Forging knife blades for hunting knifes on Safari

Discussion in 'Hunting Equipment, Gear & Optics' started by Gert Odendaal, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    Gert, a friend of my father's made bread once a month in a wood fired oven just like that. It took great pains to remove every bit of the wood and ash before putting the loaves of bread in. The baking was done by the residual heat in the oven floor and walls.

Gert Odendaal likes this.

2. Von Gruff

Von Gruff AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    Whe I was a boy in the mid 50's, my father worked for a short time in a country general store doing collections and delivery's and three times a week would go to the bakery for the bread. The bakery had old brick ovens that were wood fired but even to this day I can smell the bread and dads truck always had the smell that had seeped into the wood and was always present. It was what made me have an appreciation (and love of) bread and have made my own for many years. I am reasonably busy now but still make the lunch rolls I have every day. I make a months worth at a time and freeze them and while I know it is not the same as fresh from the oven, at least it is bread I make for myself.

mdwest and Gert Odendaal like this.

3. Gert Odendaal

Gert Odendaal AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SAJW
    Shootist , yes, you are quite correct, this barrel type wood fire oven is mainly to bake bread in it, as well as roast chicken/leg of lamb....the first food I will be preparing in this oven next week is my own free-roaming chicken spit recipe , using my own free-roaming chicken as well...I now need to forge copies of the original utensils used by the Cape Dutch Settlers from the time Jan Van Riebeeck set foot on Cape soil in 1652 .....

Shootist43 likes this.

4. Gert Odendaal

Gert Odendaal AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SAJW
    Von Gruff, great memories are always fun to remember, the smell of fresh baked bread is a smell second to none...I can not wait to bake my first bread in this wood fire oven...:A Banana::A Banana:

Von Gruff likes this.