Further evaluations of the Sako Brown Bear

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have spoke with at least three members here who talked about walking with a piece of 2x4 with a pipe strapped to it to replicate carrying thier rifle in preparation for their elephant hunts. Living in a reasonably rural part of Kentucky has a few downsides, however one of those downsides is not an aversion to the sight of firearms by the local populace. So I decided to take the Sako Brown Bear for a stroll today just to see how it carried and handled. I am still considering one or two different rifles including an AHR CZ 550 and a Blaser R8 as my main safari "do it all" rifle but I have to say the Sako is quickly securing a place as the front runner and is entirely likely to be the rifle filling that slot.
Here is what I observed today in a short 3.5 mile walk with the rifle. The balance point for this rifle was with the forward action screw centered in my hand, which put the objective of the leupold 1.25x5 just behind my thumb. This resulted in being able to get a good full grip around the whole rifle and the checkering on the stock is quite aggressive in a good way. So aggressive in fact that I actually took the rifle by the barrel and held it over my shoulder and used it as a back scratcher quite effectively, not a necessary requirement but it was damn sure handy, when it is hot, you're hands are sweating and so forth you need all the grip you can get. I have been known to employ skateboard or grip tape on my firearms, including the slides of my carry pistols to facilitate extra grip for high stress situations. With the medium height leupold QR rings I could grip the gun around the action with my thumb over top of the bolt and under the scope tube which allowed me to one hand carry the rifle with the barrel facing straight down and the 21.75" barrel had about 4"-5" of clearance from the ground. I'm 6'0" so results may vary on that one. With the rifle over my shoulder in the traditional "African carry" holding it by the barrel I found it balanced well with the short barrel. These are just a fee observations I made today on this rifle. So far between the carrying and the shooting the rifle is really very well put together. It holds 4+1, excellent trigger, short bolt throw, extremely accurate so far-still more testing to come. Excellent feeding, excellent extraction and ejection with hornady brass, it did not like the Norma brass but i still don't know if that is an issue with that particular batch of brass or something weird with the specs of the Norma brass or an issue with the extractor on the rifle. It was strange and I will test that further but so far it has been 100% with the Hornady. I hope to have further range reports soon when it quits raining. I have good load data worked up and I have it zeroed. Next we will test its long range accuracy out to 400yds for plains game applications and also some speed shooting up close. That short bolt throw on the Sako actions is fast and the rifles stock design and weight makes it handle recoil very well which I think will be a big plus for both the longer range work as well as CQB work.

It sounds like you e got a winner!

It's a 416 Rigby
Screenshot_20220525-141724.png

Interesting, thanks for the review.

I’ve been using a Sako Black Bear in 9.3x62 for about 8 years now. It has a MPI custom express style fiberglass stock on it, EAW pivot rings/bases and a 1-8x24i Schmidt and Bender scope. It also has a back up Leupold 2.5x20 M8.

I took it to Cameroon in 2016, RSA in 2018 and Mozambique in 2021. it has accounted for LDE, Savanah Buff, a couple of Cape Buff, Sable, Cape Eland, Bofors Reedbuck, Lichtenstein Heartebeast, Oribi, Red Duiker, PuKu, warthog, red duiker, and maybe a dozen bush buck.

It’s also taken a truck full of black bears, one whitetail and a Newfoundland moose.

It’s short, relatively light, easy to carry, scary accurate and reliable. At one point I was rifle crazy and bought or swapped rifles monthly. I thought the short bolt throw and (semi) CRF pretty nifty for a DG gun. A spare detachable box mag seemed cool as well.

I have taken it as backup for my SxS Chapuis 450-400 3inch. It’s nice to carry when elephants, buff and hippos are around but you are really looking for PG.

I lean towards Mauser 98s now for true DG hunting (and doubles of course) and like longer barrels for balance, recoil management and swing. The Sako detachable mag design works well, but I prefer a blind magazine as something that can’t really go wrong. Not sure it’s really a CRF but it’s better the a Rem 700 for sure.

I have, what I consider, better rifles now but I can’t seem to let this one go. Maybe it’s that it’s scary accurate and reliable?

I’m not sure what the black finish is on the metal but it isn’t that tough. I most of gotten a little blood on the barrel and it rusted very quickly. A lot of oil and some steel wool took care of the rust but the finish is quite worn now.

Last edited:
Very nice.

@Backyardsniper...I'd like to know how you feel R8 compares to the Sako.

Last edited:
Very nice.

@Backyardsniper...I'd like to know how you feel R8 compares to the Sako.
I have not yet gotten to handle an R8. I would very much like to shoot one. In theory it seems like a really good idea, I like the versatility of switch barrel set ups. I am curious about them but I just don't know if they are quite awesome enough to command the price they sell for. I need to try one.

Interesting, thanks for the review.

I’ve been using a Sako Black Bear in 9.3x62 for about 8 years now. It has a MPI custom express style fiberglass stock on it, EAW pivot rings/bases and a 1-8x24i Schmidt and Bender scope. It also has a back up Leupold 2.5x20 M8.

I took it to Cameroon in 2016, RSA in 2018 and Mozambique in 2021. it has accounted for LDE, Savanah Buff, a couple of Cape Buff, Sable, Cape Eland, Bofors Reedbuck, Lichtenstein Heartebeast, Oribi, Red Duiker, PuKu, warthog, red duiker, and maybe a dozen bush buck.

It’s also taken a truck full of black bears, one whitetail and a Newfoundland moose.

It’s short, relatively light, easy to carry, scary accurate and reliable. At one point I was rifle crazy and bought or swapped rifles monthly. I thought the short bolt throw and (semi) CRF pretty nifty for a DG gun. A spare detachable box mag seemed cool as well.

I have taken it as backup for my SxS Chapuis 450-400 3inch. It’s nice to carry when elephants, buff and hippos are around but you are really looking for PG.

I lean towards Mauser 98s now for true DG hunting (and doubles of course) and like longer barrels for balance, recoil management and swing. The Sako detachable mag design works well, but I prefer a blind magazine as something that can’t really go wrong. Not sure it’s really a CRF but it’s better the a Rem 700 for sure.

I have, what I consider, better rifles now but I can’t seem to let this one go. Maybe it’s that it’s scary accurate and reliable?

I’m not sure what the black finish is on the metal but it isn’t that tough. I most of gotten a little blood on the barrel and it rusted very quickly. A lot of oil and some steel wool took care of the rust but the finish is quite worn now.
That's what I'm talking about. You know when you get a rifle that matches with you. You find yourself picking it up and using it even when you have "better" options. Ha ha

Ya gotta love a guy who has a Leupold mounted on the gun and an extra one just laying around in his rifle cradle - LOL!!!!

You and BeeMaa should connect so you can try out a Blaser! He really likes them!

Another fine rifle that has crossed my kitchen table! Glad you like it. I bought it new from a dealer nearby that had had it for a couple of years. I fondled it every time I went in there. So one day I finally succumbed to the urge and took it home. And now....it's story continues!

Ya gotta love a guy who has a Leupold mounted on the gun and an extra one just laying around in his rifle cradle - LOL!!!!

You and BeeMaa should connect so you can try out a Blaser! He really likes them!
I like to have back ups for my back ups. :sneaky: you can never be too prepared.

I will keep y'all posted, I want to buy some 300gr barnes and see what this rifles potential is as a longer range PG gun. Even with the 400 grain A Frames at 2400fps the ballistics are very reasonable out to 400yds. I has a 10.6MOA, which is 44" of drop, from a dead 100yd zero and still maintains 2345ft lb of energy at 400 yds. When you consider a 308 has 2500ft lb at the muzzle that is the same amount of energy a 308 would deliver at about 50yds. With something like a 1-4 vortex or the 1-8 Nightcore NX8 with exposed turrets she would be very capable indeed at those distance if it provides at least 1 MOA performance that would keep all of your shots inside a 4.2" circle at 400yds. Definitely Minute of Plains Game

The 300 grain bullet can be pushed to 2750 which gives a 7.2 MOA come up and holds 2600ftlb of energy at 400yds. It is honestly possibly capable of 500yd performance if the rifle can produce enough accuracy.
It gives 10.7 MOA and holds 2200ft lb of energy to 500yards. Wind drift is not good but if the wind isn't acting up it is definitely capable. Looks like i am about to order some 300 grain bullets right now!!! We got some testing to do!
Screenshot_20220527-110252.png
Screenshot_20220527-110537.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imogen6571

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois