JKT

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hi everyone!!

I am gearing up to go on my very first hunting safari next year, with Bos en Dal Safaris. I must admit I am feeling so very nervous and shy, especially being a newbie at hunting :Shamefullyembarrased: . This will be a totally new experience for me :)

Any kind words of widsom from the experienced hunters here to help me relax a little :p

Thanks everyone!

Hi JKT,

Don't worry, it will be fine. Enjoy the time in the veld and draw a few breaths. I'm sure the PH will take good care of you and you'll remember the first hunt for the rest of your life. Not only the animals you may or may not shoot, but the whole experience.

Being shy, nervous and excited can be seen in experienced hunters as well as novices when they hunt a new area, or a new species regardless.

"Worrying does not take away tomorrow's trouble, it takes away today's peace"

It will be fine.

Good luck from Hunting Sailor that is not such an experienced hunter that I don't get excited every time I go hunting...

//Gus

P.S I look forward to hear from you when you've completed the hunt.

Reactions: JKT
What you think you need for clothing, cut it in half, then take it down from there. Your PH should have a list of recommended items. Calm down, enjoy the planning, it is part of the experience.
Good luck,
Cody

Enjoy the planning and excitement buildup! Practice shooting off sticks and kneeling. Take only a few changes of clothes, sunblock, and chapstick.

There will be not much to worry about once your there gerrit will take good care of you. As a new hunter if you were not a shooter before deciding to start hunting. Well then the more time at the gun range you can do the better. That is the one thing that is the most important to learn before your trip. Take your gun out and learn how to shoot it well.

The Ph will get you on the game even get you set up on the shot but then your job starts on making a good shot. Once you know you can shoot your gun well it makes the whole trip go better.

Looking forward to seeing how your hunt goes.

Practice, practice and more practice shooting from sticks.

Enjoy the planning and excitement buildup! Practice shooting off sticks and kneeling. Take only a few changes of clothes, sunblock, and chapstick.

Yes do not forget the Chapstick! Enjoy your hunt man! You are going to Africa!!!

I note you belong to KZN hunters. Have you obtained your proficiency? Dedicated status as yet?

What have you hunted thus far?

Welcome to AH.

Hi Brickburn! Yes I got my proficiency certs a few months back :) But still some way off from dedicated status.

In terms of hunting experience, I did some hunting with some friends in indonesia twice over the past year but only small animals - air rifle hunting for squirrel and kalong.... So my experience in hunting is quite limited at the moment. Hopefully that changes quickly as I get more involved! This first safari I will be focusing on small game, but luckily the small critters are the main ones on my bucket list. :p

Last edited:
Thanks everyone so far with your kind words!!

Don't know if anyone would be interested in seeing those Indonesian hunting photos of mine since they are not very impressive animals considering the magnificent and incredible catches uploaded here by the more experienced hunters, but I can load some if anyone is interested hehehe :D

Last edited:
You will be in good hands.
Listen to the PH and have some fun on your hunt.

Good luck.

The preparation is half the fun! The wait will seem like forever, but will well be worth it! Enjoy!

Thanks everyone so far with your kind words!!

Don't know if anyone would be interested in seeing those Indonesian hunting photos of mine since they are not very impressive animals considering the magnificent and incredible catches uploaded here by the more experienced hunters, but I can load some if anyone is interested hehehe :D

Hi JKT,

Excellent advise from everyone here.
So, you will be fine.
The only real stumbling block to hunting in Africa is dealing with all the incompetent and sometimes mean spirited people in the Airline Business.
Not to mention, flying for TWO days (from where I live any way).
You have that part by the throat man.
Being in the African bush, with your rifle and your tip-top PH will definitely be a Peaceful Paradise.

Yes, I for one would love to see your photos from hunting small game in Indonesia.
Especially interested to discover what a "kalong" is.
I am always very keen to hunt small game, any chance I can get.
Here where I live, I no longer hunt anything larger than hare and grouse.
Fun to hunt with my dog and .22 or shotgun plus, good eating.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Hi JKT,

I have hunted with Gerrit twice this year. Once buffalo and the other time plains game. The plains game hunt, I introduced 2 newcomers to ou wonderfull sport, and the way Gerrit managed the hunt, with the newcomers was great. They were very relaxed in his presence , and got their animals.

As a South African , we do not often get to hunt with professional hunters. Out of my experience , I would definitly recommend Bos en Dal, for newbies , as well as experienced hunters.

Relax, and enjoy the preparation , please share with us when you return.

Hi JKT,

Excellent advise from everyone here.
So, you will be fine.
The only real stumbling block to hunting in Africa is dealing with all the incompetent and sometimes mean spirited people in the Airline Business.
Not to mention, flying for TWO days (from where I live any way).
You have that part by the throat man.
Being in the African bush, with your rifle and your tip-top PH will definitely be a Peaceful Paradise.

Yes, I for one would love to see your photos from hunting small game in Indonesia.
Especially interested to discover what a "kalong" is.

I am always very keen to hunt small game, any chance I can get.
Here where I live, I no longer hunt anything larger than hare and grouse.
Fun to hunt with my dog and .22 or shotgun plus, good eating.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Done (y) You can check them out under the photos section.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg