Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
US and South Africa
My local shop has this intriguing German Mauser 16 bore on the rack.

After researching it some, there seems to be some differing opinions on the date of its conversion from rifle to shotgun. I think it’s post WWI but some say WW2.

Some say safe to fire…after close inspection. Some say don’t fire them, or at least not to load two so as to check the bolt face after firing. They add that they might not be safe to shoot because so much mI doubt I’d shoot it anyway but it would be nice to know either way.

Some say it was converted after the war for hunting and survival for Germans as they couldn’t own rifles. Some say that because it is stamped Germany on the receiver instead of Deutschland, it was converted solely for export to England and the USA. Also because the barrel is stamped Nitro with a mark beside it that I haven’t been able to identify.

Lastly, there seems to be some debate on the value of these old 16 bore conversions. The range I’ve found is from $200 to $700. This one seems to be in descent condition for its age.

He has gea written on the tag so I believe he means Geha(?) but the metal discs that should be on the stock are not there. He admittedly knew nothing about it.

I don’t know who to believe anymore so I’ll throw it out to the experts here. What say you?

32160FE7-5C4D-48F6-9478-6DCF9804E160.jpeg
3E90DDAA-7E46-4E8B-B7B8-C65E199BD31E.jpeg

53558D41-4CB4-4D8B-A7D4-FC3B97F80CD8.jpeg

a friend has a 12 ga and it shoots pretty good, he only uses low field loads in it.

@Red Leg ,any thought's on this one?
It is my understanding that they were indeed a post WWI creation. You find them marketed under the name GEHA, Remo, and Hard Hit Heart - sometimes a mixture with the metal bearing GEHA or Remo and the stock with the Hard Hit impression. I do not know anyone who has actually used one very much. The 12 bores have quite a bit more metal removed from the action than the 16 which is worrisome to me. :unsure: In other words, the 16 has a stronger action. But then again, I have never heard of one actually blowing up. Perhaps this one will be the first! :rolleyes: Another concern to bear in mind is that the military 98 was surface hardened and removing much of that exposes metal with a much softer temper.

I have never measured the chamber length of one, though even if it were 70mm (2 3/4 inch) rather than 67mm (2 1/2 inch), I would use fields loads in it rather than 1 1/4 ounce loads. I think that would limit its application as a dedicated turkey or slug gun.

They are an interesting relic from a fascinating period in history as the German arms industry regained its footing following the debacle of WWI. By the early thirties Suhl and Ulm were again producing some of the finest hunting rifles and shotguns in the world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross