Frustrating day at the range

Voodooracer

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I made a quick impromptu range trip today with my cz 550 In 375 h&h to check my zero with my 300 grain federal tbbc's, they always shot right around +/- one moa and all of a sudden it is shooting two feet to the right and I tried adjusting the scope roughly 1.5 feet, and it put the bullet in the same spot only 6 inches lower, then I purposely held 2 feet to the left after the adjustments and it still wouldn't group. I think it's an issue with the warne qd rings, I took the scope (leupold 1.5-5x20) off the rifle and replaced it a few weeks ago. I've never had an issue with the rifle up until now. I ordered some alaska arms rings and will give those a try instead.

Did you check the rings to see if they were tight?

You said you took the scope off the rifle and replaced it a few weeks ago. I presume this means you made use of the QD feature, took the scope off and then put the same scope back on. If this is the case, are you certain you reattached the scope correctly. I remember a time I did this procedure wrong....yeah I'm not sure how I did it wrong either, but the result was more/less the same.

If you're sure you had it on correctly, I'd take the scope off and give it a shake or two. You may have dislodged an internal lens. If so, you'll hear it plinking around when you shake it.

In the end the rings may be the problem, but I've got a bunch of Warne's on various rifles and have never had a problem.

Could be the scope but definitely check the scope mounting system

Check the QD set up first. correct and tight.

Then check the scope. I have only had the cross hairs fray in one scope. An i am not sure what to check if there are other internal issues.

Good news is that Leupold has a very good warranty.

Another thing I recommend is to put a target up at 25 yards, pull the bolt and see if the scope is lined up with the barrel. A gun zeroed for 25 yds is usually good at 200 yds too.

I've dealt with a loose bell housing and loose QR rings on two different rifles in the last year. It could be anything in the chain. You just have to go through the process of elimination...

Another thing I recommend is to put a target up at 25 yards, pull the bolt and see if the scope is lined up with the barrel. A gun zeroed for 25 yds is usually good at 200 yds too.

Yup, good idea.

Gotta be the mounts or the scope, more likely the mounts. Of course scopes do fail, even the good ones.

Thanks everyone, I took your advice and tried what you suggested. I looked at the scope and gave it a very close once over so it leads me to believe it's the mounts, they don't seem to be locking correctly or consistently. I hopped online and ordered up a set of the Alaska arms rings today so hopefully in a few days I'll have it up and running again! Thanks for all the great info, I'd be lost without your help. I will keep updates on the progress

Thanks everyone, I took your advice and tried what you suggested. I looked at the scope and gave it a very close once over so it leads me to believe it's the mounts, they don't seem to be locking correctly or consistently. I hopped online and ordered up a set of the Alaska arms rings today so hopefully in a few days I'll have it up and running again! Thanks for all the great info, I'd be lost without your help. I will keep updates on the progress

If it's the mounts, I'd give Warne a call. Some of their rings work with what I call a key. You see these on the ones that work with Weaver type base. I lost one of those once, gave them a call and they sent me one for free. Cheap little piece and I'm sure it costs them pennies. Offered to at least cover the postage, they wouldn't have anything of it.

If there's something wrong with the rings, I'd be surprised if they don't make it right. The QD's aren't cheap.

Plus one on the Alaska Arms QDs

This will be the 3rd set of Alaska arms rings I've purchased, the other two for Ruger's and I love how well they work and the customer service is top notch. The warnes have been okay for me, they wouldn't hold the zero when I removed and replaced the scope even before I had this issue but were close enough, I got a good deal on the warnes when I bought them a while ago so it's not the end of the world to replace them.

I changed the scope on my 30.06, had an "expert" put the new mounts on it. Couldn't even get a round onto the paper at 100 yards. Had it remounted, bore-sited it, shot at 25 yards...bingo! On the paper, an inch and a half to the right.

I know what you mean Upton O. Good, I have had a couple "pros" mount 2 scopes for me a long time ago and both times the scope was noticeably canted so I bought a ring lapping kit and leveling kit and I haven't had any problems since. I usually use the old take the bolt out and look down the bore and scope at 25 yards trick and it gets me close enough to work with

I know what you mean Upton O. Good, I have had a couple "pros" mount 2 scopes for me a long time ago and both times the scope was noticeably canted so I bought a ring lapping kit and leveling kit and I haven't had any problems since. I usually use the old take the bolt out and look down the bore and scope at 25 yards trick and it gets me close enough to work with

I'm with y'all I used to think that mounting a scope was such a big deal, but it really isn't. Just level, check eye relief, and torque properly. Heck, I even used my smartphone as my level on one scope. Now admittedly, it was a Ruger 10-22 and not my Lott!

I have the Talley QR rings and they've been very good on my 500 Jeffery. Always come back to within 1/2" at 100 yards, never gotten loose either. Good to hear the Alaska Arms rings are excellent as well.

I got the Alaska arms rings installed, so a trip to the range will be in order very soon haha. I can't say enough about alaska arms, I ordered the rings and I ordered a set of the low rings by accident, within 3 hours of placing my order, Morris, the owner of the company, called me personally and said before he shipped my order that those mounts would be too low for the bolt to clear the objective bell on standard scope setups and changed my order to the correct ones. Talk about stellar customer service! I continue to be amazed by the folks at Alaska arms and can't recommend them enough! I will post once I get out to the range

I got the Alaska arms rings installed, so a trip to the range will be in order very soon haha. I can't say enough about alaska arms, I ordered the rings and I ordered a set of the low rings by accident, within 3 hours of placing my order, Morris, the owner of the company, called me personally and said before he shipped my order that those mounts would be too low for the bolt to clear the objective bell on standard scope setups and changed my order to the correct ones. Talk about stellar customer service! I continue to be amazed by the folks at Alaska arms and can't recommend them enough! I will post once I get out to the range
I'd never even heard of them, but the way you guys talk I will check them out next time I need rings.

Good luck and let us know!

I will. Is highly recommend them, they have an outstanding product and are outstanding people to deal with

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
outlookindiac

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg