Uncompahgre

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI, NRA, RMEF & CBA
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Finland & USA
I have reluctantly decided to sell my 416 Rigby since my shoulder can no longer tolerate the recoil after going through total shoulder replacement surgery this past year. In addition to the rifle I am selling the all reloading components I have as well. The only option I have is the Aimpoint on top of the rifle. I can sell the rifle with or without the Aimpoint. I would prefer to sell all as a package, but would consider offers for the components only. The rifle has been glass bedded and the bolt handle has been touched up. The bolt throw is smooth. The rifle has been shot approximately 150+/- times. The rifle is extremely accurate. The components are as follows: RCBS 416 Rigby dies; 77 Hornady DGS 400 grain bullets; 76 Hornady DGX 400 grain bullets; 27 Hornady Interlock 400 grain bullets; 67 Barnes 400 grain solid banded round nose bullets; 50 North Fork 400 grain solid flat point bullets; 114 pieces of Hornady new unprimed brass; 45 pieces of Hornady used unprimed brass. The Aimpoint is a 9000L 4 mil dot scope. I hope I am not insulting anyone with what I am asking and will consider serious offers. For the rifle, Aimpoint and components I am asking $1,950 US. Without the Aimpoint I am asking $1,600 US.

DSCN4366.jpg
DSCN4365.jpg
DSCN4367.jpg
DSCN4368.jpg
DSCN4369.jpg
DSCN4370.jpg
DSCN4371.jpg
DSCN4372.jpg
DSCN4373.jpg
DSCN4375.jpg
DSCN4377.jpg
DSCN4378.jpg
DSCN4379.jpg
DSCN4380.jpg
DSCN4381.jpg
DSCN4384.jpg
DSCN4388.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the rifle still available?

Yes it is, but without the Aimpoint. Please PM me to discuss further. The rifle needs a new home.

Anybody looking for a great no frills working mans DG rifle should jump on this.

The rifle has been sold. The components are still available. Thank you for your interest in this post.

Uncompahgre, sorry about your shoulder. I blew all four tendons out on my right rotator. Took nearly two years to get back to normal. Today at 71 I can do 20 push-ups in a row on a good day! I hope yours gets back to the way it was.
Best of luck!

Ridgewalker, thank you for the kind words. My shoulder was bone on bone with the ball flattened. Since the surgery I have had zero chronic pain for the first time in five plus years. I have more movement now and the shoulder is getting stronger by the day. Thus, the surgery was a tremendous success. Unfortunately, it is now very sensitive to recoil. I'm taking the good with the bad.

Glad to hear you’re improving well!
Personally I can’t handle the recoil of a 416 Rigby. I’ve fired several rounds through a buddies RSM. I fired my PH’s 458 Lott off hand and it honestly didn’t seem as bad. But it was a very heavy CZ. I’d like to try a 404 Jeffrey to see how it is.
My MRC in 375 H&H I bought with a muzzle brake because I had a torn retina and didn’t want to be in Africa if it severed. I just bought a Kimber Talkeetna to try and see how I can handle a 375 with no brake.
Hope that shoulder heals well enough you can get back in the field even if it’s a light caliber!

By the way, are you by any chance in Colorado? With a nickname of Uncompahgre, I think of one of our 14ers I’ve climbed numerous times.

Ridgewalker, I really like both of my 404 Jeffery(s). You are a big fan of MRC and they now offer 404 Jeffery in some of their models. They do recoil more than the 375(s) and I would opt for a wood stock over synthetic just to add some additional weight. If you hurry, you could probably get it in time for your upcoming DG hunt. I'd hate seeing a buddy go to Africa under-gunned!!

Art, I am dreaming of a new MRC in 404 Jeffery, but I’d really like to shoot one before I make a full commitment. My DG hunt this year is for lion and I think my 375 is a bit better choice for it. Johan told me he is getting a 375 for the hunt rather than his 458 Lott. That tells me something.
2020 I will be returning to Africa but with my granddaughter, so no DG when she is there. I don’t want to face another Black Death while worrying about her safety.

Sorry for the late post. Ridgewalker, yes there is a 14,308 foot Uncompahgre Peak in the San Juan Mountains in southwest Colorado as well as the Uncompahgre Plateau in western Colorado.

Also, I have sold the 416 components. Thanks for all the interest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdrieneRun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois