Forum group buy for a knife

Sorry, I sent a message on AH. I will find your email address.

Thanks Bill. It is easier for me if I have everything in the one place.

Email sent! And thank you :)

All emails answered and up to date

Well Cole, Garry has a solution for that problem and I am taking advantage of it. Garry also makes some very nice kitchen knives. I know my wife appreciates a good sharp knife in the kitchen, so I ordered a few of these:
Going to go with a black micarta handle on 4 knives and not getting the clever (I'm afraid what my wife would do with it).
i282882364627994578._szw1280h1280_.jpg

Dave, been looking at doing exactly that! Her birthday is in November, so I might just do that. And I know what you mean about the cleaver, not sure I want her having that!!

@rookhawk

Nothing like a little first hand experience and recommendations to gin up business.....As I am purchasing one of Garry's knives, and after you recommend this particular strop bat from JRE Enterprises, I went online and purchased one. Apparently, so did several of you.....:LOL:

See email response to my order below:

Hi My Name,

I will have your order shipping out first part of next week. There was a run of Strop Bat sales this week for some reason.

Thanks,
Spen

--

This is the last week for any more orders to be included in this batch of blades which I will make a start on next week.

This is the last week for any more orders to be included in this batch of blades which I will make a start on next week.

Thanks again Von,
I’m looking forward to receiving mine
Rock375

Your beautiful Safari Bush Knife is the bottom one. As people may note, it is dimensionally and materially superior to the BEST two alternatives money can buy, also photographed. No matter what you do, you will never ruin that knife.

View attachment 231761
i like the top one the best.

i like the top one the best.

Ironically, @edward, the top one is the most inferior, it just looks beautiful. The horn was installed too wet and has shrunk so you cut your self on the metal that is now proud of the scales. It was half-ass hollow ground by the maker so it doesn't have or hold an edge well. When I contacted the British firm several times over 18 months to make good on it, they refused. It also has the worst grip so a plunging thrust in an emergency guarantees you'll amputate your fingers. Oh, and it cost nearly $400.

Contrast that to the best production knife i've tested that is just below it (ESEE Camplore at <$100) or the best custom knife I tested (Von Gruff's at <$200) and you'll need to take stock in the fact the others are vastly better. If you like the look of the top one, just get the bottom one from Von Gruff with pretty scales instead.

Have got the blades all ground and heat treated with most of them cleaned up and ready to make a start on the handlesView attachment 236952 .

Can't help but notice more than half the knives use a scandi edge on them? Very curious to hear feedback from the owners when they get them to see if they agree with my belief system that they are the best edge type ever designed. I suspect a lot of very happy customers will be getting knives soon. @Von Gruff makes a truly beautiful knife as is the case with all of them.

Can't help but notice more than half the knives use a scandi edge on them? Very curious to hear feedback from the owners when they get them to see if they agree with my belief system that they are the best edge type ever designed. I suspect a lot of very happy customers will be getting knives soon. @Von Gruff makes a truly beautiful knife as is the case with all of them.

As was noted earlier in the thread, if you end up making a secondary bevel on them when resharpening, you can have an issue. I have never been skilled at sharpening, but my wife got me a wicked edge for my birthday last year, it has made a world of difference. I have been able to fix the scandi edges I had messed up before.

There were more of the bushcraft hunter in the lot than anything else and a safari knife that also has a scandi grind. The JT Rangers have a high saber grind with secondary bevel. Just the three with full flat grinds and while there are just two in the pic, I have one of the EDC's already done as I did an extra one in a previous batch.

That’s good intel.... I’m a knife guy. Pretty particular about the steel. Was not familiar with O2 steel. Was skeptical. Thank you. I’m always in the market for good stuff

That’s good intel.... I’m a knife guy. Pretty particular about the steel. Was not familiar with O2 steel. Was skeptical. Thank you. I’m always in the market for good stuff

I use O1 for the bushcraft hunters BWH. The O is for oil hardening

I apologize for the typo.... meant O1

I’ve been a little partial over the recent years to the Cr Co Mo V stuff, S90V, AUS8, etc.

All the knives are sharpened and ready to ship now.
IMG_20180718_152656.jpg

Two AH EDC's with one being Blackwood and the other Swamp Kauri.
IMG_20180718_152740.jpg

A blackwood skinner and a micarta hunter skinner
IMG_20180718_152814.jpg

A Koa and a micarta bushcraft hunter in the horizontal cross draw sheath.
IMG_20180718_152850.jpg

Another two micarata and one swamp kauri and buff horn bushcraft hunters in traditional sheaths
IMG_20180718_152952.jpg

A buffalo horn and brass safari hunter
IMG_20180718_153037.jpg

Two JT Rangers
IMG_20180718_153147.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg