For Sale As New Dakota 76 Africa In 416 Rigby

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
Well, I have plenty of dangerous game rifles and I just don't need this one in the collection as its redundant.

I bought it from the estate of the original owner who aspired to go on a safari but never did. The gun is as-new, 2-3 rounds at most fired through the rifle, just a couple bumps in a safe making it 98-99% condition. It was made in 1999 during the "Don Allen Era" of Dakota prior to his passing and the "efficiencies" that happened under remington. I did configure the rifle on the Dakota website and it spits out a price around $11,000 to order this one today, plus $2000 optics.

Includes original sales receipt, order sheets, loads of documentation.

Gun specs:

Dakota Model 76 Africa
Magnum Action
Control Round Feed / 3 position side safety / Claw extractor
416 Rigby
XXX English Walnut Upgrade
Ebony Forend Tip
Front pop-up night sight upgrade
Dakota Mounts upgrade
Full wrap around forend checkering upgrade
Barrel band swivel and Ken Howell inletted stock swivel upgrade
22 LPI checkering upgrade
Ebony dual crossbolt plug option
All papers, certificates, literature.
Gold Oval inlaid with original owners two initials.
Extended magazine option (4 round)
***(I think it has a recoil reducer in the forend but I'm not going to bugger the screws to verify that)

Also includes Swarovski 1-4x 30mm dangerous game scope.

I have double rifles and a 375 and a 9.3x64 and and and so I don't need the backup dangerous game rifles. It's a beauty and its near mint and unused.

$6995 takes it. This is $1000 less than the least expensive similar one online today. It's the same price as one that is listed on this forum with a economy scope that was a lesser configured, smaller caliber gun when ordered.

IMG_3874.JPG
IMG_3875.JPG
IMG_3878.JPG
IMG_3879.JPG
IMG_3880.JPG
IMG_3881.JPG
IMG_3882.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
really nice looking gun. Lots of good extras. Good luck selling.

Very nice rifle! Is this the push button control to switch to 404 Jeffery mode? :A Whistle:

View attachment 385943

I thought the coincidence of Serial Number begged for this to be a 404J, or give it serial number 416R, right?

Consider it "Extra strength 404 Jeffery". :)

Very nice! If it was a 404, the ink wouldn't have even been dry on the post before someone would've bought it! Lol!
If it were a 404 it would be $3000 more due to irrational euphoria over the caliber.

Beautiful stock, great looking rifle.

Very nice! If it was a 404, the ink wouldn't have even been dry on the post before someone would've bought it! Lol!

Forgot to mention, a few years ago I had Dakota re-barrel two rifles for me, they were model 10 single-shots that I wanted in different calibers. They charged $1100 to swap out. So you could always rebarrel the gun direct with Dakota if you wanted it to be a Lott, or Jeffery, or whatever.

Why mess with best, 416 Rigby? Somebodies going to get a gem.

Forgot to mention, a few years ago I had Dakota re-barrel two rifles for me, they were model 10 single-shots that I wanted in different calibers. They charged $1100 to swap out. So you could always rebarrel the gun direct with Dakota if you wanted it to be a Lott, or Jeffery, or whatever.
I may be wrong. But i think the bolt face is too large for use as a 404, and definitely too large for Lott.

Yes. 450 Rigby would be a perfect fit.

Good point, guys. Forgot this as I rebarreled single shot dakotas and that's just cutting the extractor.

Bolt face rim diameter:

416 Rigby .590"
458 Lott .532"
404 Jefferey .543"
450 Rigby .590"
400 H&H .532"
500 Jefferey .575"
505 Gibbs .640"
470 Capstick .532"

I believe I read the African does come standard with a mercury recoil reducer in the fore-end but I don’t know about the pre-Remington models. Is it me or does the barrel have a plum brown finish? Beautiful rifle

Yes, it does have a plumb brown finished barrel. I forgot to list that upgrade in the initial post.
I believe I read the African does come standard with a mercury recoil reducer in the fore-end but I don’t know about the pre-Remington models. Is it me or does the barrel have a plum brown finish? Beautiful rifle

If you brought this rifle to SA on a hunting trip I would purchase it from you .

Good point, guys. Forgot this as I rebarreled single shot dakotas and that's just cutting the extractor.

Bolt face rim diameter:

416 Rigby .590"
458 Lott .532"
404 Jefferey .543"
450 Rigby .590"
400 H&H .532"
500 Jefferey .575"
505 Gibbs .640"
470 Capstick .532"
.465 H and H .579

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpathianHunters

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!