For Sale Fixer Searcy Double In 500/416 NE

Glad you got some closure.

I suspect this was overall a pretty painful experience, and didn't end how you hoped, but I think we all learned some things from this thread that can help each of us stay out of trouble on future deals?

Glad you got some closure.

I suspect this was overall a pretty painful experience, and didn't end how you hoped, but I think we all learned some things from this thread that can help each of us stay out of trouble on future deals?

Exactly. Based on this response from Searcy one thing I learned is to never to buy one of his guns or recommend anyone else to buy one of his guns.

...Rest assured that I will not work on this rifle no matter who decide to buy it.
What do you think about that Supercat
Butch Searcy

It is one thing to get mad at one of one's customers, it is another to not service one's product that was sold to someone else, especially if that person presumably would be paying for the labor.

I can't see Heym, Merkel, VC, Chapuis et al. doing something similar. One big reason to buy from companies that have been building double rifles for many decades and stand behind their products instead of a prima donna gunsmith.

Agreed. I think the worst sin amongst this whole process was that Butch Searcy did worse than nothing. Had he said "tough luck, go away" the seller would have had a rifle that bent brass but was otherwise in good order. A skilled gunsmith could have done a variety of things to solve that problem including changing the caliber possibly, and re-regulating.

The fact that Butch tried to patch the gun together with a repair that forever altered the gun and THEN wouldn't make good on it by starting over with a new set of barrels is the travesty. He did a bad repair and then voided his warranty that was exacerbated by his repair. <-That's the epic injustice of the whole thing.

Heck I think my Ruger No. 1 in 450/400 loaded with swift A-frame at over 2200 is safer than some of this stuff that jams won't feed or regulate. If I do my part it will put then in a inch group. I think to many people expect to much out these double which are made for close range stopping.
Right on Iwaters! I too think the Ruger No1 is the most reliable rifle ever made - no feed issues, no misfires, no extractor issues, no breach opening. Perfect!

That's how I see it as well. I will use my Ruger No. 1. Only question is if it will be the 375, the 450/400, or the 458. But it's good to have choices. FWIW, I think Mr. Searcy's response was seriously off the mark and sub par. If buying an expensive gun from a one person operation, one has to put a lot of confidence in that person.

FWIW. The circle of the rifle is now complete. 1.) Purchased it with a stated or implied warranty. (on Searcy website it says there is a warranty and its void if a different gunsmith works on the gun), 2.) The gun was defective. 3.) The maker honored a warranty claim and did a repair. 4.) The repair was not appropriate and didn't cure the problem. It also lowered the value of the gun. 5.) The maker would not stand behind the warranty work and then changed the terms to end the warranty without justification. 6.) The gun was sold for a significant loss. (real damages).

That may be enough to file a suit now that damages are provable. The fact that a warranty was performed proves there was a warranty. The failure to cure the defect shows bad faith. The voiding of the warranty after a shoddy repair shows the maker violated his own terms. The sale for a tremendous loss due to the defective repair and refusal to warranty the gun further shows the damages.

In some jurisdictions the small claims maximums are quite high, often $5000-$6000. You may be able to sue in a jurisdiction other than the county in which the maker is present.

In short, this is not legal advice but a scenario by a non-attorney that suggests you should run this by an actual attorney for advice. It seems plausible that you have a claim.

FWIW. The circle of the rifle is now complete. 1.) Purchased it with a stated or implied warranty. (on Searcy website it says there is a warranty and its void if a different gunsmith works on the gun), 2.) The gun was defective. 3.) The maker honored a warranty claim and did a repair. 4.) The repair was not appropriate and didn't cure the problem. It also lowered the value of the gun. 5.) The maker would not stand behind the warranty work and then changed the terms to end the warranty without justification. 6.) The gun was sold for a significant loss. (real damages).

That may be enough to file a suit now that damages are provable. The fact that a warranty was performed proves there was a warranty. The failure to cure the defect shows bad faith. The voiding of the warranty after a shoddy repair shows the maker violated his own terms. The sale for a tremendous loss due to the defective repair and refusal to warranty the gun further shows the damages.

In some jurisdictions the small claims maximums are quite high, often $5000-$6000. You may be able to sue in a jurisdiction other than the county in which the maker is present.

In short, this is not legal advice but a scenario by a non-attorney that suggests you should run this by an actual attorney for advice. It seems plausible that you have a claim.
And using his own words from his post would be a powerful statement.

For that amount it would not be worth the time investment to sue. Plus, even if one wins it does not mean one can collect.

Yip.

I will never look at nor buy a Butch Searcy double rifle, new or used.

Buy a VC used or new it comes with superb after sales service and is a properly built double rifle to start with.
I would retract my statement regarding the VC....that was 3 years ago...I had handled them and the outside made me blind to the inside...Jerome was a super salesman and actually had me all measured up for what I wanted to order....thanfully I came to my senses and did not place the order.
Heym would be my first choice for a modern double.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!