Friendswoodmatt here-- nice to meet you

Welcome to AH friendswoodmatt! Lots of valuable info here for the planing of your first hunting safari. Enjoy exploring the site.

Happy planning.

Welcome to AH.

We are here to enable you!

Welcome aboard - have fun with the process.

Howdy Matt! Got a handful of friends down in Friendswood.

Welcome to AH!

Welcome welcome welcome

Welcome to AH have fun planing your hunting trip go check out deals and offers we have great all inclusive hunting trips available at great prices.

Just getting into the planning stages of my first safari -- recently retired and ready to chase my real dreams!
Seems like a great group of likemind folks who can help me out with the experience and advice!

Welcome @friendswoodmatt
Do you have an idea of where you want to go, or what you want to do?
Namibia is a great destination.
please have a look at my website www.spsafarisnamibia.com

Good day sir.

Welcome to AH. We sent you a pm. Just check your inbox.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards
The Wintershoek Safaris Team

Welcome friendswoodmatt to AH! You have a grand adventure awaiting you in Africa!

From Texas I’m guessing?
Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH

Welcome aboard friendswoodmatt. AH is the best place to get all of your questions answered. How about telling us a little more about yourself as it relates to hunting. Things like what have you hunted previously, what kind and caliber rifles do you own, do you reload. Do you have any specific animals in mind for your first safari?

Wow-- thanks for the responses-- I will try and cover all of these questions--
Me
I am from Texas was born and raised here -- I am 52 and retired this past August, I am out of shape terribly and working on it. I have hunted deer, varmints, axis and other exotics as they pop up on my ranch in Junction, Tx. I hunted earlier this week in South Texas and was fortunate to take an old nilgai bull. Other than that I do not have any really big animal experience.
Guns--
As far as guns -- my Dads dream (R.I.P.) was to go to Africa and consequently I am the proud owner of 2 BRNO ZKK 602's in .375. It's been years since I shot them and I am going to start practicing with them. I dont like the backwards safety's as it where and am going to see if I can find a smith to change these to operate more like what I am used to I would want to take at least some of the game with one of these rifles.
I also have a decent amount of other calibers as well-- .270's,.308's, .300 win, 25-06, and others
I do not reload -- my dad did - but I find it to tedious and get sloppy (not a good thing) -- so I dont do it.
The nilgai I just took was with a friends .416 rem its built on a 700 action and I liked the gun-- I am thinking of trading off one of the .375's and getting a .416, or just getting a .416-- not sure if I need to do this for my buff
Animals
Spiral slam -- thats Eland, Kudu (southern), bushbuck, nyala I think
Gemsbok
at least 1 Cape buffalo-- this is the big deal for me-- I may want to shoot 2 not sure yet
Warthog (pumba)
baboon
maybe a jackal or a hyena if possible

Other stuff as it pops up-- Prob impala, Red hartebeest, honestly I am not sure what all is over there
not really interested in the tiny antelopes
One of the outfitters here has my attention in that they shoot a lot of culls for the locals and camp meat after your primary hunt-- I think this would be great fun
Quality
as far as the quality of the animals -- I want mature representative specimens -- the tape measure does not mean much to me -- I want old animals save the kudu the tape is important here
Kudu
I would like a nice kudu -- 47-55" if possible-- I want an impressive mount -- but I doubtt my eyes would tell the difference between 47 and 55 on the wall-- maybe it would
Buffalo
I have a Picture on my wall by Robert Bateman called "Master of the Herd "--I have seen this picture everyday for the last 30+ years and I am not sure if this is a huge bull or not-- but that's my idea of a buff-- I want a big old hard bossed DB -- one where people look at the mount and say-- "Man I bet that guy stunk" if that makes sense.
Place
I am not a high fence guy-- or haven't been --But that being said "I haven't been on a truly large high fenced place before, so I am not ruling that out for the antelopes and other stuff--that being said-- I'd like to avoid them if possible
the Buff has to be fair chase the whole way-- no high fences--
Elephants,hippos, cats, and other things are not on the bucket list at this time
I realize I may need to book with more than one outfitter to achieve this-- that's why I am learning what I need to do and reading stories
Camp--
I am fine with pretty much any camp-- tent camping appeals to me prob more than the big lodge, but there is something to be said for a lodge as well-- I would like to have the ability to take a shower (warm is better than cold) every other day if possible. I am very flexible here
I would like to bring my wife-- she may or may not:
1.hunt
2.stay for thee whole thing
3.Photograph/video
When--
I am looking at 2020 after august or 2021 (I am not sure when the season is) as I will have all of the kids out of thee house then and I wont be tied to any schedule if I want to extend the fun as it where.
I am thinking 14 days or 21 to get it done
that's what I have so far-- If I failed to answer all the questions-- feel free to PM me

friendswoodmatt, thank you for the complete rundown. Now we know where you are coming from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg