AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
AK WSF, AMM, DSC, GOA, GRAA, NRA, PHASA, SCI, WSF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Argentina, Canada, England, Macedonia, Mexico, Serbia, Alaska, USA
Picked up my Verney-Carron 500NE today. My first double and I couldn't be happier. Ammo and Snap Caps are on their way.

A PH friend of mine in South Africa said "That's gentleman's jewelry right there". I'd never heard that phrase before but think it perfect. But most importantly to me it highlights the difference between our two cultures. One that has gone soft and weak and values everything that's NOT real, and the other just the opposite- what we used to be 40+ years ago.

IMG_6108.jpg

Congratulations on a beautiful double rifle in a proper NE caliber.

The title of this thread is misleading for the reason you pointed out.
I suspected I might see an elk tooth ring-but a gorgeous rifle is much more pleasing and useful!
In sadly in some parts of the US, gentleman’s jewelry would be much different-and more pathetic.

Very nice Sourdough!! Enjoy shooting it.

Gentlemen's jewelry indeed!
Congratulations!!!

Nice ! Congrats :D Cheers:

Thanks for the kind words folks. Got my Snap Caps in early too. My ammo belt comes Tuesday. So now the real work begins, practice, practice, practice so I can develop muscle memory for successfully using a double rifle. Won't have any ammo for another week, maybe two, so maybe by then I'll have trigger selection in my muscle memory from dry firing with the snap caps.

A nice unexpected bonus was thanks to posts from you folks about Buzz Charlton's Hunting The African Elephant dvd. I located a copy on Amazon for $35 and it came in at the same time as the Snap Caps. The best instructional video I've ever seen- on any subject. 2 hours of drinking from a fire hose.

@Aussie_Hunter @Pheroze I'll get some more photos posted in a bit.

More photos. The first is the front sight. I positioned the old-guy blade in the vertical position so you can see the difference between the two. Even though I've got 20/20 vision I actually think I like it better for quick sight alignment. I'll report back on any accuracy differences between the two after I get the ammo. At 25 yards and under on Elephant or Buffalo I can't imagine accuracy would be any different, but that's just a guess at this point.

IMG_6109.jpg

IMG_6110.jpg

IMG_6111.jpg

IMG_6112.jpg

Congratulations on the double. I like the fact you have just the one blade versus the useless folding blades. Also, I see It is grooved for a red dot.
I concur on the Buzz Charlton elephant DVD. I’ll never hunt elephant, but that DVD is exceptional.

Beautiful rifle! Congratulations! I looked at the VC doubles at Dallas Safari Club and they are fine rifles.

Lovely double! Very tastefully featured and that wood looks sublime with the case-colored receiver. Looking forward to a range report.

Sourdough,

congratulations, always nice to hear and see when a dream comes true for someone, nicely done!!!!

JP

It’s an awesome feeling to hold your own double, congrats

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graciehayward01

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg