For Sale Duane Weibe Rifle In 460 Weatherby $15,000 OBO

No, the .458WM came out in 1956, the .460 Weatherby in 1957. Ol' Roy always designed a faster cartridge than the current offering.

Thanks CoElkHinter for correcting me. I was pretty sure there was a correlation there between the 2 just couldn't remember which came first.

Then the 460 Weatherby was Weatherby's attempt to compete against the 458WM and Weatherby's attempt to compete against European gun makers as an Africa DG gun.

I have read that Roy Weatherby created the 378 Weatherby Magnum then discovered that it was not legal in some African countries, which required a .40+ caliber for DG, It is reported that he suspected this was a delierate move by certain hide-bound PHs to stymie him. So he necked the 378 up to 460 and created the new 460 Wby Magnum cartridge.

I love custom rifles, but the loss on investment is insane. Makers want 30K for a fairly standard rifle out the door...and you go look at them on the secondary market for 5-10K. That's a 20K loss when you walk it out the door...

With the quality of modern factory and semi custom (Rigby Big Game)...it's hard to justify a full house custom.

That's not even touching the drama that happens with virtually every gunsmith on every rifle...a year wait...parts missing...parts that don't fit...wrong parts...stock fit...their wants vs your wants (I like a rifle bedded, many don't want to do bedding at all)...and on and on.

so what is the current price on this rifle? $7500 or $6800? Its for sale at a shop I take it hence the comment about commission costs? It would be nice if the owner would hear about this posting and chime in as im curious as to the what and why as far as pricing and usage since it was for sale last/here. Problems with it or just selling it cheap cheap? Can this be turned into a multi barrel/caliber rifle? Im sure not a quick change but just in general so you could put a 375 barrel in it or ??? and still have the 460 to use if need be. Anyway....i really really really dont need it...but other then the absent barrel band i like the rifle!

so what is the current price on this rifle? $7500 or $6800? Its for sale at a shop I take it hence the comment about commission costs? It would be nice if the owner would hear about this posting and chime in as im curious as to the what and why as far as pricing and usage since it was for sale last/here. Problems with it or just selling it cheap cheap? Can this be turned into a multi barrel/caliber rifle? Im sure not a quick change but just in general so you could put a 375 barrel in it or ??? and still have the 460 to use if need be. Anyway....i really really really dont need it...but other then the absent barrel band i like the rifle!
Looks to be $6850 now. Might be able to get it for less though? I like it too (I am seriously tempted by it at that price point but I’ve got a hunt next year and that comes first). I’ve even called about it and the LOP is 13 3/4” which is a little shorter than what I would like. I admittedly have a bit of a fascination with the cartridge. If loaded at sane levels..

According to the OP the front sling swivel stud ties into an integral recoil lug. I would be curious to know if it could be gotten rid of and replaced with a screw, then attach of these: https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/proddetail.php?prod=8151
Maybe even chop off 2” of barrel and have a barrel band swivel stud put on instead.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-21 at 1.35.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-21 at 1.35.11 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
"I love custom rifles, but the loss on investment is insane."
Does this not present a good opportunity for later buyers of those custom rifles?

Looks to be $6850 now. Might be able to get it for less though? I like it too (I am seriously tempted by it at that price point but I’ve got a hunt next year and that comes first). I’ve even called about it and the LOP is 13 3/4” which is a little shorter than what I would like. I admittedly have a bit of a fascination with the cartridge. If loaded at sane levels..

According to the OP the front sling swivel stud ties into an integral recoil lug. I would be curious to know if it could be gotten rid of and replaced with a screw, then attach of these: https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/proddetail.php?prod=8151
Maybe even chop off 2” of barrel and have a barrel band swivel stud put on instead.

Pick it up for $5800. Send it to Duane Wiebe. Pay $1200-$1500 to get a proper quarter rib, express sights, barrel band swivel, and a new barrel chambered in a sought-after magnum cartridge and for around $7000 you have a $12,000-$15,000 gun.

Ill have to call Duane Wiebe and see if that price line is close as thats the way to do it. Since caliber is already at 460 what would you go up to think as you cant make hole smaller! LOL! All of these are the 460 WBY necked up or shortened or ???

460 A SQUARE SHORT
465 HH MAG
475 A&M
495 A SQUARE=SHORTENED 460 CASE
500 WHISPER
.50 PEACEKEEPER
500 A SQUARE=The .500 A-Square is capable of achieving 8,127 ft·lbf (11,019 J) energy with a 600-grain (39 g) bullet launched at 2,470 ft/s (750 m/s).

505 BARNES SUPREME="the nominal bore size for that is .510? See P.O.Ackley's handbook volume2. It is the full length .460 necked up to .50. Single shot, unless you have a Weatherby or Magnum Mauser action. Full house smokeless loads in this caliber generate 10,000+ FPE. Best in a crew served weapon......."

Also found some gents talking about a 408-460 WBY! :unsure::whistle:o_O but thats going the wrong direction to utilize that barrel.

Here is another bit of info: "The .460 Weatherby Magnum is the world's most powerful commercially available sporting cartridge. The .460 will launch a 500-grain (32 g) bullet at a chronographed velocity of 2,700 ft/s (820 m/s) from a 26-inch (660 mm) barrel, measuring 8,100 ft·lbf (11,000 J) of muzzle energy. Prior to the arrival of the .460 Weatherby Magnum on the hunting scene, the .600 Nitro Express had been considered to be the most powerful cartridge in terms of energy." :unsure:

Last edited:
Ill have to call Duane Wiebe and see if that price line is close as thats the way to do it. Since caliber is already at 460 what would you go up to think as you cant make hole smaller! LOL! All of these are the 460 WBY necked up or shortened or ???

460 A SQUARE SHORT
465 HH MAG
475 A&M
500 WHISPER
.50 PEACEKEEPER
500 A SQUARE=The .500 A-Square is capable of achieving 8,127 ft·lbf (11,019 J) energy with a 600-grain (39 g) bullet launched at 2,470 ft/s (750 m/s)

Here is another bit of info: "The .460 Weatherby Magnum is the world's most powerful commercially available sporting cartridge. The .460 will launch a 500-grain (32 g) bullet at a chronographed velocity of 2,700 ft/s (820 m/s) from a 26-inch (660 mm) barrel, measuring 8,100 ft·lbf (11,000 J) of muzzle energy. Prior to the arrival of the .460 Weatherby Magnum on the hunting scene, the .600 Nitro Express had been considered to be the most powerful cartridge in terms of energy."

Throw the original barrel away. Reboring is done by 4 people, very backlogged, and you may not get the chamber to cleanup from 460W to anything else. It’s cheap if it would cleanup, but there is a simpler way.

New Barrel. Quarter rib. Express sights. Folding front night bead. Sling band on the barrel.

Then you can chamber for anything and since the gun’s size is a large magnum, you’d want a large magnum that is desirable. After all, you want it to hold its value rather than be the next victim in a chain of bad judgment.

those calibers that would suit the gun are: 450 Rigby or 500 Jeffery.

Going smaller is a waste because you have a magnum Mauser action that is big enough for really large stuff it appears.

500 jeffery sounds like a winner or 505 gibbs? I am very curious what a new barrel/quarter rib/express sights & barrel band would cost? I am headed out now but i might try to contact Duane or someone tomorrow to see whats what on that custom work with re-barrel.

Or...instead of all that, just load the 460 down a bit and make sure its got a solid break on it? Wby has released a few lighter loads for it to cut down on scope bites and bruised shoulders! LOL!

Last edited:
You’d salvage the ramp and other bits from the existing barrel. Quarter rib is $300-400 in the white. Barrel band $150. Rear and front sights $75 a piece. Barrel is $400ish. Chambering, bluing extra.

Pick it up for $5800. Send it to Duane Wiebe. Pay $1200-$1500 to get a proper quarter rib, express sights, barrel band swivel, and a new barrel chambered in a sought-after magnum cartridge and for around $7000 you have a $12,000-$15,000 gun.
I truly wish I was in position to do so. However a couple of things would give me pause on the re-barrel with express sights plan.

1) How is the stock going to look once you remove the peep sight? Unsightly lines?

2) Given that the current barrel has an integral recoil lug above the location of the sling swivel stud with the stud itself acting as a “tie down”(?), I would have to have a new barrel made with another integral recoil lug to fill that gap in the forend and to utilize a screw in place of the stud (if possible?) to plug that hole up as well. Otherwise it would bug the heck out of me. All that would obviously add cost but it sounds like one would still be money ahead on the rifle as a whole.

If someone wants a classy and quality rifle for a good price, this is it. Buy the rifle. Leave it alone. Load to Lott velocities and let the existing 11.5 pounds tame this pussy cat into a sweet shooter. Who cares what the head stamp on the brass says as long as it throws a 500 gr. A-Frame or CEB solid at 2200 fps?

This should be in the good gun deals thread.

I just reached out to them via Gunsinternational and was told the rifle sold roughly 2 hours ago. Hopefully someone here managed to land it. My plan was to unload a couple of Remington Custom shop rifles to fund this little project and follow the guide of turning this into a 500 Jeff as previously mentioned. Always wanted a 500 Jeff and thought this would be a right special way to enter into that club.

Last edited:
I just reached out to them via Gunsinternational and was told the rifle sold roughly 2 hours ago. Hopefully someone here managed to land it. My plan was to unload a couple of Remington Custom shop rifles to fund this little project and follow the guide of turning this into a 500 Jeff as previously mentioned. Always wanted a 500 Jeff and thought this would be a right special way to enter into that club.
@krish??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois