrunk in the dryer or my ass got bigger, more the latter I admit. Other than that all my money on kit was spent on the boy as he out grows hunting cloths daily now. Any time you can put a memory into your kids mind that you know will last when you are dead and gone is money well spent, an investment that will last as he tells his kids about the time him and the old man were kudu one time.....
I've got one more boy to take when he gets a little older and I can't wait for that trip either.
I hope you enjoy your trip and I appreciate you posting your thoughts on this subject.
Cheers,
Cody

Bull... Thank you for the kind words. It means a lot that people read the thoughts and feelings of others on here, I know that I do. My post is how I feel and what I was doing... Getting lost in things. Luckily, I caught myself in time. As far as your soon to be generated hunting report it had better be an in depth one! Not one paragraph either! Ok, not war and peace long but good. I live on them you know... I meant WE of course, yes WE here on AH. I would never be so bold as to request a great read from yourself. Why that would be just rude.

On to the important stuff, taking your oldest boy. I'm sure your son had the time of his life there and hunting with his father must have been wonderful, no matter how old or young he may be. Mine is bouncing off the walls like a ping pong ball, or a BB in a box, I always say. And we have 14 months to wait. Almost a life sentence. I too have younger ones in the midst that will be going along in the future. You did good there "dad". Maybe one day they will all get together and take you! But yes, when we are dead and gone those stories may well be the only history in your and my families of a safari. Who knows what will happen with hunting generations from now. Not to be a naysayer or doomsayer but at times the future seems dim and to have that part of your families story is amazing. Just my .02.

I laughed out loud at the shrinking clothes part... I have the same issue but I believe I have been sabotaged! Someone feeding me fried food while I am asleep. Has to be, just has to be. 6 foot three and went from 205 to 250. It's a travesty really so your are indeed in good company even I cannot see my shoes.

On your old girl that you took, I'm sure she what you wanted her too and if a rifle could smile, she was. My son and I are bringing our ruger no. 1's. His is 375 HH and mine 458 win. They will become old friends over time and use. They have been around awhile but never taken to Africa.

All the best Bull and thanks again for the post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArtLuse26

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you