Germany Hunting Pictures

Wonfderful old boar. And truly wild rather than having been bred on some estate.

I remember doing lots of silly things when I was young! Some of them involved hunting.

I remember doing lots of silly things when I was young! Some of them involved hunting.

unnamed.gif

You mean the time when we were young and crunchy ;)

Brezel,
little dachshund with a big fighter heart.
Unfortunately, since yesterday it no longer beats :cry: .

Brezel daheim.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Brezi Tirol.JPG
I have once again shown these two where the hammer hangs

Sorry for your loss Foxi, these are difficult times filled with sadness. Dogs hold a special place in our hearts.

yes, they do.
Thanks for your words, Jerome.
Digging my four-legged huntingfriends' graves in the forest, is one of the most bitter moments in my life.

Sorry to hear that Foxi

Sorry to hear this Foxi.

one of the tragedies of life is the length of dogs lives.

Real sorry about Brezel, Foxi :(

Sorry for your loss of a wonderful companion and buddy:(

yes, they do.
Thanks for your words, Jerome.
Digging my four-legged huntingfriends' graves in the forest, is one of the most bitter moments in my life.

True. Sorry for your loss.

Trophy processing in Corona times

das war er.jpg

Here he lies, the king of the woods. I once shot him as a young guy with my 700 Remington in 7mm Remm Mag,left hand system and sold the gun without need. Stupid as i can be :(

I don't hang all the trophies I take in the hunt.
Some I give away to friends, bring them to my parental home or - shame on me - I just throw them away.
For decades this trophy has led a stepmotherly life and weathered in various places and now for many years on my balcony. I have never been able to give this deer trophy away, because it is my first "real" deer stag that I was allowed to shoot, decades ago.
All the other red deer before were so-called "Hegeabschüsse".
Anglo-Americans would call them kitchenshots.
I shot them almost all with my beloved Heym bolt action in 6,5 x57.

We have a Corona curfew in Bayern,Germany and therefore more time than usual. Before the curfew, my wife and I decided to whitewash our flat.
I bought white paint and accessories in time,short before the hardware stores were closed.

This stag trophy has looked at me for years complaining and often told me that it was disrespectful of me to allow it to weather, when it once brought me so much joy and hunter pride.
vorher.JPG

Before

So I repainted the skull with the rest of the house paint (I'm not squeamish about that, taxidermists may forgive me), and repainted the rods with potassium permanganate. You can get the stuff for a few cents in any pharmacy.

It is important to cover the whitewashed skull well with plastic bags, you can't get rid of it and the luminosity of these Kalium stains is considerable.
A teaspoonful of potassium mixed with water is overabundant and then the liquid is applied with a brush and one must be careful that no drops form on the trophy, which are wiped off with Kleenex.
nachher.JPG

I think the result is not so bad and all the experiences of this hunt were brought back from memory during the work.
I also promised to treat the deer with more respect than before.
"Hunters are crazy", my wife said shaking her head, when she heard my promise :)

Your wife is so right Foxi :D Cheers:

Looks god! I once shot a young stag just a few days into the season. He was still in velvet but limping badly. After I boiled and cleaned the skull, I used green walnuts and rubbed them onto the antlers, which worked just fine. A little fine sandpaper afterwards for the pearling and it looks just as if he was harvested "normally".

Foxi, I read with sadness on your loss of Brezel your little friend. I am a lover of dogs and must admit tears welled up in my eyes when I read your report. I have a little friend too and cherish the too few days being together.
On a more cheerful note, I really like how you restored your trophy!

Hunting season is finally here! The last two years have been very hard for the german forests. Extreme droughts led to dramatic increases of bark beetles and some serious storms threw loads of spruce trees all over the country.

We will have to plant lots of trees in the coming decade and therefore, our season now starts April 1st instead of May 1st. The law was changed on April 6th this year, so April 7th was the first legal day of hunting roebucks and yearlings (male and female) of all ruminants which is red deer, fallow deer and mouflon over here.

In the beginning it was a little too hot and I did not hunt the easter days (as I don´t hunt christmas as well), but so far it´s working out OK. Got myself a yearling roebuck and a small boar. The boar was quite a rush, they bursted out of the thick cover I was passing all of a sudden, running along the hillside. Knowing the undergrowth would be gone after about 300 yards, I gave chase and ran along with them for about 200 yards. My heart was hammering against my chest when they turned slightly and moved into open beech forest. I laid down on the logging road I was running along and was able to bag this 70 pound female, about 13 months old at about 150 ish yards. I will process it in the afternoon and there´s gonna be some good eating sausages in the near future!

38265028sr.jpeg

38265027oq.jpeg

Perfect example of an absolute cull buck. Close to non-existant antlers and about 20 pounds field dressed.

Attachments

• 38265028sr.jpeg
    38265028sr.jpeg
    311.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 38265027oq.jpeg
    38265027oq.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 125
We have quite good bucks in the area this year.
The mild winter without snow has certainly contributed to a good development.
A few bucks from my hunting buddies and me.
And the season is only a few days old

Bock.JPG

Roebuck is a wonderful game.Worth to hunt it fair.Not so as our Staatsforsten (Government land) do it.
Bock b.JPG

You can hunt it alone,don't need a crew to bring them out of the woods and the meat has the best taste.
Bock d.JPG

not so young
Bock c.JPG

I shoot them often with my .223,because I love this little pill, but a 8x or a 7x57 is much better for the quality of the meat
Bock e.JPG

a hell of a roebuck from the Bavarian mountains
Bock a.JPG

no place like home

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg