For Sale Four Best Quality Rifles 7x57, .270, .375, .416

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
In order to get my kids to join me on the next safari, I need to reduce my guns to the essential. My intention is to sell two of the four guns listed here as they provide some level of redundancy.

Gun 1 - An Abercrombie & Fitch Mauser action rifle in .270 Winchester. The gun is in its Abercrombie & Fitch case and it includes the original purchase invoice and paper shipping box as well. The rifle has a high luster finish, is engraved "Abercrombie & Fitch, Beverly Hills, CA". This was one of the last rifles ever made for A&F before their untimely demise. Dual crossbolts. Jeweled Bolt. EXTREMELY lightweight. Has a long 15" length of pull. Includes a $1200 Leica 2.5x10x50 rifle scope. Includes talley quick detach rings and mounts. The rifle had never been fired before I acquired it. (it had no mounts or scope ever installed!) I had the case refitted to accommodate the scope. I have the original trigger group but I also installed a timney trigger as I'm quite choosy about triggers. Sighted the gun and put 5 shots on paper. Cleaned it and put it up. This is as nice of a gentleman's long-range gun as you can as for. Nothing of this quality as-new will you find for anywhere near this price. $4850.

IMG_0935.JPG

Gun 2 - A Dakota Model 10 Single Shot rifle in 7x57. I've used this rifle on 3 hunts. It has taken bushbuck, kudu twice, zebra, duiker, warthog, more than a dozen impala, elk, bear, and other things that escape me. The gun has exhibition english walnut stock. Doug Turnbull Case Colored Receiver and Rings. Talley QD Rings. 23" match quality Douglas barrel. Ample loaded ammo and once fired brass. A swarovski 1-6x24 scope. It has a best case from the Dakota custom shop that is french fitted of oak & leather. LOP is about 15" and I have a second fitted recoil pad for 14" also. I also have a 260 Remington barrel for the rifle (removed by dakota, other barrel also provided by dakota) Full package cost was around $13,800 new a few years ago. Price of $7200.

IMG_3339.jpg

Gun 3 - A circa 1951 Cogswell & Harrison .375H&H made in London. Absolutely a stunning rifle. It has a Swarovski 1-6x24 scope. It has a Griffin & Howe quick detach scope mount. It has a Winchester model 70 style side safety as well. The scope and safety were provisioned and installed by Griffin & Howe, about a $2000 installation. The gun has a 14-5/8" length of pull. The gun is EXCEEDINGLY accurate and I've used it out to 345 yards as equipped for a shot off sticks on a bushbuck. (the closest we could get in 14 days). It has been used on Hippo and Buffalo by me along with other game on safari. Gorgeous English Walnut stock. Includes a fitted safari case of leather with brass corners and period correct leather trade label. Price of $8500.

IMG_3340.jpg

Gun 4 - A Circa WWII best quality .416 Rigby made by Auguste Francotte. Generous 14-5/8" Length of Pull. Standing and folding iron sights. Perfect action feed. 4+1 rigby style bottom metal. Rigby style quarter rib. Best quality with approximately 26" barrel. Internal crossbolts. Match quality flawless primary and set triggers. Includes fitted canvas and leather safari case. Exhibition wood stock with ebony forend and grip cap. An ideal all around gun for dangerous and non-dangerous game. Price $11,500.

IMG_1071 2.jpg

All rifles are located in USA and prevailing FFL or if local, Illinois FOID card is required. If you wish to receive them via export you can purchase from me and have them sent to a lawful FFL exporter for you to arrange subsequent export, but I will not provide end-to-end shipping, paperwork, or processing. These are the finest quality rifles I've owned and the ones I cherry-picked from dozens to keep for my hunts. With shifting priorities and the fact that they overlap in their capabilities, I will sell two of these and keep two.

Beautiful rifles! Good luck with your sale!

Be still my collectors heart we are going back with what we have already.
Beautiful rifles I wish you all the best in sale of same

You have excellent taste in rifles. Very nice. Best of luck with your sale.
Bruce

Exquisite— I find myself returning to pictures repeatedly—personal favorite is 416 rigby but upcoming elephant hunt is holding me back. Very good luck to you sir and thanks for pics

Exquisite— I find myself returning to pictures repeatedly—personal favorite is 416 rigby but upcoming elephant hunt is holding me back. Very good luck to you sir and thanks for pics

The guns are merely a drop in the bucket on a safari, especially an elephant safari. Add a modest gun, good detachable mounts, work through the gunsmithing for good feed reliability, then buy a premium optic...you land at about the same price as these guns only you own a tricked-out Ford instead of a classic ferrari. I would have no hesitation using these guns on Safari for DG and in fact for two of the four I already have multiple times. What I see people buy for the same kind of all-in money is astounding, and ultimately becomes death by a thousand cuts financially because they didn't add up what it takes to get ready for a safari.

No interest? I'll reduce the prices:

Abercrombie & Fitch Mauser .270 - $4750
Dakota Model 10 7x57 - $6900
Cogswell & Harrison .375HH - $8250
Auguste Francotte .416 Rigby Mauser - $11,000

Rather surprised there is no traction, similar guns without premium optics, cases, and accessories have sold recently for about what I'm asking for the first 3, and the last Francotte .416 Rigby that sold went for around $16,000.

It's black Friday, I might as well say today like the rest of the world "entertaining offers", supplies limited, limited to stock on hand, some exclusions apply.

Just noticed this thread. They are beautifully crafted rifles and worth the asking prices. Good luck with the sale.

Edit: Are there any European fine rifle websites? Might get some interest over the pond.

Just noticed this thread. They are beautifully crafted rifles and worth the asking prices. Good luck with the sale.

Edit: Are there any European fine rifle websites? Might get some interest over the pond.

They take a 20% cut, thus they would markup by 20%, then there would be less "bargain" for the buyer. I'll consider it if they don't get traction on this venue.

You have an amazing collection. Any .404s left in that closet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg