For the tractor lovers

73 Ford 8000, recovering from surgery so I'm moving a little slow I'll grab some other pictures in time. View attachment 531065
My Dad had this entire series from 2000 up: Never a problem w/ anything other than the occasional flat tires, dead batteries, generators replaced w/ alternators, snapped tach cable-super reliable! 'Sold all of 'em to my neighbors over the years and I'm still able to use 'em if necessary. My 2018 MF crapped out last week-a fuel pressure sensor got fouled as I was working on hills and the fuel tank sediment was getting stirred up-sent a "bad fuel pressure" code and shut it down. 1+ miles downhill from our place. in the hot sun at the end of a long day's work. Grinning neighbor towed me all the way up to my shop using our old '73 Ford 5000 (without a a fuel pressure sensor.)

That's right. Palm that steering wheel. Dad taught me to drive in a '66 Chevrolet pickup at age 11. A few years later I caught hell from my drivers instruction trainer when I palmed the wheel. The poor SOB had never driven a truck without power steering. I told him what my dad told me "grip the wheel and you''ll break you hand someday". I lost a couple points on the test for that.

@C.W.Richter
I was my own boss once. I was the biggest bastard I ever worked for.
I wouldn't give myself a pay rise and when I call up sick the phone was always engaged.
Ended up sacking myself and going back to being an employee. Less hassle, and heartache.
Bob
Bob, although I agree on your points about calling in sick and having to work for such a hard ass.... I had a real job once for about 2 months and really didn't care for it much;) I decided that I'm unemployable.

I have to agree with @C.W. Richter that "it's good to be da boss" :)

Here's my personal baby, (vs the many larger tractors we have at our other farms) I love this modern tractor. (old enough to NOT burn DEF) Comfortable, convenient, has a passenger seat for @Just Gina or grandkids. It has a very adjustable swivel seat that is even heated. The AC works great. It has an IVT transmission and honestly seems to out pull the 140 HP tractor I used to have. And it is so cool to just set the ground speed and the engine automatically adjusts to whatever RPM's it needs.
20230608_102051.jpg
20230606_201648.jpg
20230606_201830.jpg
20230606_201656.jpg

I love that 6125R, but I'm passionate about these old John Deere's. Especially the 435's :)

John Deere was working on the New Generation tractors, moving on from the 2 cylinders. However in 1959 they wanted to offer a small diesel tractor but the new line was just not ready yet. So their answer became the 435, from the line of Dubuque tractors such as the M, 40, 320, 420, 330, 430, and the Industrial 440.

The 435 is basically a 430 transmission and rear end, painted green hood from the yellow 440 ( wider than the 430) and a two cylinder, 2 stroke, Detroit or GM diesel engine. (Both this diesel and a higher RPM, higher HP version of the 430 gas engine was offered in the 440).

They built approximately one 435 per dealer and built them in 1959 and part of 1960. So it is one of the rarer JD tractors and possibly the rarest diesel. They built fewer 330's which is a scaled down, cheaper, lower RPM 430. They bring some major dollars nowadays;) We do have one of those as well as 430 and a 420.

The JD 435 is a very unique sounding tractor with that 2 cylinder 2 cycle high reving engine! It of course fires as often as a 4 cylinder 4 stroke. But the sound is unique and LOUD! LOL

The first tractor i drove without dad helping was a Farmall Cub. I was 5 years old. Shortly after that I was taught to drive the 435. My dad had bought the only one sold by the local dealer in Pierz MN. It remained the only brand new tractor he ever bought. I think he was 19 or 20. My mom was working as a cashier in the local grocery store while they were dating and commented;

"It was always such a cheerful tractor and had a unique sound,when I was dating Richie and worked at Grubers store and Richie would go by with the 435 I would get all flustered cause I knew it was Him"

Dad passed away at 44 but my brother still has that 435.... Mom is 78 and and lives in town but still loves the tractors;)
20230610_185836.jpg

Old tractors are fun, they bring me back to my youth.

We wouldn't have old tractors if it weren't for the old dealerships. When I was growing up in the 60's and 70's most towns big enough to have a water tower had at least one implement dealership. My Hometown in Minnesota had a John Deere dealership (K&S Implement) and an International Harvester dealership (Smith's Implement). Both were located in the business district, one on Main Street the other a block off.

It was like going back in time going into those places. The farmers would gather there and visit. Ash trays were on the counter. There would be a pop machine with the coldest 10 oz bottles of pop you could find.

The show rooms were small, maybe a couple lawn mowers and some parts aisles. The owner was behind the counter.

John Deere Day was almost a town holiday. Our school would let parents take their kids out of school to go. The dealer had an open house and display the new models coming out that year. Then we'd all go next door to the movie theater and they'd show a film from Deere that had all their new equipment demonstrated. I remember my uncle walked out of the movie and pulled out his checkbook and told the dealer "get me one of those tractors" That was then the 4020s were leading the pack. He wrote out a check for abut $10,000 and took one home. Soon after that the Sound Guard cab series came out, about 1973? The dealer had a 4430 idling in the lot and we took turns going in the cab, closing the door and taking off our coats. You could hear the radio. It might as well been the space shuttle to us kids who grew up on B's and 60's, then grew into an open cab 4020 with an AM radio bolted onto the fender. In the plowing season we'd put on a heat houser.

Those Implement Dealers were important people in our small towns. They provided a valuable service, employed a lot of people and supported the community. The ones in our town were veterans, volunteer firefighters, Lions Club members and church going folks.

I loved those old dealerships. We lost them in the 80's. A poor farm economy, high interest rates and corporate consolidation ended it all. I live in the middle of farm country and you almost need an airplane to get parts when you break down. Dealers are few and far.

We wouldn't have old tractors if it weren't for the old dealerships. When I was growing up in the 60's and 70's most towns big enough to have a water tower had at least one implement dealership. My Hometown in Minnesota had a John Deere dealership (K&S Implement) and an International Harvester dealership (Smith's Implement). Both were located in the business district, one on Main Street the other a block off.

It was like going back in time going into those places. The farmers would gather there and visit. Ash trays were on the counter. There would be a pop machine with the coldest 10 oz bottles of pop you could find.

The show rooms were small, maybe a couple lawn mowers and some parts aisles. The owner was behind the counter.

John Deere Day was almost a town holiday. Our school would let parents take their kids out of school to go. The dealer had an open house and display the new models coming out that year. Then we'd all go next door to the movie theater and they'd show a film from Deere that had all their new equipment demonstrated. I remember my uncle walked out of the movie and pulled out his checkbook and told the dealer "get me one of those tractors" That was then the 4020s were leading the pack. He wrote out a check for abut $10,000 and took one home. Soon after that the Sound Guard cab series came out, about 1973? The dealer had a 4430 idling in the lot and we took turns going in the cab, closing the door and taking off our coats. You could hear the radio. It might as well been the space shuttle to us kids who grew up on B's and 60's, then grew into an open cab 4020 with an AM radio bolted onto the fender. In the plowing season we'd put on a heat houser.

Those Implement Dealers were important people in our small towns. They provided a valuable service, employed a lot of people and supported the community. The ones in our town were veterans, volunteer firefighters, Lions Club members and church going folks.

I loved those old dealerships. We lost them in the 80's. A poor farm economy, high interest rates and corporate consolidation ended it all. I live in the middle of farm country and you almost need an airplane to get parts when you break down. Dealers are few and far.

I remember skipping school to go to JD days with my dad! And yes we went down the street to the movie theater to see the JD show;)

There are still some good dealers and they still have those annual meetings:) I've been taken to Germany twice on forage Harvester promotion trips.... of course those things list right close to $1m so they have a bit of room to work and a strong incentive to get you to buy Green, or the other Green. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg