For Sale CZ 550, .500 Jeffery With Dies, Brass, Bullets

cajunchefray

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
Gently used CZ550 in .500 Jeffery from the CZ Custom shop (Triple River Gunsmithing).
Glass Bedded, Mercury recoil reducer, CZ Classic branded Decelerator pad.
Includes RCBS dies, Lee Factory Crimp Die, 3 rounds of Kynoch 535 grain solids ( the other 2 hurt).

Included 30+ Cast Performance 435 grains LBT solids, 22 HDS head stamped, once fired brass from Superior Cartridge ammo, 15, Norma 1X fired brass, and 22 Woodleigh 570 grain softs, and 3 dummy rounds.

$2400 USD shipped to lower 47 ( sorry no California sales.) Will be packed in a reinforced Plano hard case.

I loaded this rifle to .500 NE ballistics, 570 grain at 2150 (estimate) with 95 grains Varget.
Shoots to the sights at 50 yards. I fired this rifle around 25 times. Consistent 4# trigger pull.

Doctor says it time to help out my shoulder so just sticking with my 450/400 Nitro.

Balances right at the front magazine screw, weighs 10.5 pounds. Action is still a bit rough. I've had feeding issues with the second round ( off the left rail), when cycling the bolt from my shoulder, probably my gangly 160 pounds skinny frame.
Rifle has various handling marks, some scratches on the matte blue, and some scrapes in the stock on right side near the ejection port. (See pictures).
Please PM or post with questions. I can provide more pictures upon request.
Check my feedback on GB, trading as "cajunchef"

IMG_0109.JPG
IMG_0110.JPG
IMG_0113.JPG
IMG_0114.JPG
IMG_0117.JPG
IMG_0129.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA

Certus

AH veteran
Reaction score
$2400 is a bargain. Someone’s going to be very happy.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Nice rifle folks. Anyone planning a buff hunt??

tarbe

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Dang. And I just swore off big guns (they tempt me to spend big $$ on DG).

Great way to get into a 500J.

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Nice rifle, cartridge and equipment at a very reasonable price. Both seller and buyer will be winners.

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
Damn nice rifle! Great deal with all the goodies!
@tarbe another DG Hunt is a great idea, but this rifle and we can start planning! Would also work swell for our elk hunt next year!!

Glenn Slaven

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Whoever may be on the fence, do it!! You will not regret it and at a good price. I may be a little biased, but it is one of the coolest calibers out there in my opinion.

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
Very good price.....already have one but just wondering what length you had the barrel cut to?....and both me and Peteg will agree with you that the kynoch ammo boots like f**k. ...the norma ph was tame in comparison. .very pleasant

cajunchefray

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
Thanks guys for all the messages and comments.
Yes it's a great package for someone want a 500 Jeffery.

Spike T, I rechecked and the barrel length is 24", as they are built from the custom shop. I believe it is factory, as I did not have it cut.

Was planning to send it to Wayne at AHR for the #1 upgrade, but decided to sell, and get my money back ( minus a little) and let the next owner upgrade as desired.

I have no doubt it would get a buff's attention!

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
Thanks guys for all the messages and comments.
Yes it's a great package for someone want a 500 Jeffery.

Spike T, I rechecked and the barrel length is 24", as they are built from the custom shop. I believe it is factory, as I did not have it cut.

Was planning to send it to Wayne at AHR for the #1 upgrade, but decided to sell, and get my money back ( minus a little) and let the next owner upgrade as desired.

I have no doubt it would get a buff's attention!

Yeah got mine from the custom shop...they were having last minute sale at Sci on in last hour of the show bout 4 years ago I think.... Wanted something different and don't like long barrels... So as they had one on display already sold with 20 inch barrel said do the same... got mine for couple hundred dollars more than you are asking.... Was one of those deals you couldn't say no to....especially after a few bloody Marys.......and encouragement from @35bore ....:D....So yeah yours is very good value with the extras

Ridge Runner

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
East Cape, South Africa
Why can't you all put such nice things up for sale,....BEFORE I SET MY BUDGET UP FOR AFRICA?...:cry::cry::cry:(n)(n)(n)

AZDAVE

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
This could get me in trouble but let me ask what is the LOP? Does the feeding problem only occur when you are cycling the bolt when mounted from the shoulder? and feeds ok when you lower the rifle?

35bore

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
Hunted
USA, South Africa, France
Yeah got mine from the custom shop...they were having last minute sale at Sci on in last hour of the show bout 4 years ago I think.... Wanted something different and don't like long barrels... So as they had one on display already sold with 20 inch barrel said do the same... got mine for couple hundred dollars more than you are asking.... Was one of those deals you couldn't say no to....especially after a few bloody Marys.......and encouragement from @35bore ....:D....So yeah yours is very good value with the extras

Ya, twisted your arm didn't I? :whistle:

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted

cajunchefray

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
Thanks AZ
This could get me in trouble but let me ask what is the LOP? Does the feeding problem only occur when you are cycling the bolt when mounted from the shoulder? and feeds ok when you lower the rifle?
Thanks AZDAVE for the interest.
The LOP is just under 14 3/8 inches. That is the longest LOP of any rifle I have but it keeps by right thumb from busting my nose when firing!

The feeding with the CZ .500 happened only when firing at the range, offhand or off sticks.

I've had the same problem with an Interarms Whitworth .375, tuned by a competent gunsmith. I went to a .458 Whitworth and no problems.

That's why my .375 is a Winchester 70 Alaskan.
No problems feeding from the shoulder. Something to the geometry of the system and my arm strength and leverage.

I just ran 10 magazines of dummy rounds, both from the low rifle and shoulder positions, and had no failures to feed. Working the bolt briskly each time.
If you SLOWLY cycle the first round, it wants to jam , rising off the follower a bit too soon.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that it is tuned by a professional gunsmith, familiar with CZ's to smooth feeding before taking it out for Dangerous Game!

As I said , I was going to send to Wayne at AHR, every single comment on his work is 100% positive.
I think, in my amateur opinion FWIW, that the rails, internal upper bridge, maybe bolt need stoning, polishing.

I did this with a CZ 416 Rigby I bought about 15 years ago and fed smoothly after that.

Just didn't want to molest this beauty!

cajunchefray

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
Dang. And I just swore off big guns (they tempt me to spend big $$ on DG).

Great way to get into a 500J.
I'm Swearing off really big guns, just too many!
But I'll still keep a few, .458 Whitworth is just sweet with 400 grain Woodleigh SP at about 2250 fps. She' handles and fits like a new bride, shoot right to the sights at 50 yards.

Scott CWO

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI, WSF, RMEF, GSCO, and NRA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique x3, Tanzania and CAR. Tajikistan, Canada, Mexico, AK, WY, NM, SD, CO, UT, AZ, NV
Thanks AZ

Thanks AZDAVE for the interest.
The LOP is just under 14 3/8 inches. That is the longest LOP of any rifle I have but it keeps by right thumb from busting my nose when firing!

The feeding with the CZ .500 happened only when firing at the range, offhand or off sticks.

I've had the same problem with an Interarms Whitworth .375, tuned by a competent gunsmith. I went to a .458 Whitworth and no problems.

That's why my .375 is a Winchester 70 Alaskan.
No problems feeding from the shoulder. Something to the geometry of the system and my arm strength and leverage.

I just ran 10 magazines of dummy rounds, both from the low rifle and shoulder positions, and had no failures to feed. Working the bolt briskly each time.
If you SLOWLY cycle the first round, it wants to jam , rising off the follower a bit too soon.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that it is tuned by a professional gunsmith, familiar with CZ's to smooth feeding before taking it out for Dangerous Game!

As I said , I was going to send to Wayne at AHR, every single comment on his work is 100% positive.
I think, in my amateur opinion FWIW, that the rails, internal upper bridge, maybe bolt need stoning, polishing.

I did this with a CZ 416 Rigby I bought about 15 years ago and fed smoothly after that.

Just didn't want to molest this beauty!
Yes, Wayne can easily fix the feeding issue just as he does with the .458 Lott.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MathiasTag

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh