Front sight - hooded or not?

I’ve always removed the hoods from my front sights. I find they interfere with the sight picture on the target.

I’ve always removed the hoods from my front sights. I find they interfere with the sight picture on the target.
i had one on my Westley Ricards DR and hated it given it reduced my field of vision

I don’t mind or notice the hood in my field of vision. I do not like the shade on the front sight. I can notice that at low light.

I've been using Fibre-Optic front sights for many years since they were first introduced, without a sight hood, and have yet to break or damage one (ALL my iron-sighted rifle carry FO sights).

If you buy directly from Williams, they will supply you the correct height front Firesight with either a 5D or FP receiver peep sight in their Levergun Firesight Peep Sight Set.

A solid hood will prevent ambient light from iluminating the FO rod/element, although the Williams hood with the hole cut in it's roof should do the trick for those who just can't go through life unhooded.

I've been using Fibre-Optic front sights for many years since they were first introduced, without a sight hood, and have yet to break or damage one (ALL my iron-sighted rifle carry FO sights).

If you buy directly from Williams, they will supply you the correct height front Firesight with either a 5D or FP receiver peep sight in their Levergun Firesight Peep Sight Set.

A solid hood will prevent ambient light from iluminating the FO rod/element, although the Williams hood with the hole cut in it's roof should do the trick for those who just can't go through life unhooded.
Chaplin, you “never broke a fiber optic site?” Do you ever leave your house? I want to know your secret because I’ve never had one that didn’t break. Benelli has been using them on their SBE and Montefeltro shotguns for 20 years and I managed to break them for the past 19. It’s so frequent that now I don’t even replace them if they are “half broken off” - just use the small metal loop/hood that holds them down as a “bead”. I like fiber optic beads for a hunting shotgun but Not for skeet or Sporting Clays. Please tell me your “secret” for keeping them UNbroken....

Get a English pop up one

My biggest pet peeve with hoods is that recoil kicks them off eventually. So, no hoods for me. Now, if you are using a rat caliber like a .375, then no issue. ;)
Yup, my .500 has a NECG front sight with a retainer button and the damned thing still flies off if I happen to leave it on while using its red dot optic.

Had one on my CZ550 375H&H and it must have popped off half a dozen times before I stopped putting it on. It was more of a look than practical application to me.

In all my years of hunting, I don’t recall ever wishing I had one. None of my current rifles have them and I don’t believe I’ll have one in the future.
Been almost a year since I posted this…nothing has changed. In this case, less is more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!