Gear defense against biting dogs in the forests?

Foxi

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Canada, USA,Austria,Turkey,Tschech Rep.,Poland,Hungary,Serbia,Denmark,Khomas HL and Omaheke/Namibia and England(England is wonderful) Romania,Luangwa/Zambia-,Gwayi/Zimbabwe/- + Save/Zimbabwe/- River. Horseback-tours in South Africa and Botswana.
Experience with pepper spray ,or something else ?
Has anyone ever had a problem with it and solved it differently than with a firearm (does not work in Germany).
Thanks for an answer.
Foxi

You can’t shoot a feral dog that is attacking you in Germany?

Also not, in my Country. Most probably this is under EU animal protection directive, or regulation. EC 1099/2009. We have same problem.
practically it is necessary to prove self defense, which some times is very difficult.
(and animal welfare groups just wait for something like this to happen, to start some public campaign)

wow what about bear spray unload a can in its face and I am sure it will think twice

Sorry, we solve it with lead. Off topic, but how much longer are you going to tolerate those idiots in Brussels?

You can’t shoot a feral dog that is attacking you in Germany?

We have almost no feral dogs in Germany. Sure,where there is no plaintiff, there is no judge, it's not Brussels either, not at all, ,it's automatically the increasing urban population which is spreading more and more, and they are becoming more and more stupid.
Our problems are mostly the uneducated dogs of the walkers. If such a dog runs towards you, or your dog growling and 50 m behind the owner calls - in vain - for the dog, then it is usually clumsy to kill the dog. The shitstorm you get is often not worth the trouble, of course, if it is very serious ,then you give only determination, but that is with the pussy - mutts here usually not the case, but I also do not want to let me pinch in the leg and a kick works, but with a German sheepdog, or dobermann you think about it.

In addition, in Germany most hunting grounds are between 500 and 2,500 acres large, and only in your concession you are allowed to carry a gun. Outside, if you do that, you make yourself punishable and here you lose your gun license just because of little things.
Bear spray is not allowed (I think, in some other European countries as well), but there are also smaller agents that should work well.
Foxi

Last edited:
We have almost no feral dogs in germany. Sure,where there is no plaintiff, there is no judge, it's not Brussels either, not at all, , it's automatically the increasing urban population which is spreading more and more, and they are becoming more and more stupid.
Our problems are mostly the uneducated dogs of the walkers. If such a dog runs towards you, or your dog growling and 50 m behind the owner calls - in vain - for the dog, then it is usually clumsy to kill the dog. The shitstorm you get is often not worth the trouble, of course, if it is very serious ,then you give only determination, but that is with the pussy - mutts here usually not the case, but I also do not want to let me pinch in the leg and a kick works, but with a German sheepdog, or dobermann you think about it.

In addition, in Germany most hunting grounds are between 500 and 2,500 acres large, and only in your concession you are allowed to carry a gun. Outside, if you do that, you make yourself punishable and here you lose your gun license just because of little things.
Bear spray is not allowed (I think, in some other european countries as well), but there are also smaller agents that should work well.
Foxi
Interesting that’s a different problem than I was thinking. And no bear spray I don’t know what you do then. Good luck I have fended a couple off with my forestry walking stick but that’s probably not the best option either.

100 ml is allowed in any case and that should be enough.
But there are gels, mists, pepper foam and things like that and I wanted your experience with them.
Sure, stories with the .357 Mag. read nicer :)

server

also a walking stick,but you also have to leave the church in the village, it means the proportionality must be kept

Attachments

• server.jpg
    server.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I've used pepper spray on domestic dogs with good effect.

Bear spray is not allowed (I think, in some other European countries as well), but there are also smaller agents that should work well.
Foxi

You can’t buy or use bear spray?
To bad, because that would solve it.
If you can’t use spray I would be carrying a walking stick.

Cattle prod would work if legal. Walking stick until needed. Small battery operated horn should work also
Interesting that you can't defend yourself from a dog. Strange laws

I used to encounter a nasty little farm dog on a bike route that I used to take a few years ago. A quick squirt in the face with my water bottle sorted him out.
What about a milkbone (dog biscuit) or two in your pocket just in case?

Cattle prod would work if legal. Walking stick until needed. Small battery operated horn should work also
Interesting that you can't defend yourself from a dog. Strange laws

ward off, if possible do not injure, under no circumstances kill.
That goes for everything here.
The law of self-defence is complicated and apparently not available in England.
England has the least to do with the EU laws.
Today's society is just getting stupider and stupider.
There a man was arrested for stabbing a burglar in a fight.

#FreeRichardOsbornBrooks,

@ Dean Mc Donald
rewarding her for attacking me may work, but does not quite fit my character.

Last edited:
If pepper sray cannisters are illegal, make your own homemade version in a squirt bottle, or bring a big badass dog with you.

The second type of pepper spray in Germany is reserved specifically for protection against animals. According to USAG Bavaria’s German Polizei Liaison, Gerhard Maenner, animal-repellent pepper spray is not considered a weapon in Germany and anyone over 18 is authorized to carry it. The label must read Tierabwehrspray, which means “animal defense spray,” or in some way indicate that the pepper spray is only for protection against animals. The only reason for possession must also be for this purpose. The spray is available at sporting goods stores in Germany.

Not sure if this is still accurate. Came from a 2016 article from the US Army Garrison Bavaria website/news blog.

Pepper spray works extremely well.. just remember that all sprays are not equal.. most of the stuff marketed to women and joggers in the tiny little finger sized cans is crap

You want a law enforcement grade product.. and something that sprays a stream rather than a cone

Cones cover wider areas but don’t have the range of a stream.. and cones are much more likely to blow back on the user than a stream if you have any wind...

Back in my police days I used this against dozens of dogs in anything from patrol to SWAT settings.. and never had a failure...

https://foxlabs.com

Fox Labs is some brutally hot stuff...

A dogs nose is sensitive enough that getting a stream on him is good enough.. you don’t need a direct hit on the snout or eyes..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 10.26.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 10.26.23 AM.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 78
I used a pick handle one time to fend off a dog when I was working.

You are pretty much stuck, even if you use a ultrasonic repelled if you are walking your own dog it may affect him also.

Perhaps make up your own spray with some skunk scent and vinegar in a spray bottle if skunk scent is available where you live. A spray of that into their eyes and nose should turn them.

A sock with a fist sized bag of coins to the side of the head tends to stop most. You can always tell the police it is your change purse. Works quite well on people as well.

Just remember, I don't know what your liability laws are where you live but in most countries if you injure the animal you may and can be held for all medical bills.

However if the animal is dead then there are no medical bills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcdowall

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!