vette447

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI, DSC
Hunted
USA (AK,CO,NM,WY,TX,KS,OK), Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Argentina, France
I am selling another classic British safari rifle out of my collection. This is a Holland & Holland .375 H&H Magnum takedown rifle made in 1950s that was brought out of England a few years ago. It is in excellent condition with great metal finish as well as oil finish on the wood and nice case colored recoil bolts and trapdoor grip cap. It was built using an Oberndorf Mauser action flag safety for open sights and slide safety for use with a scope. For sights it features express sights with one standing (50/200 yds) and one folding rear leaf (350 yds) and ramped front bead sight with folding hood. It also has factory quick detachable claw scope mounts with a 4x Hensoldt scope that has very clear glass. It could be fitted with a modern scope of your choice with new claw mounts rings by a competent gunsmith very easily. The magazine holds 4 cartridges as stated on the hand engraved steel floorplate.

It has a very nice slender profile that one would expect from a classic British made safari rifle. It has a 14-1/4” LOP of to the end of a original silver’s recoil pad (still soft) and a nice balanced weight of 8lbs (no scope).

Price is $14,000 plus actual shipping to your FFL. I can accept cashier’s checks for payment.

I am listing it here first hoping that I fellow AH Member is in need of a “new” classic vintage safari rifle.

Please PM me with any questions. Thanks!

IMG_1518_zps8aqahyyt.jpg
IMG_1519_zpsszb4zboa.jpg
IMG_1520_zpsfxxrlsgu.jpg
IMG_1521_zpsocg2q7dn.jpg
IMG_1522_zpswxmyxvtp.jpg
IMG_1523_zpsokr3ulbs.jpg
IMG_1524_zps6xwj8n74.jpg
IMG_1525_zpss9vgdq6g.jpg
IMG_1526_zpsbwdfqnv1.jpg
IMG_1527_zpsguk0x6ff.jpg
IMG_1528_zpslxhbhsoz.jpg
IMG_1529_zpslxbmfhns.jpg

Very nice rifle, but I don't understand how it is a take down rifle.

There is a single takedown screw in front of the magazine floorplate. You use a coin of something similar to unscrew it and the barreled action comes out of the stock. However, the trigger guard, magazine, and rear tang are captive to the stock and there is a mating surface where it all locks down so it takes down neatly with that one single screw.

It is a more accurate way to take down compared to the screw apart types since your headspace is not changed when the barrel comes out of the action (in a screw apart take down). This is how most Holland & Holland rifles takedown if they are equipped with that feature. It is a very slick mechanism.

I will try to take a pic of is taken down a bit later as it may help illustrate better.

OK, here are a series of pictures to try to show how it works. You can use a coin to loosen the captive screw and the action separates from the stock. You can see how the rear of the receiver mates with the receptacle that stays captive in the stock (along with the triggerguard, magazine and mag spring).
Finally, here is a picture of the whole package broken down for transport. It takes about a minute to take the scope off and take the rifle down. Everything should hold zero between takedowns. Very ingenious system. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Attachments

• IMG_1978_zps8f1fsmsa.jpg
    IMG_1978_zps8f1fsmsa.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_1979_zpsmmmwqhdf.jpg
    IMG_1979_zpsmmmwqhdf.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_1980_zpsadvgoro8.jpg
    IMG_1980_zpsadvgoro8.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_1981_zpsqev4a6yh.jpg
    IMG_1981_zpsqev4a6yh.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_1982_zpsdqqcytnr.jpg
    IMG_1982_zpsdqqcytnr.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 298
BTT. Now posted elsewhere as well. Thank you!

Lovely rifle, and I’m sure someone will love it!

Best of luck with the sale!

Thank you. I am certain that whoever ends up with it will be very pleased.

BTT. Will consider reasonable offers as well. Thanks!

Price reduction:
$13,000 plus shipping

Thanks!

BTT. Happy Friday all!

My goodness, what a nice classic rifle that is. I am certainly no expert on pricing for pieces such as this, but it seems like a very good price for an H&H in this condition in that caliber.

Thank you for the kind words

BTT. Have had some good interest but no takers yet. Price drop to $12,000 plus shipping. Thanks!

I’ve read about H&H takedowns but not seen one. Thanks for sharing photos of a beautiful rifle. If I was twenty years younger I would jump at this great and very reasonable offer.

Thank you. This is, indeed, a nice example. It is ready to go back to Africa and serve someone for years to come.

Hello vette447,

I like your rifle !!!! The .375 H&H rifles like yours have the best configuration for that cartridge, to me.
I have two questions:
-Is the side safety an original Mauser one? Could you post a picture in detail on this?
-And, could you post a picture of the loading ramp-lower bolt lug support of the action?
Sorry, I am a Sporting Mausers owner and student!

Thank you very much!

CF

Thank you CF. Sorry it has taken me a few days to get to these.

On the safety; I am not sure if this is original to Mauser but I am certain it is original to Holland & Holland. I have had a few scoped H&H rifles and this is how most of them are. It is super handy as you can use it as a flag safety if you are not using a scope and then have a sturdy and simple safety for scope use.
8BCCA30B_2878_4B25_8EA6_51A5AB2FD4A7_IMG_3261.jpg

On the loading ramp; please see if these pictures help.
D01B1955_0A9F_4E7E_8E24_8A06808B304B_IMG_3262.jpg
16E95856_93A8_4DEF_AE74_3F3571EA907F_IMG_3263.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross