FTW Outfitters - SAAM Safari Training Review

Now THAT could get messy!

BTW - just ordered snap caps for the yet to arrive 450-400 NE!

Thanks for the reminder!

Didn't know you were getting a new one. Congrats!

A little more on the short course from yesterday. I arrived with my 308 and 375, never shot the 375. First, we sighted in at 50 yards. (Now, I have to go to the range and re-sight back in at 100). While sighting in, the instructor did not like how I was shooting from the bench. Out came the tool box and bi-pod, and he moved the scope all the back to the stock as far as possible (that was counter to what I was told to move the scope as far forward as possible to prevent scope rash), and then came the adjustable cheek pad. Going to call, to buy a couple of those, Royal says they are custom designed for SAAM.

Then the snap drills. Buffalo target were set up, they get you in the ready position and tell you to fire. As Royal said your gun is posted up with thumb on safety and finger on the trigger guard, turn and shoot, easy enough. Then its speed time. Load up, and they yell which one to shoot left or right and they mix it up. Add to that they yell reload too while your shooting. That was 40 rounds in 1 hour! Thank god, the was not my 375 or I would not be able to type today. Next up was the sticks. Everyone had no trouble shooting off the stick when not under a time constraint. That's were the problems started. You are on the line and the instructor starts counting as you run to you sticks set up and shoot, the diamond, the time of first shot 8 second, second shot 6 seconds and third shot 4 seconds and removing your gun between shots walk back to start and then forward to the sticks again. Next they had sticks out to 300 yards using various positions (double sticks, PH as Elbow rest, etc) , I need some practice here too.

Tried googling SAAM cheek pad and came up with nothing. Anyone got a link? I'm interested in this.

Tried googling SAAM cheek pad and came up with nothing. Anyone got a link? I'm interested in this.

I have google it, look at every photo on google photos, looked at eBay and cannot find the ones they had anywhere, going to call them and see if they will sell me some without taking the full course. I am told the owner sells them.

Last edited:
They stress, stress.

Make it hard in practice and hopefully easy, or at least familiar when it gets real.

Moving pie plate sized targets at 30 yards is part of the full course, and you also do it after your standing shot on a buff, immediately.

Well guess what? I shot my buff in thick brush and he ran out, broadside, about 35 yards away. Reloading and shooting was natural at that point and as I was getting ready for the second shot the thought of "this is just like training " flashed through my mind.

The buff went down and a third insurance shot was taken at PH instruction. The three shots could be covered by my hand. Am I that good? Hell no! Some luck was involved, but I increased my luck exponentially through training.

DSC00302.JPG

They stress, stress.

Make it hard in practice and hopefully easy, or at least familiar when it gets real.]

Now, where have I heard that before? :cool::D

When practising don't worry too much about doing it fast, worry about doing it right. I was watching a video by Max Michel (top IPSC shooter) he does 70% of his training at half speed. His theory is that by doing it slow he does it correctly, so when he does need to go fast the movements are automatic. Chris Sajnog (ex navy seal) suggests similar things.

Slow is smooth...

Smooth is fast...

Also be interested in cheek pads. I was looking at one made by Beartooth Products. Comes with several different sized inserts so you can adjust to fit you, for $25. Anybody use these before?
beartooth-comb-raising-kit-black-rifle-cheek-weld-piece-stock-riser_2.jpg

Attachments

• beartooth-comb-raising-kit-black-rifle-cheek-weld-piece-stock-riser_2.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 164
Well I e-mailed Tim Fallon, he does sell them. Going to buy two. Very pricy ($60 each), but buying two I don't have to pay shipping.

Also be interested in cheek pads. I was looking at one made by Beartooth Products. Comes with several different sized inserts so you can adjust to fit you, for $25. Anybody use these before?

I have and I like it.
It is very comfortable. The different size shims helps a lot adjusting the height. It is a pain in the neck if you what to move it (often) from a rifle to another. Even if it's made of neoprene, under a week of shooting it slowly creeps forward with the recoil/cheek weld friction. I will improve mine by adding a (Velcro) band over the recoil pad to prevent slippage.

IMG_0874.JPG

Ok my SAAM cheekpad's arrived today. I looked at several with a google search. Close was The Blackhawk Urban Warfare IVS & the Hornady, they are one in the the same. I found the manufacturer of the SAAM, it's Spec.-ops. www.specopsbrand.com. $47 versus $65 but you don't get the SAAM logo on the $47 model. But with the OEM model you do get a choice of colors and a pull ring.

On another SAMM note, if anyone is in the South Texas Area, DSC South Texas will have a Group SAAM training early March at a discount. Must be a member DSC South Texas to attend.

On another SAMM note, if anyone is in the South Texas Area, DSC South Texas will have a Group SAAM training early March at a discount. Must be a member DSC South Texas to attend.

Worth it at full price, trust me!

@wesheltonj , will it be the precision course, safari course, or a combination?

I really want to get back and do the precision now that I've done the safari.

Worth it at full price, trust me!

@wesheltonj , will it be the precision course, safari course, or a combination?

I really want to get back and do the precision now that I've done the safari.

I believe its the Safari.

I just read a review of the Precision Course by Larry Weishuhm, host of Trailing the Hunters Moon -- on The Sportmens Channel. That course gets you shooting out to 700 yards and beyond, so that when your within 200-300 yards its a one shot kill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg