shuter

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.roboliveauthor.com
Media
Hunted
Oregon, Montana
I've decided to sell my beautiful Ruger #1 in .450/.400 3". I would say the condition is virtually "as new". The Boddington rifles include Warne QD Ruger rings, as well as improved wood & sights (white bead front, fixed express rear). Been fired very little, but very accurate. Hard to imagine a better-set-up #1 in this caliber!

Customization/accessories included as follows:

Trop custom safety installed (MUCH easier to use & won't damage web of hand)
Graco "Brake-O" mercury recoil reducer installed in buttstock (removable, if desired, but really cuts down on recoil!)
Red Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad installed
NECG "Classic" sling/swivels
Hornady New Dimension dies ($100 value)
Factory box & manual

Selling price $2,000 + $75 shipping to CONUS ($100 to AK/HI). This is what I have invested in the rifle & it's in perfect condition. Thanks for looking!

P.S. Also have new Hornady brass that I will sell separately.

IMG_3346.jpeg
IMG_3348.jpeg
IMG_3349.jpeg
IMG_3350.jpeg
IMG_3351.jpeg
IMG_2379.JPG
IMG_3356.jpeg
IMG_3357.jpeg
IMG_3358.jpeg
IMG_2427.JPG
IMG_3386.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Does the safety allow the spent cartridge cases to eject without catching like they do with the factory safety?

shuter

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.roboliveauthor.com
Media
Hunted
Oregon, Montana
Does the safety allow the spent cartridge cases to eject without catching like they do with the factory safety?
Yes sir!

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Toby all five of my Ruger #1s have never suffered from what you describe.

lwaters

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
Nice rifle. I have a No.1 in 450/400 and it is also very accurate. Did you put the recoil reducer in yourself?

shuter

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.roboliveauthor.com
Media
Hunted
Oregon, Montana
Nice rifle. I have a No.1 in 450/400 and it is also very accurate. Did you put the recoil reducer in yourself?
Thanks...no, it was installed by the same gunsmith who fitted the recoil pad.

Bullthrower338

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
Toby all five of my Ruger #1s have never suffered from what you describe.
I don’t own one that doesn’t catch brass unless the rifle is canted a bit during ejection. I’ve looked at that safety many times but have never been bothered enough to change one out. The no. 1 is a wonderful rifle.
good luck selling her!

tarbe

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe
I don’t own one that doesn’t catch brass unless the rifle is canted a bit during ejection. I’ve looked at that safety many times but have never been bothered enough to change one out. The no. 1 is a wonderful rifle.
good luck selling her!
And that is because Ruger designed the safety to catch the brass like that!

One guy out of 5,000 (DG hunters) want the brass to clear. The other 4,999 don't want to have to hunt for their brass.

shuter

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.roboliveauthor.com
Media
Hunted
Oregon, Montana
And that is because Ruger designed the safety to catch the brass like that!

One guy out of 5,000 (DG hunters) want the brass to clear. The other 4,999 don't want to have to hunt for their brass.
Good thing this one's set up for DG hunting then!

Kevin Peacocke

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Spectacular rifle, well done on the sale and well congratulations to the new owner, you have bought a winner. Hope you hunt a lovely old daga boy with her.
One question, does the Pachmeyer red pad come exactly sized for the No1? I want to fit one and a recoil reducer to mine. What brand recoil reducer did your gunsmith fit?
Kevin

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
That is a rifle that needs a good pad and even the reducer. The one I had kicked the snot out of me, it went down the road.

shuter

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.roboliveauthor.com
Media
Hunted
Oregon, Montana
Spectacular rifle, well done on the sale and well congratulations to the new owner, you have bought a winner. Hope you hunt a lovely old daga boy with her.
One question, does the Pachmeyer red pad come exactly sized for the No1? I want to fit one and a recoil reducer to mine. What brand recoil reducer did your gunsmith fit?
Kevin
The pad required fitting by a gunsmith. It was a Graco reducer...I don't believe they are available any longer???

shuter

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.roboliveauthor.com
Media
Hunted
Oregon, Montana
That is a rifle that needs a good pad and even the reducer. The one I had kicked the snot out of me, it went down the road.
Agreed...whole different critter set up this way...balances better to me as well, with the weight from the reducer in the buttstock.

James Cook

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, NRA Life, B.A.S.S., Ducks Unlimted
Hunted
Namibia, Mexico, Argentina, Canada, U.S. - LA, TX, OK, AR, AL, SC, GA, KS
beautiful rifle

Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
Life DSC, TSRA, Life NRA
Hunted
US, Argentina, Scotland, Austria, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand
This is a fantastic set up - sending it to the top.

Very similar to mine and I love it. Points like a fine shotgun and is very accurate with irons. Taking it across the pond to see it work in its natural habitat.

@TOBY458 never had any issues catching while ejecting with my stock safety

Tiger2001

Reaction score
Member of
DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, NRA Life Member
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Australia, Austria, Hungary, Kazakhstan, Turkey, USA
Hello all. I am offering something very similar on Gunbroker right now... Not the Boddington model but my 450/400 3" also has a red pachmayr pad installed as well as a Dead Mule recoil reducer. Also a NECG faux ivory bead front sight. Killed a few hogs/deer with it and it is basically in new condition. Not sure if the below link will work but it should be easy enough to find on GB.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 9.03.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 9.03.42 AM.png
    3 MB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 9.03.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 9.03.43 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 9.03.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 9.03.46 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 12

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KatriceBro

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I did a little housekeeping in my shop and found some .500 Jeffery ammo that I no longer need. Superior Ammunition and Hendershots loaded them, along with AHR (American Hunting Rifles). Several Woodleigh/A-Square solids along with lead bullets in both 535g and 600g. Message me for any details.

IMG_8092.jpg
IMG_8091.jpg
IMG_8090.jpg
IMG_8094.jpg
pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG