Gaining a Professional Hunter license

Thanks shakari I might just do it if I'm in good enough health to chase Vaal Rhebok over top of the highest peak in the Winterburg Mountains(spelling) doing the PH Couse might be fun. Bob :D

We're of a similar age then...... but even at 58, the course is well worth doing just to improve hunting skills and knowledge of how the African hunting industry works...... I'd honestly recommend it to any hunter no matter what their age.

Hi All,

Been reading this thread for a while and really took the time to ponder over a response as its something I personally have a strong feeling about. Let me start with these quotes....

I can never understand why so many PHs nowadays are unwilling to give the new wannabee guys a leg up by way of advice and opportunity and it never used to be like that....... At the risk of sounding like an old fart, when I was trying to get into the industry 30 odd years ago, I was usually (admittedly not always) given help and support from those I sought help from........ They did usually make me work my arse off for it though! LOL!

The good news is there are a reasonable number of guys who have bought my book and used the knowledge therein to work towards and/or gain their first licences.

I'm meeting up with 3 Portuguese guys next week who have become my friends since I moved here 18 months ago and 2 of them will be starting their first year working as qualified PHs later this year. :)

..the old pro's were (some still are) just in a different class, Steve. The reason that I would always be willing to help a youngster was because I could never forget the good men that went out of their way to help me. Sadly, it's not really the same anymore. There are some damn good young pro's around, but I miss the old camaraderie..

Unfortunately @shakari and @DOC-404 you guys hit the nail on the head here. I am one of these cases of not really receiving "a leg up" from those guys successfully involved in the industry and at times the most i have asked for is simple advice but did not even get that. But no tears for me thanks, I'm thick skinned and got irish blood running through my veins so i dont want any handouts, maybe a point in the right direction every now and again! Which means it will be a long and difficult road getting to my dream of becoming a well respected Outfitter one day....and i will get there. And when I do, this thread can be my witness, my door will always be open to those wanting to learn about the industry, those wanting to work together or even those looking for a simple apprenticeship(y) Because heaven knows Iv sent my fair share of emails, made the calls and knocked on doors.

That being said and here's the almost hypercritical side of things (oh boy Im gonna get slayted for this.:unsure:) There is definately an excess of young and talented, well experienced and qualified PHs in RSA that are not working because their simply isn't enough positions available to them, myself included. I don't doubt those guys that are based in other countries, their ability to hunt or guide a client, hell in fact they probably better than some African PHs but i would feel gutted being a born and bred African, growing up amongst the wild animals of the bush only to be told I could not be a PH in my country because some one from over the seas had been hired.:cry:
Iam not sure of the finer details of the Alien Act and yes it probably does need some tweaking but I do agree that the honour of being a PH in Africa should be protected for the citizens. By all means come and do the course and improve your skills but there is already so many locals out there desperate for the same position. But hey should that all change then know this, I will be the first to offer any assistance to anyone out there wanting to be a PH......just give the local guys a chance first!;)

Good luck Debbie you can do it.

Good luck Debbie, wish you all the very best and lots of successful hunting days ahead!(y)

Hi, Tanzania is trying to get less professional hunters, it's to many ph permits for the moment and many of the guys can't find work. Also you must do the apprenticeship for at least 3 years with out salary.... Also it would be tough to find anyone right now that are interested to help you even with contacts !

Zambia is the same story unfortunately, CAR do not have any directly roles so if you do apprentice time 6 month and $100 dollar will probably open the door ;) but you will not find any work there... Only 2 outfitters in the whole country right now. Cameroon is the same thing not very difficult to get a ph permit.

South Africa would be the best, do the ph course with Chappy in Eastern Cape during 2 weeks, and arrange for a working visa for 4 month, you need a address and pass the general knowledge test, so also the legal NC test, the final day you will do a trophy judgement test with 20 Trophy's from 100 meter by binoculars you should not be off more than 5 percent !!! Shooting test most people will manage, and if you miss you are allowed to do this shooting two more times, if you then miss you do not pass the course and you must do the whole course program again but not within one year !

You must also past the school, that will say the director of the school must put his word that you are suitable as ph, if he think that this is not your thing he have full right to note that in the documents and you will never receive you permit !

After that IF Nature Conservation think that your working permit is enough of if they say you need a permanent resident depend if you will receive your plains game ph permit or not, this is African and things are flexible...

After that you need again do the minimum 60 days with a ph and during this time hunting for 3 of the big 5 to get your dangerous game license, you also need again a recommendation both from the director of the school and the PH you did the dangerous game hunting with, do not forget to take photos of the game !!!

Ok now you are ready, do you think there is a work for you in RSA ?

Unfortunately not my friend, but wish you good luck it's a long road to go.

Also remember that your permit as a foreigner will be a PH permit, to have the outfitter status you have to be permanent resident of RSA.

Last edited:
Good luck Debbie!

Probably your best bet is to apprentice in a country that can offer DG experience. Note that Zambia and others will accept you as a visitor for 3 months at a time. I may stand to be corrected but most countries (not Zimbabwe) will issue you a Full license on production of a PH certificate from South Africa. However there is no substitute for experience and most undergo a 2 year apprenticeship in wild remote country.

There was a time when most 'apprentices' were rather looking for a free holiday and therefore I would now charge a fee for a chap to apprentice under me and he would have to have his own car and tools.

Look at hunting as a part time activity and you will need a second job to supplement your income.

Yes Andrew that correct, or you need a wealthy father to support you during the 2 years, and probably a bit after that.. :A Try:

Hello everyone
I've been browsing this forum in search for informations about procedures and requirements for foreigners who wish to become professional hunter in Tanzania.
There is sea of information in which is a bit difficult to determine what is or isn't outdated and so on.

I would be much grateful for any info you guys provide me.

Thank you
Rade

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eye4aneye

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!