For Sale Trophy Room Book - A Hunter's Wanderings In Africa By FC Selous First Edition 1893

vette447

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI, DSC
Hunted
USA (AK,CO,NM,WY,TX,KS,OK), Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Argentina, France
I am selling my spare first edition (1893) copy of A Hunter's Wanderings in Africa by FC Selous. It is in very good shape as professionally rebound and still has the tip out map as shown (see pics). Also has an original bookplate from Rowland Ward where it was likely first sold. I always thought that was kinda cool. Price is $400 shipped within the lower 48.
Wandering 1.jpg

Wandering 2.jpg

Wandering 3.jpg

Wandering 4.jpg

Wandering 5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The book is currently still available. Thanks

Weekend bump. Thank you.

Hi Vette, I really want this book, how can we do this? You see we have a guest area in our house called the Selous Suite, campaign furniture etc and Selous and Lobengula up on the wall. I have been looking for this book to complete it. I think getting the money to you via Western Union will be easy, then maybe someone coming out to Zim can bring it?
Here is the suite for interest:
6A062C68-0287-4961-BA6F-EC69E1FEDE1D.jpeg

Kevin, that suite is beautiful. I would be happy to accommodate as I can. If you have someone in the US headed your way, I would be happy to ship to them. I will PM you

Kevin, that suite is beautiful. I would be happy to accommodate as I can. If you have someone in the US headed your way, I would be happy to ship to them. I will PM you
Thank you vette, we will work something out.

That should be the cover of the Zimbabwe Architectural Digest....if there is one!!!

Hi Vette, I really want this book, how can we do this? You see we have a guest area in our house called the Selous Suite, campaign furniture etc and Selous and Lobengula up on the wall. I have been looking for this book to complete it. I think getting the money to you via Western Union will be easy, then maybe someone coming out to Zim can bring it?
Here is the suite for interest:
View attachment 526286
Kevin,
As a self proclaimed aficionado of all things Hunting Lodges, Gun Rooms, and Fishing Camps, I find your room spectacular!! Other than the pictures, any other artifacts, collectibles, inspiration of note? How about the chest and furniture? Vintage?? Thank you, sir.

Kevin,
As a self proclaimed aficionado of all things Hunting Lodges, Gun Rooms, and Fishing Camps, I find your room spectacular!! Other than the pictures, any other artifacts, collectibles, inspiration of note? How about the chest and furniture? Vintage?? Thank you, sir.
Hi @Fixfire, this is the view from the other direction. The mirrored wardrobe just visible on the left is from 1930's, all the the campaign furniture throughout the house is solid teak made by Nigel Jocelyn, Harare. I will pm you more pictures of the rest of the house shortly.
FDCA92D2-EF18-472B-B455-7B102868603A.jpeg

Thank you so much!!!

Just for fun, here are a few photos of my "keeper" copy of this book. Sadly, this one is not for sale:

This one is inscribed by Selous to his friend E.N. Buxton. Seems Mr Buxton was a well known conservationist and was well connected within colonial Africa. At Selous' suggestion, Teddy Roosevelt enlisted help from Buxton in planning for his 1909-10 safari. Numerous letters back and forth between Roosevelt and Buxton discussing plans for the safari can be found in the US national archive.

Keeper book 1.jpg
Keeper book 2.jpg
Keeper book 3.jpg
Keeper book 4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for fun, here are a few photos of my "keeper" copy of this book. Sadly, this one is not for sale:

This one is inscribed by Selous to his friend E.N. Buxton. Seems Mr Buxton was a well known conservationist and was well connected within colonial Africa. At Selous' suggestion, Teddy Roosevelt enlisted help from Buxton in planning for his 1909-10 safari. Numerous letters back and forth between Roosevelt and Buxton discussing plans for the safari can be found in the US national archive.
That is incredible!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasovWoogy

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg