vette447

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI, DSC
Hunted
USA (AK,CO,NM,WY,TX,KS,OK), Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Argentina, France
I am selling a few select rifles out of my personal collection. This one is one of the finest and most complete examples of a fine prewar John Rigby & Co classic bolt action rifle in the venerable .275 Rigby cartridge (aka 7x57 Mauser). This rifle features an Oberndorf Mauser action with flag safety with “SAFE” in gold and original Rigby peep rear sight. The barrel is 25” featuring two folding leaf express sights and a front gold bead. This rifled is cased with full accessories. The stock is a very nicely figured dark walnut with original rich and warm oil finish and original steel trap door plate. The stock also features a traditional English rear sling swivel. Front sling swivel is properly barrel mounted. The rifle comes cased with full suite of accompanying Rigby accessories (including the keys!). The case and accessories are in excellent condition.

This rifle was made in 1934 for Capt D. Hignett of the 10th Royal Hussars. Capt Derek Hignett was promoted to Lt Col in 1940 and led a distinguished military career detailed here:

http://www.in-touch.ukvet.net/59/59hig.htm

Rigby Ledger states:

Serial No. 5449

Delivered to Capt D. Hignett Sept 13, 1934

Barrel length 25 inches

Stock length 14 5/8” inches

Weight with 7.5 lbs

Peep sight with two folding leaves at 100 and 300 yds and bead gold front

LOP is 14-5/8" to the end of the steel buttplate and weight is 7.5 lbs. Overall the rifle is in near new condition showing only some handling marks on the wood (see pics) but having evidently been fired very little. This is one of the nicest prewar Rigby rifles that I have seen and represents an exceptional example of the classic British game rifle in a wonderful hunting cartridge executed by its namesake British maker.

Price is $13,500 plus actual shipping to your FFL. I can accept cashier’s checks for payment.

Please email me with any questions or wish to see additional pictures. Thanks!

Rigby_1.jpg
Rigby_2.jpg
Rigby_3.jpg
Rigby_4.jpg
Rigby_5.jpg
Rigby_6.jpg
Rigby_7.jpg
Rigby_8.jpg
Rigby_9.jpg
Rigby_10.jpg
Rigby_11.jpg
Rigby_12.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 5.25.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 5.25.46 PM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 309
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my gosh, somebody buy this quick!

Beautiful Rigby! Someone is going to get a great rifle.

Wow! If I hadn't just blown this years budget on a safari, I'd be very interested!

Someone will be super happy with this fine rifle!

Fantastic! I’d say it belongs in a museum but we all know they ruin them.

Thanks guys. It is hard to part with. Whoever ends up with it will not be disappointed, I assure you.

Nothing better than a fine vintage bolt gun from the UK. While I only play with doubles, if I had a trading piece you were interested in I would be pleased to own such a gem (even if it has only one barrel).

This one is SPF. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathi6164

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.