Germany to OR Tambo: Which Airline company has affordable prices on bringing a rifle from Germany to OR Tambo?? Lufthansa costs: 500 Euro per rifle

Gert Odendaal

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAJW
Members, please assist : I need to find an Airline to bring a German hunter to SA( OR Tambo) with two rifles ..Lufthansa costs 500 Euro per rifle , it is really excessive according to my estimation..Are there other Airlines my German hunting friend can make use off that is not so expensive per rifle to bring to SA??

Let's begin with which German airport (s) you are considering. And do you want a direct flight or not?

Look into Ethiopian Airlines.
Second that ☝. on another thread I have mentioned my way around Lufthansa charges. However 2 firearms is a box on its own although I did squeeze a Browning A bolt 375 and my Rigby 275 into a Peli 3100 last year. I took the actions out of the stocks. However I digress.

Ethiopian Airlines fly everyday out of Frankfurt, change in Addis Ababa, visit the bowels of baggage handling to check the serial numbers of your firearms and away to SA. Same faff on the way back.

Turkish Airlines also flies indirectly from numerous airports with stopover in Istanbul

Qatar flies FRA to JNB via Doha and seems to be gun friendly. However, there may be some German government fees that you can't get around, regardless of airlines.

Members, thank you kindly, I am sending your answers to my friend in Germany

If your rifle case meets the dimensional requirements of standard suitcases you can look for a tarif having at least two suitcases. One will carry your standard luggage the other one your rifle.

Gert I was flying 2022 with rifle from Vienna - via Addis Ababa - to Windhoek, with Ethiopian airlines.
Gun case and ammo, for free. No extra charges. Normal ticket.
So, check Ethiopian airlines. Some hunters in the airplane were from Germany. They travelled by car to Vienna.

And during Covid Ethiopian flew anywhere their destination government allowed them. You just have to reward that type of behavior.

Thank you members your input is greatly appreciated for sure

If your rifle case meets the dimensional requirements of standard suitcases you can look for a tarif having at least two suitcases. One will carry your standard luggage the other one your rifle.
These rifles are unfortunately mot standard. it is the Black powder rifles from 1885 era and earlier to be used in the annual 1885 Era Black powder hunt I am organizing every year for Black Powder Pioneer hunters where we live as our old hunters did ...for a week ..

Members, please assist : I need to find an Airline to bring a German hunter to SA( OR Tambo) with two rifles ..Lufthansa costs 500 Euro per rifle , it is really excessive according to my estimation..Are there other Airlines my German hunting friend can make use off that is not so expensive per rifle to bring to SA??

stay under 158cm bag size and take it as an additional bag, done it myself

Qatar is anything but gun friendly...never had so much hazzle freighting rifles..I flew Oslo-Doha- Johannesburg in 2019..

They seem gun friendly but their staff does not have a clue..

Lufthansa overcharge beyond reason...very sad this..

Last edited:
Qatar is anything but gun friendly...never had so much hazzle freighting rifles..I flew Oslo-Doha- Johannesburg in 2019..

All about length remove barrel from stock makes compact and under size limits

I have to mention, Quatar police stole items from the traveling hunter`s bags..I asked a friend to bring me a few items along when visiting to hunt here in North West, they stole about all the items, the two containers with steel powder I wanted to use Damascus blade was items they stole and more ..behaving exactly like the South African government, I think they learned from the South African government..

Checkout Eurowings(Creditcard for one year free ans sporting luggage also.It was in 2022)
and Condor.

Not sure about the departure airport, but I think Emirates via Dubai have no trouble or additional fees with guns as long as they are in standard dimension secured baggage. It will take one of the two baggage limit of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeWedel71

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois