Getting a firearm license in South Africa?

SAFalconer

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa
Hi guys. I was wondering if could tell me how long it takes to get a firearm license in South Africa? Would be easier to license a .22 or a .243? Thanks for any info. Cheers. SAFalconer.

When I was in SA last month I talked to a land owner and he said he had started the process to buy a gun in April and had just received one license and was waiting to get the second one. I think the first was to own a gun and the second was for the specific gun. Not sure of that, but the time line is what he told me.

He was quite surprised when he asked me how long it took for me to buy a gun back home and I told him about 20 minutes.

If you're South African, you first need to get a competency.
This will be through a certified instructor near you. Your local gun shop will be able to help.
This takes roughly 3 months. Then you purchase your rifle.
You will now need your competency and a motivation letter. You will need to show that you need the rifle, that you hunt and have proof. Letters from land owners , pictures etc. these motivations can be done for you for a fee, again chat to the local gun shop.
This should take another 3 months.
Then hopefully you can collect your firearm.
As for calibre, with the limited number of firearms you can own, I would go 243
Best of luck
Regards

4 rifles. Then you need to be a Pro Hunter or be a Dedicated hunter, more paperwork , need to belong to hunting clubs etc to get more rifles.
Good luck
Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.