Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Germany, Slovania
Pairing down my collection. For sale Simson Suhl 7x65R x 16/70. Topped with a Ziess Diatel 6x42 claw mounted scope.I acquired this gun from a hunter in Germany and it has taken many, many Wild Boar and Roe Deer.

The rifle is absolute tack driver. When I bought it I test fired it at 50 meters and all three barrels (loaded with a slug and bird shot) were right on target. That is the last time I used the shotgun barrels, but I hunted with the 7x65R and it is spot on. The scope is clear and has a German #1 Reticle. The rifle is in excellent shape and show it's use, it was used for hunting for many, many years. No cracks, no large scratches, gouges or other marks. barrels are in great condition.

The only "issue' is the scope is a bear to pop out. The rear nobs (not sure what to call them) are very tough to slide forward. No idea why but it does not affect accuracy or functionality. I never had it looked at since I never really need to pop the scope off. The front claw functions fine and once you get the rear nobs slide forward the scope mount functions normally (it's not rusted in)

DM with any questions or if you would like more pictures.

$1900 obo plus shipping to your FFL ((not interested in trades)

IMG_20190203_121315.jpg
IMG_20190203_121338.jpg
IMG_20190203_121349.jpg
IMG_20190203_121406.jpg
IMG_20190203_121412.jpg
IMG_20190203_121426.jpg
IMG_20190203_121444.jpg
IMG_20190203_121454.jpg
IMG_20190203_121502.jpg
IMG_20190203_121512.jpg
IMG_20190203_121532.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Brilliant set up I own 2 a 7.65r /12 ga and a 12 ga 9.3x74r - combo guns never had a driling ! Very similar to the Luftwaffe African survival rifle !

The Luftwaffe Survival Rifles are beautiful, totally impractical if you are bailing out of plane, they weigh a ton.

Wonderful gun for short money. Wish I wasn't saving for my hunt...

Beautiful rifle!

Not much knowledge here about drillings, but this looks like a deal for someone who does!

For what it is worth, I really like the Simson &Co Suhl guns - of all types. My Simson .405 double is a winner - also a good shooter:

If you do not have one - get one! Especially at this price!

Attachments

• 51984_600x400.jpg
    51984_600x400.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 458
The Luftwaffe Survival Rifles are beautiful, totally impractical if you are bailing out of plane, they weigh a ton.

But once on the ground, I would rely on.....

;)

HWL

I predict, once you will regret, to have sold this beauty....

:(

HWL

Hi All,
I am the lucky buyer :) This will be the first drilling I have owned and I am very excited to begin this new learning experience.
I love the good old 16 ga and will be reloading for the 7x65R. Mark worked out a deal with me for some of the 7x65 ammo he has on hand and I already have a bunch of 16 ga shells - Brenneke slugs and shotshells from #4 through #8's, so I will be getting her out for a test drive very soon after arriving in Boise.
Many thanks to Mark for being great to work with and helping me into the Drilling world.
Any advice you veterans have for a newbie will be welcome and appreciated!
Happy Hunting

Congrats to both the buyer and seller!

Hi All, I am the lucky buyer :)

Any advice you veterans have for a newbie will be welcome and appreciated!

Happy Hunting

Congratulations.... a great gun!

Never ever "set" the front trigger and fire the rear......

Be carefully, not to damage the automatic rear sight when assembling the gun - NEVER force anything.

HWL

Congratulations.... a great gun!

Never ever "set" the front trigger and fire the rear......

Be carefully, not to damage the automatic rear sight when assembling the gun - NEVER force anything.

HWL
Thank you! (y):)

And always keep in mind, this is a firearm for the cold barrel rifle shot.

Point of impact will rise! when this barrel becomes warm, because of shooting several shots within a short time.

It is a good pratice to check this on a paper target, to see how much.

We call it the "climbing" of shots....

Shooting from cold barrel is especially important when zeroing the rifle, let the barrel cool down at least five minutes, better ten, between the shots.

All this is relevant only for shooting the rifled barrel.

You can shoot the shotgun barrels like any other side by side shotgun.

Do not forget to check point of impact for rifled slugs from both shotgun barrels.

30 yard is a good distance for this, some Drillings do well even at 50 yards.

Brenneke slugs are a good idea to start with, some Drillings have shotgun barrels regulated for Brennekes.

You bought the ultimate hunting firearm - but you have to become familiar with.

Would be nice to hear from you....

:A No1:

HWL

And always keep in mind, this is a firearm for the cold barrel rifle shot.

Point of impact will rise! when this barrel becomes warm, because of shooting several shots within a short time.

It is a good pratice to check this on a paper target, to see how much.

We call it the "climbing" of shots....

Shooting from cold barrel is especially important when zeroing the rifle, let the barrel cool down at least five minutes, better ten, between the shots.

All this is relevant only for shooting the rifled barrel.

You can shoot the shotgun barrels like any other side by side shotgun.

Do not forget to check point of impact for rifled slugs from both shotgun barrels.

30 yard is a good distance for this, some Drillings do well even at 50 yards.

Brenneke slugs are a good idea to start with, some Drillings have shotgun barrels regulated for Brennekes.

You bought the ultimate hunting firearm - but you have to become familiar with.

Would be nice to hear from you....

:A No1:

HWL
@HWL , thank you so much for your advice. What you say makes perfect sense and is very helpful! I am further ahead in my learning curve because you have taken the time to help educate a newbie (me). I will happily report back on my experiences once I get started shooting :) And I’m sure I will have plenty of questions! So prepare yourselves :ROFLMAO:

No advice Dan, but congratulations on what appears to be an outstanding gun.

IdRam, I’ve only owned one drilling which I should have never sold. A Merkel 12x12x243. It surprised a couple of coyotes while pheasant hunting. The 243 was very accurate! I think the barrel was so stiff that it helped I also had one of my better days in trap using it. Surprised my buddies with their dedicated trap guns.
You’re going to have fun with this! I always thought a drilling or cape gun would be a perfect second gun for Africa.
Enjoy! I’m jealous!

If you get half the enjoyment out of your drilling as I have my Sauer 3000 you will not regret buying it. My drilling is a 12 gauge over .30-06 and I have used it in Namibia to take several head of plains game. Everyone in camp had to shoot my 3 barreled gun. If I ever go on another plains game hunt I will make sure that birds are in season so that I can put the shot barrels to good use. If you run across one of those Krieghoff .22 caliber inserts for the shotgun barrels they add to the package. I have one in .22LR that I use in the right shotgun barrel so that I can take advantage of the set trigger. I am amazed with the way that insert groups at 25 yards. Congratulations!

DSC03611.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.