For Sale New Merkel DB141 SxS Rifle 9.3x74R

Whit

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA (TX, WY, AR, NC), New Zealand, Germany, Slovakia, South Africa
Hey everyone, have a Merkel rifle for sale... it's brand new, really beautiful. It's a gorgeous weapon, but not something I'd really ever use to be frank. I am hoping the sale will fund my first hunting trip to Africa...!!! So I kinda of cobbled together the description from the Merkel website:

MERKEL Model 141.1 SIDE x SIDE RIFLE ... 9.3X74R caliber ... 21.6" barrel ... A slimline, compact side by side double rifle weighing approximately 6.5lbs. Anson Deeley lockwork, Greener-style cross bolt and double conventional bottom bite. This particular rifle has extractors and double triggers. The front trigger is a Set trigger. Unique to the 141 is the ability to adjust the barrel’s point of impact for regulating different loads. The receiver is coin and employs Arabesque style engraving. It has a beautiful, oiled class 5 European Walnut stock with the optional shadowline cheek piece. Also included is an automatic safety and cocking indicator.

Engraving features game scenes of a running boar on the right side of the receiver and a red deer stag on the left. Arabesque scroll engraving surrounds these scenes and covers the bottom of the receiver, trigger guard, operating lever and the fore end latching hardware. Luxury grade European walnut with straight grain is used for the pistol grip, Monte Carlo stock and the full-size forearm. Multi-point checkering is perfectly cut into the gripping surfaces. Please note the perfection wood-to-metal joints.

Condition: Brand new, 100% per Cabela's evaluation today, and I cannot find a nick, flaw, scratch, anything on it. Comes with Merkel factory paperwork confirming accuracy/certification of origin. Never fired outside of the factory rounds to my knowledge. I am the first & only private owner and purchased the rifle from a German gun shop when stationed in the country. MSR is $13920 per the Gun Blue Book, but would take $11800. More photos available upon request. Will throw in padded hard case for shipping/travel and two locks (for TSA-approval, everyone knows they are a pain). Wire transfers preferred or a money order & shipping to FFL.

PM me if interested -

IMG_8768.jpg

img_8764-jpg.435286

img_8757-jpg.435287

img_8758-jpg.435288

img_8764-jpg.435289

img_8765-jpg.435290

img_8766-jpg.435291

img_8771-jpg.435293

Attachments

• IMG_8764.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 2,016
  • IMG_8757.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 1,978
  • IMG_8758.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 1,951
  • IMG_8764.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 1,910
  • IMG_8765.jpg
    9.1 MB · Views: 1,930
  • IMG_8766.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 1,879
  • IMG_8771.jpg
    11.2 MB · Views: 1,838
Last edited by a moderator:
Hallo folks, any interest? The 9.3x74R caliber is not common Stateside, but its ballistics are very similar to a 375 H&H. A 285 gr bullet will kill anything that walks on God's green earth.

Hello Whit..................AH hunters are very knowledgeable regarding the 9.3's. Perhaps less knowledgeable about you. Your location says "overseas". Which seas? Where is the rifle located now? A little more info may help with your sale...............best of luck........FWB

Dang, that's right... my oversight, I'll update the information. Appreciate your input.

The rifle is located in northwest Arkansas. I bought it while overseas in Germany with the service, and brought the weapon back after clearing ATF/customs once I left active duty orders at the end of last month. (ATF clearance paperwork available if so requested). I am currently back and forth between Arkansas/Germany while studying in grad school but home for some weeks over the holidays/school breaks. Can arrange for shipping to a US FFL or if someone is an Arkansas resident, arrange a sale in person within 3 hours of NWA.

Last edited:
Hi @Whit,

Than you for your service to our country and welcome to AH. The crickets on your post I suspect are because of the price. Everyone reading it knows what a 9.3x74R Merkel double rifle is, but here in the States “medium bore” double rifles don’t fetch very much money. On a good day, you might buy three of them for $12,000. On any day, it would be easy to buy two for $12,000.

I’m not saying its right, just that small bore and medium bore mass-produced (not bespoke) double rifles are a very soft item in the US market.

Hi @Whit,

Than you for your service to our country and welcome to AH. The crickets on your post I suspect are because of the price. Everyone reading it knows what a 9.3x74R Merkel double rifle is, but here in the States “medium bore” double rifles don’t fetch very much money. On a good day, you might buy three of them for $12,000. On any day, it would be easy to buy two for $12,000.

I’m not saying its right, just that small bore and medium bore mass-produced (not bespoke) double rifles are a very soft item in the US market.
@Whit, to concur with @rookhawk I would even venture to say that even here in Europe these rifles will not fetch 5 digits for a pre-owned one. Even in excellent state.

Even if the Merkel in the link is not the exact same model or engraving, it is similar. By the auction house, it is perhaps an under estimation of the value, but it is still far below the figure you would like to sell it for: https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.c...alelot=A1221+++1200+&refno=++169157&saletype=

Best regards and good luck.

V.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 5.45.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 5.45.59 PM.png
    968.4 KB · Views: 168
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 5.46.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 5.46.00 PM.png
    914 KB · Views: 168
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 5.46.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 5.46.02 PM.png
    438.5 KB · Views: 154
Hey everyone, have a Merkel rifle for sale... it's brand new, really beautiful. It's a gorgeous weapon, but not something I'd really ever use to be frank. I am hoping the sale will fund my first hunting trip to Africa...!!! So I kinda of cobbled together the description from the Merkel website:

MERKEL Model 141.1 SIDE x SIDE RIFLE ... 9.3X74R caliber ... 21.6" barrel ... A slimline, compact side by side double rifle weighing approximately 6.5lbs. Anson Deeley lockwork, Greener-style cross bolt and double conventional bottom bite. This particular rifle has extractors and double triggers. The front trigger is a Set trigger. Unique to the 141 is the ability to adjust the barrel’s point of impact for regulating different loads. The receiver is coin and employs Arabesque style engraving. It has a beautiful, oiled class 5 European Walnut stock with the optional shadowline cheek piece. Also included is an automatic safety and cocking indicator.

Engraving features game scenes of a running boar on the right side of the receiver and a red deer stag on the left. Arabesque scroll engraving surrounds these scenes and covers the bottom of the receiver, trigger guard, operating lever and the fore end latching hardware. Luxury grade European walnut with straight grain is used for the pistol grip, Monte Carlo stock and the full-size forearm. Multi-point checkering is perfectly cut into the gripping surfaces. Please note the perfection wood-to-metal joints.

Condition: Brand new, 100% per Cabela's evaluation today, and I cannot find a nick, flaw, scratch, anything on it. Comes with Merkel factory paperwork confirming accuracy/certification of origin. Never fired outside of the factory rounds to my knowledge. I am the first & only private owner and purchased the rifle from a German gun shop when stationed in the country. MSR is $13920 per the Gun Blue Book, but would take $11800. More photos available upon request. Will throw in padded hard case for shipping/travel and two locks (for TSA-approval, everyone knows they are a pain). Wire transfers preferred or a money order & shipping to FFL.

PM me if interested -

View attachment 435292
img_8764-jpg.435286

img_8757-jpg.435287

img_8758-jpg.435288

img_8764-jpg.435289

img_8765-jpg.435290

img_8766-jpg.435291

img_8771-jpg.435293
I echo thank you so much for your service but I have found the same thing is US. Your price is probably 50% to high but I absolutely wish you well on your sale

Hi @Whit,

Gents, thanks all. Tough to hear that! Let me do a bit more research, and we'll adjust the price to reflect the market...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 9.16.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 9.16.20 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 128
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 9.16.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 9.16.22 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 149
James Wayne Firearms is one of the most expensive on the net. He does trades, has layaway, retail location, takes credit card, etc.

If you don‘t know what your gun is worth, PM and ask, lots of helpful experts on here. Or review the listings to see the past prices being asked before the guns sold. (Assume gun sold for 10% less than last advertised price)

Okay, folks, I did some additional research, and here we go... Adjusted ask of $8495 but would take $8000. Given the pristine, immaculate condition of the rifle, engravings and scroll designs, plus the fact it's never been fired, it is worth the ask.

The same rifle for sale online at $9250: https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...l-model-141-1-9-3x74r-dt.cfm?gun_id=100802972

Good morning everyone - new asking price:

$7495 - would take $7000.

Fair price. Gun should go shortly. Good luck with sale!!!

Sold - thanks all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg