GERMANY: My first Waidmannsheil....

yumitori

Reaction score
Articles
Hunting reports
Europe
Hello to you all, 's'

in Germany - most of you might know - one had to pass a rather difficult examination before one can get the "Jagdschein" the hunting licence. At the age of 15, shortly before my 16th anniversary, I failed this examiation and - so were the rules in 1973 - had to repeat the whole one-year course and the 4 days of exam.
I succeeded in 1974 and my father - being tenant of a hunt - to bring down my first roebuck.
One early afternoon I went out together with an old gamekeeper. We climbed a rather high tree stand, hardly convenient for two persons. The problem was that persons less than 18 years in Germany are not allowed to hunt without an experienced person at their side.
Well, I knew the old man's fondness for herb liqeur and purely accidential I had a bottle with me... .
He murmured something and descended the ladder.
Alone, finally alone - I knew the oldtimer would enter his old car and I listened the drops of a steady rain.
Nothing to see in the moor and the brush before me and I lit a cigarette ( o.k. I know, I've quit in the meantine and changed to a seldom but fine cigar...) .
Very, very cautiously I stood up to have a look at my n nearest surroundings and - I turned to a pillar of salt.
andirectly besides the wooden leather - about 20 feet away from the muzzle of my Drilling there stood a nice and really old roebuck. The Good Lord - I call him the Great Hunter - allowed me to admire this buck's body and trophy. The pair of antlers were almost absolutely even except a rather long brow tine on the left.
An almost vertical shot with a Drilling and a mounted scope is not so easy, so I coughed slightly -
Too much for the buck - "he" went and tried to jump off.
"Whamm" I let the round go and was the luckyman of the day - I am sure the buck did not even hear the bang, he was down in his tracks just ten meters away from the ladder.
The rain had develloppped to a downpour in the meantime and I grallocked my first buck, shouldered this -load easily and made my way to the oldtimers'car.
The old man was still asleep and woke up as I closed the tailgate of his car. He saw the trophy and his
"good hunting" was not really joyful.
Dad gave me a big, big hug after we had arrived at the cabin and hung up the buck. I had hunted 5 does before - and don't say this is easy - but this old buck (8 yrs.) was - and still is after nearly 42 years - the most impressive and abiding memory of my hunter's life.
Thank you Dad !
For those who've read my intro Imay explain that my handicap is from birth on but my legs functioned tolerably up to my fifties.

Always good shooting and Waidmannsheil

yumitory

Great story, welcome to AH!

Thanks for sharing! It was a memorable hunt.

Thanks for sharing your memories with us.

Great story. Where there is a will, there is a way!!

Thank you for sharing!

Wonderful story! Thanks!

Waidmanns heil !

Great story!

Thank you for sharing. You took me right to the memories of hunting with my dad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaydenJaco

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,