German tourist trampled to death by elephant in Zimbabwe

I have no idea as to the "guilt or innocence" of the German tourist, I do know that whatever happened was unfortunate and my condolences go to her family. Most likely the elephant will end up being killed for being a elephant.

A friend of mine use to be the Warden of Mana pools. He told me the story of how he was badly gored by a old dagga boy.

Most days when the warden left Mana Pools Administrative office and walked about 1 kilometer to his home for lunch. Daily he would walk pass a old dagga boy laying chewing his cud. One day the old buff looked at him differently and he knew he was in trouble. He was right, he was badly hooked by that buff. I do not remember what ended the very one sided fight but fortunately the wardens wife is a doctor and was able to stop the bleeding and saved his life. What was his crime, walking home for lunch.

In a weeks time this same ex parks warden, my wife and myself will be "collaring" elephant. Hopefully the elephant will not take too much offense!

I have no idea as to the "guilt or innocence" of the German tourist, I do know that whatever happened was unfortunate and my condolences go to her family. Most likely the elephant will end up being killed for being a elephant.

A friend of mine use to be the Warden of Mana pools. He told me the story of how he was badly gored by a old dagga boy.

Most days when the warden left Mana Pools Administrative office and walked about 1 kilometer to his home for lunch. Daily he would walk pass a old dagga boy laying chewing his cud. One day the old buff looked at him differently and he knew he was in trouble. He was right, he was badly hooked by that buff. I do not remember what ended the very one sided fight but fortunately the wardens wife is a doctor and was able to stop the bleeding and saved his life. What was his crime, walking home for lunch.

In a weeks time this same ex parks warden, my wife and myself will be "collaring" elephant. Hopefully the elephant will not take too much offense!
Stay safe Lon!

If you see one of those Elephant giving that Wardem the ”eye”, l’d suggest you run. Good luck with the collars.

Stay out of range, carry a firearm, study their body language and behavior carefully.
When all else fails shoot accurately! Simple!

Vinootz, I will try to remember your advice (stay out of range), hhmmm?

I meant stay a safe distance for those taking photos that try to get up close. I was thinking more of folks that aren’t on a guided tour but rather on their own. A professional such as you knows what to do and I surely wouldn’t tell you how to conduct your business.Lots of folks go hiking and hunting in their own without professional guides and they often try to get close and even think they can interact with potentially deadly beasts. I’m guilty of it myself. But I am always on high alert and will always have a sidearm on me in the wilderness. I know the risks. For those that get attacked by a stealthy predator
there is little that can be done. That’s just plain bad luck. Do what I say - not what I do. LOl.

E24FD18F-6653-4AE7-A60B-D5773B977765.jpeg
F1EFE2C6-9662-4AC2-BF8C-A43C5525D62C.jpeg
0C6AA858-5812-4672-8D66-4EDDA05EA047.jpeg
07E62B45-A294-419A-914E-2DC409B18A8C.jpeg
FE448C5D-72AE-483E-864E-35700373A42C.jpeg
3F9D68A0-8873-4990-946B-7AA3D564AD99.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of Banff in Canada, I once had to call my wife back from getting too close to two HUGE bull elk when trying to take pix. The hunter in me had detected a change in attitude in the bull closest to us - he was getting uneasy and being a tourist, I had no rifle with me.
Fortunately she listened to me and returned to the road and the bull returned to his grazing.

Speaking of Banff in Canada, I once had to call my wife back from getting too close to two HUGE bull elk when trying to take pix. The hunter in me had detected a change in attitude in the bull closest to us - he was getting uneasy and being a tourist, I had no rifle with me.
Fortunately she listened to me and returned to the road and the bull returned to his grazing.
Should've had your Glock 29 CCW with you?

Source: https://www.iol.co.za/news/africa/german-tourist-trampled-to-death-by-elephant-in-zimbabwe-17244905

Harare, Zimbabwe - Zimbabwean authorities say an elephant has trampled a German tourist while she was trying to take photos of it.

Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority spokesman Tinashe Farawo says the woman died of her injuries hours after the trampling on Wednesday in Mana Pools National Park.

Farawo says the 49-year-old was in a group of tourists who encountered a herd of elephants upon entering the park.

The spokesman says that "we are always asking people to stay away from wild animals; they should keep a safe distance."

Killings of locals and tourists by wild animals are common in the southern African nation, where wildlife authorities constantly struggle to contain potential contact between humans and animals.
Thank you for sharing

This one!

There’s really no excuse for anyone, experienced or greenhorn, to be that stupid. I’ve told my wife that I have no desire to do one of those game drives where no one shows the respect these animals require either.

Stupidity will always claim a few lives here and there, I don't get perturbed by it--some people actually deserve to win the "Darwin Award." On the other hand, I consider it a privilege to access some true wilderness where the nasties can still actually be found and must be respected on their turf. The risk is worth it in my eyes, tho I don't plan to take unnecessary risks.

to be honest i enjoy hearing these stories
one less dumbass in the world
go the animals

Stupid, tough & insurance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,