For Sale Ruger 77 Magnum .458 Lott

cajunchefray

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
DSC
Near new , excellent condition, Ruger Magnum .458 Lott.
Purchased from a shop in San Antonio, I think it may have been unfired, but don't know for sure.
Slight handling marks, on wood, and blue.

See pictures for exact condition.

I've fired it 4 rounds with 400 grain Woodleighs at 2250 in 458 Winchester.
Shot right to the sights at 50 yards in a nice 1 1/2 inch group.

Chamber and bore meticulously cleaned and put in the safe.
This is nice rifle with better wood than some later Ruger Magnums.
Weighs 9.75 pounds, very smooth action, trigger pull is 5 pounds.
PM with questions or more detailed pictures.
I will ship via USPS to your FFL with a copy of my DL. Well packed and insured in a Plano hard case.
Thinning the gun safe, keeping just a single .458.

$1450, shipped to the lower 47 states. Sorry no California sales.

IMG_2753.jpg
IMG_2748.jpg
IMG_2747.jpg
IMG_2739.jpg
IMG_2738.jpg

Near new , excellent condition, Ruger Magnum .458 Lott.
Purchased from a shop in San Antonio, I think it may have been unfired, but don't know for sure.
Slight handling marks, on wood, and blue.

See pictures for exact condition.

I've fired it 4 rounds with 400 grain Woodleighs at 2250 in 458 Winchester.
Shot right to the sights at 50 yards in a nice 1 1/2 inch group.

Chamber and bore meticulously cleaned and put in the safe.
This is nice rifle with better wood than some later Ruger Magnums.
Weighs 9.75 pounds, very smooth action, trigger pull is 5 pounds.
PM with questions or more detailed pictures.
I will ship via USPS to your FFL with a copy of my DL. Well packed and insured in a Plano hard case.
Thinning the gun safe, keeping just a single .458.

$1450, shipped to the lower 47 states. Sorry no California sales.

View attachment 342801 View attachment 342800 View attachment 342799 View attachment 342798 View attachment 342797
That really is nice looking wood!

That's a real dandy!

Someone is going to be glad to get this rifle!

Somebody is gonna get a nice gun! Wish you had posted about 6 days earlier. I jusht bought a CZ in the Lott.

Mighty fine rifle some lucky buyer will be getting.

Thanks guys for all the great comments, it really is a nice rifle.
I've owned a .375 and .416Rigby and this is the best balanced of all.

Hope it goes to Africa one day for a Dagga Boy or a nice Elephant!

Hi Ray, very nice looking wood on this rifle. I am somewhat interested if you have a little wiggle room on price and are willing to consider offers?

Thanks IdaRam for your interest but
My price is firm.

Considering shipping and insurance costs about $75 now, I think a net price of $1375 is a good deal.

Best Regards and Syay Safe

Charles Ray

Thank you sir, understood. This will make someone a great DG rifle.
Kind regards
Dan

Again, excellent rifle, but I thought the Ruger rifles wouldn’t/couldn’t fit a long cartridge like the Lott? Henceforth, the shorter .375 and .416 Ruger cartridges?

Again, excellent rifle, but I thought the Ruger rifles wouldn’t/couldn’t fit a long cartridge like the Lott? Henceforth, the shorter .375 and .416 Ruger cartridges?
Let me help you here. There is a major difference in a RSM (Ruger Safari Magnum) and more current model Ruger M77 Africans. RSMs were made from 1990 -2010. They are made in .375 H&H, .416 Rigby and .458 Lott, and only these calibers unless you have had a gunsmith build a conversion, such as a .404 J. All RSMs have a magnum length action. The current M77 Africans have a medium or long length action and are built for the Ruger .375 and .416 calibers. You cannot change this rifle to accommodate magnum length calibers. If you are considering buying one of these rifles, you should study in detail the two rifles. They are completely different in quality, finish, fit and typically price.

This rifle for sale is a RSM.

Last edited:
Let me help you here. There is a major difference in a RSM (Ruger Safari Magnum) and more current model Ruger M77 Africans. RSMs were made from 1990 -2010. They are made in .375 H&H, .416 Rigby and .458 Lott, and only these calibers unless you have had a gunsmith build a conversion, such as a .404 J. All RSMs have a magnum length action. The current M77 Africans have a medium or long length action and are built for the Ruger .375 and .416 calibers. You cannot change this rifle to accommodate magnum length calibers. If you are considering buying one of these rifles, you should study in detail the two rifles. They are completely different in quality, finish, fit and typically price.
Thank you. That explanation explains my ignorance on the subject. I've seen Ruger RSCs? for sale in .458WM? I was/am confused, as the RSCs look very similar to the RSMs, only w/o the barrel band?

Thank you. That explanation explains my ignorance on the subject. I've seen Ruger RSCs? for sale in .458WM? I was/am confused, as the RSCs look very similar to the RSMs, only w/o the barrel band?
There is also an intergral quarter rib with one standing and two folding sights on the RSM and not the others. That alone is worth up to $2000 and all RSMs have them from the factory.

There is also an intergral quarter rib with one standing and two folding sights on the RSM and not the others. That alone is worth up to $2000 and all RSMs have them from the factory.
Good to know! When one is a novice, like myself, with the unfamiliar particulars regarding specific models within known rifle brands like Ruger or Winchester, it is a real plus to have experts here on AH like yourself to explain the differences regarding quality and thus appropriate price points when looking to purchase a rifle. Thanks!

RSM was the best rifle Ruger ever produced, IMO. CRF, claw extractor, bbl swivel, leaf sights and circ. walnut, Sq bridge and magnum action. Last retail price I saw when they were still produced was $1995 and they were well worth it. Good luck with your sale. If I didn't already own one, I would be on it...............FWB

Beaut of a rilfe love it very jealous.

This rifle for sale is a RSM.

Thanks SierraOne and Flatwater Bill for very Good explanation of the origins of the RSM.
In R L Wilsons book "Ruger and His Guns"' he describes how Bill Ruger appreciated fine custom rifles and had a collection of many rifles including Griffin and Howes customs built on original Oberndorf Magnum Mauser actions, These were originally created for John Rigby and Co., in 1911' for Rigby.s .416.

Ruger's version is an American masterpiece of this.
The actions are about 3/4 inch longer, but more robust all around than the standard MK II action.
It took 7 hours just to machine the barrel with the integral quarter rib and extra recoil lug.
The fit and finish on these are excellent.
I'm selling to cull down the gun safe, but I'm keeping my 30-06 Mk II Express which is the same premium version in the regular action.

Handles like a fine English rifle and is accurate.

The .458 Lott RSM is also well balanced, handles best of all, having had the .375H&H and the .416 Rigby.

Thanks all for your interest and input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg