Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association of Australia + CRM Gunsports (Cairns)
My friend, Baz has just dropped in to show his new 500 NE double. The timber is Turkish walnut. I have never held a double before and I am very surprised just how heavy it is.
Baz will test fire on Friday. Should be interesting to see how it performs. Later on he is going buffalo hunting in the Northern Territory.
IMG_1865.jpg 500 NE.jpg

Looks like just this one time "keeping up with the Joneses" wouldn't be a bad idea. Are the two of you going on the same hunt?

My friend, Baz has just dropped in to show his new 500 NE double. The timber is Turkish walnut. I have never held a double before and I am very surprised just how heavy it is.
Baz will test fire on Friday. Should be interesting to see how it performs. Later on he is going buffalo hunting in the Northern Territory.
View attachment 219660

Dr Ray what make of double is the 500?

Looks like just this one time "keeping up with the Joneses" wouldn't be a bad idea. Are the two of you going on the same hunt?

No not this time. I’m going to be at Darwin on 31 May with my son Craig to go out with friends.
Unfortunately I haven’t hunted with Baz for s long time. I used to his 460 weatherby.

A friend of mine from the Port McQuarrie area took some buff and bantang up north with his 1895 .405 WCF a couple of years back. His group did well and all took multiple critters. No hoppers tho.

A friend of mine from the Port McQuarrie area took some buff and bantang up north with his 1895 .405 WCF a couple of years back. His group did well and all took multiple critters. No hoppers tho.

I have a Bantang in my wish list too. I was only talking about that literally yesterday. Port Macquarie is a long, Long way from where I live.
That’s impressive using a 405 - lever action ???

That's a beauty!

Dr Ray tell your friend he has a beautiful double. Good luck on your hunt! I will also warn you if you shoot his double after the first right and left you will be wondering where you can get your own. A friend let me shoot his Merkel 500 and I have owned 11 different with 6 living in my safe. So after you shoot his let us know what your first double will :cool:

Dr Ray tell your friend he has a beautiful double. Good luck on your hunt! I will also warn you if you shoot his double after the first right and left you will be wondering where you can get your own. A friend let me shoot his Merkel 500 and I have owned 11 different with 6 living in my safe. So after you shoot his let us know what your first double will :cool:

As I’m weak willed and easily lead astray I do not believe I need any encouragement!

Well @PHOENIX PHIL has accused me of being a bad influence:rolleyes: So I guess I have to live up to his statement

And you believe in weak willed etc!

Apparently I’m the ring leader of the bandits.
Just like I was led astray at St Francisville near Baton Rouge by Tom!
At least I can blame someone other than myself. I was forced to drink beer!! Shame on Tom Shame Shame shame! He was obviously a bad influence. Tom is a so-called relative.
My motto - always take a friend that way you can share the guilt etc

Yep we were the lead adventurous young boys that jumped off the cliff into the lake and shared the guilt:) not to mention all the mom's wanting their son's to stay away. and we won't go into daughters and fathers...

I will also warn you if you shoot his double after the first right and left you will be wondering where you can get your own. A friend let me shoot his Merkel 500 and I have owned 11 different with 6 living in my safe. So after you shoot his let us know what your first double will :cool:

Happened to me too, it was an outfitter not a friend but it was also a Merkel except in 470NE, only own one so far but with two sets of barrels. Watch out there Dr Ray!

Dr Ray asked "That’s impressive using a 405 - lever action ???"

Yes, a scoped Miroku/Winchester 1895 .405 WCF firing 300 grain bullets.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WaylonTova

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!