For Sale Rodda Tiger Rifle - Finest Known

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
Up for sale is the ultimate safe queen. A minty circa-1925 Rodda of London and Calcutta 1910 Mannlicher Schoenauer in 9.5x57MS. Includes RCBS Forming dies and RCBS FL Die Set.

Don't know what more to say. It's a stuetzen stocked Mannlicher. It has the nicest wood I've ever seen on one. It's immaculate. You will never, never ever, find one this clean and unmolested.

The weapon was a first-choice for safaris, particularly for cats. This one having been retailed by Rodda in Calcutta was certainly intended for tigers. The caliber is ideal for everything from elk and black bear, eland, kudu, waterbuck, leopard, and a host of other animals. Ammo is easy to make and several firms will manufacture ammo for this rifle as well.

Selling to fund a significant restoration of another rifle. For the price of a modern, soulless Africa rifle made in a soviet satellite country you can own one of the most storied safari rifles ever in truly exceptional condition.

$3400 with the dies.

IMG_3851.JPG
IMG_3862.JPG
IMG_3852.JPG
IMG_3853.JPG
IMG_3854.JPG
IMG_3855.JPG
IMG_3856.JPG
IMG_3857.JPG
IMG_3858.JPG
IMG_3859.JPG
IMG_3860.JPG
IMG_3861.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

JHT

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
I don’t even need a tiger rifle but after that description I think I’m interested. Very nicely done rookhawk and best of luck with sale.

AZDAVE

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
I had one of those several years ago (got traded with a couple other rifles on a double rifle) that was a joy to shoot and wasn't in the fine shape this rifle is. some one will get a fantastic rifle.

gillettehunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(4) New Zealand Zambia(2)
Beautiful rifle. I agree the wood is lovely. Good luck on your sale.
Bruce

HWL

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Germany, Austria, Norway
The Gentleman's Rifle.....

HWL

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
A gem what a beaut.....

John Telford

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Phasa ,SA Wingshooters, Botswana Tourism (HATAB), Pretoria Arms and Ammunition Association PAAA.
Hunted
South Africa , Botswana,
I shoot with one from time to time. I call it my baby .375! It kicks like a mule because it’s quite light unlike the full stock you have. The famous game warden Harry Kirkman killed some 100 odd cattle killing lions with his 9.5 MS. These guns are well balanced and point like a Purdy! Every serious collector needs to have at least one or two MS rifles. I use brass from Qualicart and load with 270gn woodleigh. It is one of those humble little guns that brings me great pleasure to “have and to hold” ! I hope it finds a good home!

Thumper Mcgee

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA
Hunted
U.S
Up for sale is the ultimate safe queen. A minty circa-1925 Rodda of London and Calcutta 1910 Mannlicher Schoenauer in 9.5x57MS. Includes RCBS Forming dies and RCBS FL Die Set.

Don't know what more to say. It's a stuetzen stocked Mannlicher. It has the nicest wood I've ever seen on one. It's immaculate. You will never, never ever, find one this clean and unmolested.

The weapon was a first-choice for safaris, particularly for cats. This one having been retailed by Rodda in Calcutta was certainly intended for tigers. The caliber is ideal for everything from elk and black bear, eland, kudu, waterbuck, leopard, and a host of other animals. Ammo is easy to make and several firms will manufacture ammo for this rifle as well.

Selling to fund a significant restoration of another rifle. For the price of a modern, soulless Africa rifle made in a soviet satellite country you can own one of the most storied safari rifles ever in truly exceptional condition.

$3400 with the dies.

View attachment 384531View attachment 384532View attachment 384533View attachment 384534View attachment 384535View attachment 384536View attachment 384537View attachment 384538View attachment 384539View attachment 384540View attachment 384541View attachment 384542
Dang that thing is sweet

Brian Rothhammer

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
The stutzen Mannlicher Schoenauers are also very light and handy.

The weight of additional wood is minimal and they tend to have shorter barrels.

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
The stutzen Mannlicher Schoenauers are also very light and handy.

The weight of additional wood is minimal and they tend to have shorter barrels.

Thanks for the praise, everyone. Indeed, there is a reason this rifle as stocked was the go-to design for the major safaris of the 20th century from WDM Bell to Hemmingway. It's the smoothest action ever designed in the most compact package for going through the brush.

horsedoc49

Reaction score
Rookhawk,
I picked up the rifle today. WOW! It is in wonderful condition, just as described. Or maybe even better.
Packed very well so no travel damage. I have some brass coming and then I’ll load some cartridges.
If anyone has any pet loads I’d love to hear what they are.
It was a nice smooth transaction and Rookhawk was quick to respond, no worries dealing with him.
thanks,
Ron /horsedoc49

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikaylaLoo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.