For Sale Steyr Mannlicher Full Take-Down Rifle

Discussion in 'Free Classifieds' started by rookhawk, Jun 25, 2019.

1. rookhawk

rookhawk AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
    Here is a fun gun for someone to enjoy. I bought it thinking it would be great for my kids when traveling but realized later that the recoil would be heavy for such a compact gun and I thought otherwise.

It's an Austrian Ferlach built Mannlicher Model 1895 in 8x50R. I cannot ascribe the gun to a particular maker but I assume someone that gets into the gun would find additional proof marks that would pinpoint the manufacturer in Austria. For those unfamiliar with the model, it is a magnificently designed straight-pull gun ideal for driven and running game due to the speed you can operate the bolt. Ammo is readily available in the US market along with reloading components. The gun is an extermely rare "British Style" take down rather than the more typical definition of a Mannlicher take-down that usually means only the stock comes off. This little package could be put in a case that measures little more than 21" disassembled! Full mannlicher stock of about 19". The bore is a bit gray and needs some clean up as I pushed a couple patches through and it weeps lead. I'd call the bore "good" at present but I think it could be much improved with some cleanup. It has a single trigger with an adjustable weight via a screw in the trigger guard. A little TLC would bring this gun back to a real showpiece if you wanted to restore the wood that is in decent condition as it is. The wood has a plugged hole at near the muzzle, a well executed repair to a splinter near the muzzle, various small dents, and a small chip out of the raised cheek piece. Length of pull is somewhere around 13.5". The action is tastefully engraved. The front ramp is engraved, as is the rear sight island which features a standing and folding sight. It is curio & relic eligible.

$1500 delivered in the lower 48 for an easy sale. You can't find a takedown anything for that kind of money.

To operate the rifle, you pull straight back on the bolt and simple rack it forward. Once you're used to the bolt functionality, you can reload without lowering the rifle. It has a safety to lock the bolt in cocked and uncocked states.

The gun is so compact you'd need to find a large pistol case to accommodate it, take down shotgun cases are way too big. It would be a blast to use on cull hunts or hog hunts with its fast reloading being ideal for driven game.

IMG_6228.JPG
    IMG_6228.JPG IMG_0239.JPG IMG_0890.JPG IMG_1444.JPG IMG_3335 2.JPG IMG_3432.JPG IMG_3495.JPG IMG_5286.JPG IMG_6465.JPG IMG_8460.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2019
    Vanguard2279 likes this.

2. Witold Krzyżanowski

Witold Krzyżanowski AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    1977; Polish Hunting Assotiation
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe
    Nice rifle "rookhawk".
    Witold

3. Lance Hopper

Lance Hopper New Member

Are you entertaining any trades at this time.

4. rookhawk

rookhawk AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Yes. The gun is worth $2600-$3200 retail, so I’d have to consider whether the trade involved a gun of equal retail value, rarity, and liquidity.

$1500 was the cash is king price, because cash is king. :)

5. Lance Hopper

Lance Hopper New Member

Let me know what kinds of guns/calibers you like. I have stuff all over the map.

6. Bullthrower338

Bullthrower338 AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT
    Wonderful rifle Rookhawk!

7. WAB

WAB AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
    Where do you find this stuff!?! Awesome rifle!!!

8. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    Rookhawk, I've cleaned up more than one bore with a little 0000 steel wool wound into a slightly oversize bronze bristle brush and a product called "Kroil." Although a good rust eater from an automotive parts supplier would probably work just as well.

WAB, Red Leg and rookhawk like this.

9. WAB

WAB AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
    I always have a couple cans of kroil in the shop. Fantastic stuff!

rookhawk likes this.

10. rookhawk

rookhawk AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    English makes. Mannlichers. Ferlachs. Double rifles. Model 21 and model 70 Winchester’s. (Pre-64) High quality SxS shotguns. Beretta SO series guns. Drillings. Anything detailed or made by Von Lengerke and Detmold, Von Lengerke and Antoine, Abercrombie & Fitch, Griffin & Howe, Scottish makers Martin/Dickson/Mortimer/MacNaughton, Sedgley rifles, Paul Jaeger rifles, Prectel actions, Reimer Johansson actions, etc.

11. rookhawk

rookhawk AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Reduced: $1395 and free shipping in USA. (Lower 48)

12. rookhawk

rookhawk AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Reduced: $1350 and free shipping in lower 48.