Fountain pen appreciation

I couldn’t help noticing (as a carpenter and the grandson of a carpenter joiner) that the legs for the desk have been set up back to front BUT that kind of error often happens with advertising images. Nice looking kit, provided that the missus gets what she wants, first.
Very observant!

What ink and color are you guys using?
I am playing around with ink made by Ferris Wheel Press. They are based in Toronto. They have some interesting colours. I am staying away from the more dramatic ones as they have particulate in them. They are a bit thick but seem to flow nicely. I think I can't post links now but if you google it they come up. Otherwise, my utilitarian ink was Lamy. They have an ingenious ink pot with a roll of blotter attached. BTW I order all this stuff, so no need to find a local store if they won't accommodate you.

A word of caution about Cross pens. The ink they put in their cartridges is crap. Too thick and doesn't flow. Unfortunately, my custom burl pen only accepts Cross cartridges. Fortunately, it also has an optional plunger pump. It likes Scrip ink the best but very hard to find up here. Parker ink is all that's available at our local office supply. Hmmm. There is an artist supply store in town that may have other options. I'll check. Twenty years ago when I was doing my PhD in Winnipeg I had lots to choose from for my cheap Shaeffer pen (from my HS days!). My favorite color back then was "Peacock Blue" with a bit of regular blue mixed in to make my writing unique.

I like the brown, also difficult to find. Mont Blanc makes it and I got a bottle the other day. They also have it in cigar smell and single malt smell editions, so you get to enjoy the smell too.

A word of caution about Cross pens. The ink they put in their cartridges is crap. Too thick and doesn't flow. Unfortunately, my custom burl pen only accepts Cross cartridges. Fortunately, it also has an optional plunger pump. It likes Scrip ink the best but very hard to find up here. Parker ink is all that's available at our local office supply. Hmmm. There is an artist supply store in town that may have other options. I'll check. Twenty years ago when I was doing my PhD in Winnipeg I had lots to choose from for my cheap Shaeffer pen (from my HS days!). My favorite color back then was "Peacock Blue" with a bit of regular blue mixed in to make my writing unique.

I have far too many inks at present, but some favorites are Pilot Iroshizuku ku jaku, Sailor Manyo haha (broad nibs only), Diamine Red Dragon, Diamine Imperial Purple and Organics Studio Walden Pond.

I don't tend to use a lot of basic black and blue inks, don't see the point when you can do that in a ballpoint, but I used quite a lot of Sailor black for my university exams where black was required.

Diamine Presidential is a nice blue/gray, Pelikan 4001 for daily use in any pen, flows nicely.

Montblanc blue/black, black for serious use.

Diamine Oxblood, if you need a red ink !

Melville and Moon have introduced a campaign writing desk that I had the pleasure of sitting at yesterday. Imagine the pleasure of putting that Holland and Holland pen to some fine bond at that very desk, field bar to one side and the Zambezi flowing by metres away.

It shall be done!
View attachment 536312
The writing desk is perplexing. Presumably it's designed to be a traveler like the booze box. But note that the box part is setting on a large tray. No drop front. In fact, no way I can see that the front closes up. I'm sure I can design something much better for transport. The design for this ammo box came right out of my head. Never even drafted a preliminary blueprint. The drawer is spring loaded and locked with the brass capped plunger rod on right side. Someday it will make a grand keepsake for my grandson.
Ammo Box Montage.jpg

The writing desk is perplexing. Presumably it's designed to be a traveler like the booze box. But note that the box part is setting on a large tray. No drop front. In fact, no way I can see that the front closes up. I'm sure I can design something much better for transport. The design for this ammo box came right out of my head. Never even drafted a preliminary blueprint. The drawer is spring loaded and locked with the brass capped plunger rod on right side. Someday it will make a grand keepsake for my grandson.
View attachment 536347
That is a very good looking ammo box OH, for sure it will last generations.

Some of the M&M stuff is a little tongue in cheek, it is nice make no mistake, but you need to use a little imagination on the 'campaign' label.
I get my campaign stuff made by a master cabinet maker in Harare and it is genuinely world class. It is all solid teak, with imported brass fittings from England. I got him to make my safari drinks cabinet, photo below. It, like your work, is full of care.
32AF7922-2C22-4369-BC68-08AD118AB07E.jpeg

That is a very good looking ammo box OH, for sure it will last generations.

Some of the M&M stuff is a little tongue in cheek, it is nice make no mistake, but you need to use a little imagination on the 'campaign' label.
I get my campaign stuff made by a master cabinet maker in Harare and it is genuinely world class. It is all solid teak, with imported brass fittings from England. I got him to make my safari drinks cabinet, photo below. It, like your work, is full of care.
View attachment 536365
A couple years ago I left the trap club with ammo box on top of my Jimmy. It didn't fall off till I was on the paved county road. One of the other club members was following and picked it up. A small piece of wood was knocked out of one bottom corner but otherwise unscathed. Built to last. I made a double gun case to match but with two A-5s inside I can hardly pick it up.

Finally got a Big Red - current production, so no patina or historical charm.

A companion to my 51, nice to have both of the war-ending Parkers in my fountain battery.

IMG_5999.jpg

Attachments

• Mightier Than the Sword: The Parker Pens That Ended World War II | The National WWII Museum | ...pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 21

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross