Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 8.23.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 8.23.44 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 421
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 8.23.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 8.23.46 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 426
Last edited by a moderator:
Would you happen to know the differences between the Brno 602 and CZ 550? They look very similar. Thanks!

One major difference is the safety. On the 602 the safety is disengaged by sliding it back. On the 550 the safety is disengaged by pushing it forward, which is more common on two position safeties. Of course this can be changed (at extra cost). I believe other than that they are pretty much the same. I believe some 602s have a flip up peep sight machined in the receiver. I have not seen one, but I know they exist.

In my humble opinion, both are very good rifles, but like many rifles they may require a little work. I consider both a great working rifle for dangerous game.

The safety on a 602 feels way more natural to me than the CZ. It just come off as the rifle comes up.
Buy it! 10 hours left to bid on it on GB! Seller says NO credit cards though. Maybe he takes PayPal? Ha! Ha!

Y
I already had one and then sold it on this site.
I do remember that rifle. I had recently bought a CZ or I would have bought it. Well, maybe someone on here will consider buying the one on GB. I think it's a very fair deal?

Its still there with 2 hours to go. Stocks vary in style on the 600 series as well, and that one has the early set trigger which is most common. I prefer the optional curved non set style, but they can be hard to come by. All in all I prefer BRNO ( pronounced as BERNO, not BRUNO as some say) marked rifles over CZ's.

I really wanted to deal with this guy once he posted about a "loser" on here who backed out of a deal.

I really wanted to deal with this guy once he posted about a "loser" on here who backed out of a deal.
Are you referring to the wing nut trying to sell in classifieds here on the Africa Hunting Forum or the BRNO 602 for sale on Gunbroker? The wing nut is toast

The Gunbroker BRNO 602 375HH sold for 800... seems a very good price for an older, sought after model that appeared to be unused and possibly unfired?

Last edited:
Are you referring to the wing nut trying to sell in classifieds here on the Africa Hunting Forum or the BRNO 602 for sale on Gunbroker? The wing nut is toast

The Gunbroker BRNO 602 375HH sold for 800... seems a very good price for an older, sought after model that appeared to be unused and possibly unfired?
Not sure how this ended up here! I assumed it got deleted from the other thread, because I didn’t see it there.
Maybe I had two windows open?

Regardless, someone got a helluva rifle at a helluva price!

I get the feeling this one is not original....front sight hood, no barrel band sling swivel on the stock........

The hood is BRNO or CZ for sure. The stock looks later but this could be a transition rifle. I see too that the pad has the CZ logo on it.
It wouldn't necessarily have a barrel band swivel.

I don't see anything in the Gunbroker rifle that doesn't look at it should.
Here's a pic from a page in the 1992 BRNO-CZ catalog. And pics of a BRNO front sight hood I took off a new factory BRNO rifle from about that time.

1992 BRNO- CZ catalog page.png

BRNO sight hood profile .JPG

BRNO sight hood.JPG

I have that same flyer.

Would you happen to know the differences between the Brno 602 and CZ 550? They look very similar. Thanks!
One major difference is the safety. On the 602 the safety is disengaged by sliding it back. On the 550 the safety is disengaged by pushing it forward, which is more common on two position safeties. Of course this can be changed (at extra cost). I believe other than that they are pretty much the same. I believe some 602s have a flip up peep sight machined in the receiver. I have not seen one, but I know they exist.

In my humble opinion, both are very good rifles, but like many rifles they may require a little work. I consider both a great working rifle for dangerous game.
Agreed!

In addition:
  1. ZKK 602 have a unique trigger design where the trigger pivots on a pin in, and therefore is attached to, the bottom metal, and slides up, when the rifle is assembled, into a notch in the sear mechanism attached to the action (see drawing here under).
  2. Earlier rifles have a classic rounded trigger shape while later rifles have a Glock-looking built-in trigger blocking mechanism in a straight trigger, like this riffles does.
  3. CZ 550 have a different and significantly larger bolt shroud.
  4. ZKK 602 are so stamped on the front bridge. CZ 550 have both front and rear bridge identical (like the rear ZKK 602 bridge).
There is no functional difference between ZKK 602 and CZ 550. These are the same rifles built in the same factory using the same older generation machine-tool machinery (as opposed to CNC machinery). They were marketed as Brno (which is the name of the town where they are made in Czech Republic) under communist rule, then as Česká zbrojovka (Czech Armory) or CZ after the collapse of communism, to piggy back on the international good reputation of the CZ 75 pistol (likely the best of the first generation high-cap 9 mm pistols).

With both ZKK 602 and CZ 550, I recommend replacing the action-mounted sear-blocking factory safety (whether push or pull) with a bolt-mounted firing pin-blocking safety (a.k.a. 3 position or Winchester 70 safety). The firing pin cocking piece may jump the sear and fire the rifle in a hard fall, negating the sear-blocking safety. A firing pin-blocking safety is safer.

ZKK 602 have a reputation for being smoother and more reliable out of the box than CZ 550, but this must be qualified. Specifically:
  • Most issues with CZ 550 rifles result from a multitude of rechambering in the US for which the action feed rails and ramp were not optimized when the barrel was screwed, often with the wrong sheet metal magazine, on the action. Ignoring the precise geometry designed by Paul Mauser and required for CRF to work flawlessly is not exactly a recipe for success.............
  • There apparently was a manual deburring stage in the communist era manufacturing process (labor was cheap then) that was eliminated when the rifles were re-marketed under the CZ brand after profit-seeking capitalism came to Czech Republic. This has resulted in some rough CZ branded actions produced with cutting tools reaching end of life. These can be deburred, polished, smoothed quickly and easily, but this has caused oceans of bad ink on internet...

1603150255634.png

The hood is BRNO or CZ for sure. The stock looks later but this could be a transition rifle. I see too that the pad has the CZ logo on it.
It wouldn't necessarily have a barrel band swivel.

Based on my experience, and I have handled a few, this rifle is 100% factory. Sadly, none of them ever came with a barrel-band front swivel from the factory. This is the other missing feature, with the bolt-mounted safety, that most people looking for an affordable "classic" all steel, true magnum length, double square bridge, integral scope bases, drop belly magazine, integral rear sight base, barrel-band front sight, CRF, DG rifle have regretted in them...

The price at $800 was right and it sold within the day.

Last edited:
Just to add my 5 cents.

I have a ZKK602 in 375H&H and it is a fantastic gun to hunt with. I inherited it from my father after many years of him hunting with it and it remains one of my favourite rifles.

As a small correction, some must have left the factory with a barrel band, as mine has one and I know my father would never have had it retro fitted.

Reliable as an AK47 and shoots like a dart after all these years still. Someone picked up a bargain!

My original also has a barrel band...the other with original stock has no markings of sling swivel off the stock. I might add both have the classic straight stocks and not the hogsback or drop de luxe stock as the one pictured....

I like the barrel band sling point for a rifle sling. I only have them on my two Whitworths. Don’t really know why yet as it’s new to me and I haven’t used it with a backpack on. But my used CZ Lott is missing the front stock sling swivel and although I can’t carry it with the sling, I can still shoot it offhand with my military style sling. Yeah, I know I need to get that fixed before I were to hunt with it, but it’s amazing what can be done when things don’t always go as planned. I’m sure our forefather hunters ran into the same s***, but didn’t complain cause there was nobody who would listen. Shoot ‘em up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg