For Sale Early Dakota 76 African In .416 Rigby

rblum

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
Tanzania, Korea, Canada, South Africa, Alaska
I have a very nice Dakota in .416 Rigby… Serial Number 33. Beautiful custom wood. Leupold scope. Much more. Email me for details and photo. Bob at Theblums dot net. $6000.

Last edited:
I have a very nice Dakota in .416 Rigby… Serial Number 33. Beautiful custom wood. Leupold scope. Much more. Email me for details and photo. Bob at Theblums dot net. $6000.
Yup. It is generating a lot of inquiries. It is for real...

Doubtful… No provision of bona fides except upon request and via email. Price is too good to be true? I sincerely apologize if I’m wrong.

I spoke to the gentleman via email and got the details of the rifle. I saw nothing in our correspondence that suggested that the rifle or the seller isn’t “for real”.

I passed on the rifle from a collector standpoint because its set up for as a ”functional safari weapon”. I hope the seller posts all the details as there is a lid for every pot, someone on this forum will appreciate the rifle as modified and configured for their next hunt.

Doubtful… No provision of bona fides except upon request and via email. Price is too good to be true? I sincerely apologize if I’m wrong.
Well, you owe me an apology. Not just ”an apology” but a SINCERE apology. Good Lord!

I spoke to the gentleman via email and got the details of the rifle. I saw nothing in our correspondence that suggested that the rifle or the seller isn’t “for real”.

I passed on the rifle from a collector standpoint because its set up for as a ”functional safari weapon”. I hope the seller posts all the details as there is a lid for every pot, someone on this forum will appreciate the rifle as modified and configured for their next hunt.
Rookhawk,

Not interested in this, but what do you mean by “functional safari weapon” ? Just curious. As the OP won’t post a photo. Wondering if you mean like this one. It’s a 375 Dakota though.

JP

FE194993-F996-4642-B398-080B7547678E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the suggestion as well as your suggestion to mention the muzzle brake.
#R0033, Dakota Safari Grade in 416 Rigby with Extras

• 24" Barrel with island rear sight with 1 standing & 1 folding,
  • Front ramp with a lock on sight hood,
  • Barrel band swivel,
  • Magna-Port muzzle brake,
  • Belly magazine box with a deep hinged straddle floorplate with a center bow release,
  • 2 panel bolt knob checkering,
  • Factory Model 70 3-position safety,
  • Double Lever detachable Leupold 1" rings & bases mounted with a
  • 30mm Leupold 1.5 x 5 with an illuminated reticule,
  • 14" LOP over a 1" decelerator pad, 11 lbs. 1 oz. with the scope & 10 lbs. 1 oz. without,
  • It has 3 stocks that go with this gun, A very nice custom stock that was done at Duncan's Gunworks in San Marcos, Calif. Duncan's has been in the trade for almost 60 years, A nice piece of English Walnut that has very nice color & contrast, Classic style, Palm swell at the grip, Double cross bolts at the action body, Rosewood forend tip, Point pattern checkering, Shadowline cheekpiece, Steel grip cap, Double screw rear sling eye, Very nice inletting, A beefier stock than the factory stock, The original factory stock is totally original & in excellent shape except it was cut short to 12 7/8" with a 1" pad, A super spare stock set-up for the ideal wood extension, It also has a spare synthetic stock with a 14 3/4"LOP,
  • I have used it on two Safaris. The only change was that I had the bolt re jeweled.

DakotaSaf416y932 copy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the suggestion as well as your suggestion to mention the muzzle brake.
#R0033, Dakota Safari Grade in 416 Rigby with Extras

• 24" Barrel with island rear sight with 1 standing & 1 folding,
  • Front ramp with a lock on sight hood,
  • Barrel band swivel,
  • Magna-Port muzzle brake,
  • Belly magazine box with a deep hinged straddle floorplate with a center bow release,
  • 2 panel bolt knob checkering,
  • Factory Model 70 3-position safety,
  • Double Lever detachable Leupold 1" rings & bases mounted with a
  • 30mm Leupold 1.5 x 5 with an illuminated reticule,
  • 14" LOP over a 1" decelerator pad, 11 lbs. 1 oz. with the scope & 10 lbs. 1 oz. without,
  • It has 3 stocks that go with this gun, A very nice custom stock that was done at Duncan's Gunworks in San Marcos, Calif. Duncan's has been in the trade for almost 60 years, A nice piece of English Walnut that has very nice color & contrast, Classic style, Palm swell at the grip, Double cross bolts at the action body, Rosewood forend tip, Point pattern checkering, Shadowline cheekpiece, Steel grip cap, Double screw rear sling eye, Very nice inletting, A beefier stock than the factory stock, The original factory stock is totally original & in excellent shape except it was cut short to 12 7/8" with a 1" pad, A super spare stock set-up for the ideal wood extension, It also has a spare synthetic stock with a 14 3/4"LOP,
  • I have used it on two Safaris. The only change was that I had the bolt re jeweled.

Well, you owe me an apology. Not just ”an apology” but a SINCERE apology. Good Lord!
Already did in my first post ;). Can’t be too careful these days. It’s a good idea to post pictures or promise to post pictures soon when you’re trying to sell something. You’ve been a member for a while now.. Perhaps you noticed the recent incidents of scammers gaining access to longstanding member’s accounts?

Last edited:
Rookhawk,

Not interested in this, but what do you mean by “functional safari weapon” ? Just curious. As the OP won’t post a photo. Wondering if you mean like this one. It’s a 375 Dakota though.

JP

I love Dakota rifles and they are very reliable weapons. There are two types: “collector grade” guns with many add-on features, upgraded, wood, minty condition, rare calibers, etc,etc. Then there are guns that read like this one that have been carried on a couple safaris which doesn’t change its functionality as a safari weapon.

-it’s a Safari grade, not an Africa grade
-it has an island rear sight, not a quarter rib
-Blued, not case colored
-As a safari model, doesn’t have the forend mercury recoil reducer
-As a safari model, doesn’t have the extended bottom metal standard
-It’s been magna ported
-The original stock is cut down to 12ish inches
-Has an additional wood stock from another maker
-Has a plastic stock that is longer

The seller seems quite legitimate to me and the gun sounds like a pretty good hunting tool but not a collector grade/condition/originality weapon. It doesn’t sound like the seller was representing it in any way but what it is, a good shooting iron.

I love Dakota rifles and they are very reliable weapons. There are two types: “collector grade” guns with many add-on features, upgraded, wood, minty condition, rare calibers, etc,etc. Then there are guns that read like this one that have been carried on a couple safaris which doesn’t change its functionality as a safari weapon.

-it’s a Safari grade, not an Africa grade
-it has an island rear sight, not a quarter rib
-Blued, not case colored
-As a safari model, doesn’t have the forend mercury recoil reducer
-As a safari model, doesn’t have the extended bottom metal standard
-It’s been magna ported
-The original stock is cut down to 12ish inches
-Has an additional wood stock from another maker
-Has a plastic stock that is longer

The seller seems quite legitimate to me and the gun sounds like a pretty good hunting tool but not a collector grade/condition/originality weapon. It doesn’t sound like the seller was representing it in any way but what it is, a good shooting iron.
Thank you for the explanation. Appreciate it.
I love Dakotas as well.

Best of luck to the OP on the sale.

JP

It is gorgeous and I'd love to have it, but I'll stick to my trusty CZ with it's old, shiny Leopold Vari-X3 - 1.5 -5X.

My .416 is no beauty queen, but my wife only paid $700 for it (new) as my 40th birthday present!

It has proven itself on the "dark continent".

That’s a nice looking rifle @rblum.

Has this rifle been listed by Champlin Firearms before? The pictures seem like how Champlin posts his rifles for sale.

A very good value here, I think. Best of luck................FWB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg