Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, DSC, Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
USA, RSA, Zimbabwe
I am selling my pre 64 Model 70 sporter in 270 Winchester. Serial number is 212xxx which dates the gun to 1951 per my internet research. The gun is currently in a custom Accurate Innovations stock in a lovely Bastogne walnut, but I also have the original stock. I suspect the gun has been re-blued at some point as the bottom of a couple of the serial numbers are faint (I will send pics to anyone interested but will not post the serial number on the net). The engraved number on the bolt does match the receiver. The receiver is bead blasted like original. It is missing the rear sight insert (common when these rifles were scoped), but reproductions are available. In any case, the bluing is very strong, with some wear at the muzzle and sight hood, and a few other minor marks. Overall, I would rate the finish at 97%.

Regardless of whether it was re-blued or not, collector value was lost as the original stock was cut for a Pachmayr pad. Otherwise, the condition of the original stock is excellent, as the pictures show, with a few small marks.

I purchased the AI stock from Wes last year. It will fit any pre 64 Model 70 with the rear sight donut on the barrel (will not fit a featherweight rifle). It is a gorgeous Bastogne walnut with a red pachmayr pad and looks just beautiful on the rifle. I have not carried the stock in the field - it has just sat in my safe since mounting.

In the original stock the gun is a shooter, IF the front barrel screw is kept loose. I shot sub moa groups with Federal Premium 130 gr Sierra Game Kings (the only ammo I have tried). If the front screw is tightened, groups open up, suggesting that there is some wood to barrel contact. The screw was loose when I got the rifle, so the original owner was obviously aware. I have not fired the rifle in the AI stock, but based on my experience I expect it will shoot well as the barrel is fully floated.

Reason I am selling? I found a pre war action with a Douglas air gauge barrel that I sent to LeRoy Barry for a full custom stock in exhibition English walnut.

My prices (scope not included but Leupold bases are) all shipped to your ffl in the conus:

AI stock by itself $2,170, which is what I paid Wes for it
Rifle in the AI stock $2,945 (not including the original stock)
Rifle in the AI stock $3,145 (including the original stock)
Rifle in original stock $975

Mod 70 10.jpg

mod 70 1.jpg

Mopd 70 2.jpg

Mod 70 4.jpg

Mod 70 3.jpg

Mod 70 5.jpg

Mod 70 6.jpg

Mod 70 7.jpg

Mod 70 8.jpg

Mod 70 9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone interested, please PM me for more or better pics. I am going to take some daylight pics of the bastogne stock and post them when I get a chance as the pics above do not do it justice. It is truly stunning.

Beautiful rifle!

Thanks, Cody.

What a handsome rifle!

Lots of lookers but no one has expressed any interest, so I am dropping prices as below

AI stock by itself $1,800
Rifle in the AI stock (not including original stock) $2,475
Rifle and both stocks $2,675
rifle and original stock $875

Again, the AI stock has not been out of the gun safe and is just a gorgeous piece of walnut. And $875 for a pre 64 model 70 that looks this nice AND shoots!

Those prices are shipped in the conus to your ffl.

Also, check out Accurate Innovations web site if you are not familiar with their stocks. They incorporate an integral aluminum bedding block that provides an extremely strong foundation and the barrel is fully floated. The strength of a synthetic stock combined with the beauty of wood. As I mentioned before, this stock will fit any pre 64 standard or sporter rifle (not feather weight) with the rear "sight donut".

A beautiful and classic rifle.

Good deal from a good guy!

Tim

It’s a good thing I’m saving up for another Buff in September. That’s one of my favorite rifles in one of my favorite calibers.

Send a few photos by PM
Hi @jasonv, I edited your post by removing your telephone number for privacy reason. If you want to provide someone your personal information please do so in the Conversation/Private Message (PM) system. Thank you.

As per our posting guidelines:
It is not okay to post your own personal information or post links to your personal information, including but not limited to email addresses, telephone numbers, mailing addresses or identification numbers. If you want to provide someone else your personal information please do so in the Conversation/Private Message (PM) system.

PRICE DROP

Adjusting my prices a follows

AI stock by itself $1,500
Rifle in the AI stock $2,150 (not including the original stock)
Rifle in the AI stock $2,350 (including the original stock)
Rifle in original stock $850

Am I overpriced on a non-collector pre 64 at $850? Again, I think it has been reblued and the stock has been cut, but it looks great and it is a shooter!

Original stock and rifle are spf.

Let me know if it falls through....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpstracking

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg