Get off my plane!

Bears have torn up more than a few planes in AK.

#1 rule for bear areas: Never leave food in any sort of vehicle.

Agreed, but they don’t need food to decide to tear something up. We had a griz destroy the lid to our hot tub. A buddy had one shred his raft leaving him stranded 200 yards from his boat and 50 miles from Valdez. Sometimes they just like to screw with you!

Agreed, but they don’t need food to decide to tear something up. We had a griz destroy the lid to our hot tub. A buddy had one shred his raft leaving him stranded 200 yards from his boat and 50 miles from Valdez. Sometimes they just like to screw with you!
That could construed as “preparing a meal” I think. ;)

Absolutely, DLP bear (defense of life and property). My wife called me one day at work to tell me there was a griz in the front yard. I told her to shoot it or stay inside!

One of my guys got a call from his Mum in Salcha. A griz had gotten through the first door on her arctic entry at the front door. She went out the back door with the ‘06, went around the house and killed that bear in the entry. Called her son to come get the darn bear out of the doorway. She was 72 at the time.

Funny, the earthquakes bothered my wife far more than the bears during our years in Alaska.

Absolutely, DLP bear (defense of life and property). My wife called me one day at work to tell me there was a griz in the front yard. I told her to shoot it or stay inside!

One of my guys got a call from his Mum in Salcha. A griz had gotten through the first door on her arctic entry at the front door. She went out the back door with the ‘06, went around the house and killed that bear in the entry. Called her son to come get the darn bear out of the doorway. She was 72 at the time.

Funny, the earthquakes bothered my wife far more than the bears during our years in Alaska.
Do they confiscate the Bear, or do you get to keep it?

Do they confiscate the Bear, or do you get to keep it?

You have to take the hide and the skull to them. My buddy shot one off his horse in Fairbanks. He called in and told them to come get their bear, he wasn’t skinning it for them. They did come out and get it. Probably because it had been wreaking havoc all up and down the road and they hadn’t managed to put it down in over a week of mischief.

I remember when we lived in Sitka in the late 60's, as a public service announcement, the guy on the local radio would regularly remind folks not to go out in the woods without their .30-06 or bigger!
I saw the remains under a blood soaked sheet of a hunter they flew into town from nearby after a sow with cubs had killed him. Not pretty.

I believe I’m in seat 2a.

That Cessna 206 would need to be looked over pretty carefully before I would fly it again..............lots of potential damage there...............great vid............thanks.......FWB

That Cessna 206 would need to be looked over pretty carefully before I would fly it again..............lots of potential damage there...............great vid............thanks.......FWB
The skin on those type of planes is pretty thin.

Well if you’re 400 miles from nowhere in the Alaskan bush you get out your duct tape, do what you can, and get the bird in the air. You’d be amazed what you can do to a plane with duct tape.

I would bet that it was ‘yes. Ma’am and no Ma’am‘with that lady!

Well if you’re 400 miles from nowhere in the Alaskan bush you get out your duct tape, do what you can, and get the bird in the air. You’d be amazed what you can do to a plane with duct tape.

I retrofit commercial fishing boats for a living and that reminds me of a yarn a skipper told me while I was steam shipping his boat. “ son I’ve never gone to sea on a boat that was sinking but I’ve come home on one a few times”

Ya, I'll bet a few extra days alone in the Alaskan bush could be terrifying to many people.......FWB

Ya, I'll bet a few extra days alone in the Alaskan bush could be terrifying to many people.......FWB

It’s a big decision to trip that ELT. A lot of planes have flown out of the bush with duct tape repairs. We came out without a tail wheel one day. Not optimal but doable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EllieBoatm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross