Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Namibia
Al Biesen pre-64 Model 70 in .375 H & H Magnum. The tang has been re-contoured, the bolt release is built up and checkered, and the bolt handle knob has two panels of checkering. Biesen also modified the bottom metal into a straddle floorplate with a push button release in the trigger guard. The factory Winchester barrel has been cut and crowned at 22” and retains the factory flipping rear sight but with a simple lug sling swivel and Williams Streamlined ramp front sight added. The amazing fiddleback walnut stock has an ebony fore end tip, a shadowline cheekpiece, rear sling swivel, a Biesen checkered steel grip cap and a red Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad. The checkering is in a typical Biesen wrap-around Fleur-de-lis pattern. The weight is about 9.5 pounds with scope and I think the LOP is 13.75".

I only shot it a few times trying to sight it in so I don’t know how good it shoots. I was going to take this to Africa in 2017 for a plains game hunt, but the Lyman Alaskan scope I had on it developed an issue within the first few shots. It was very discouraging and I decided not to trust a 60 year old scope on safari, so I took a different rifle instead and haven’t shot this since. I later mounted a Leupold 3X because Jack O’Connor and John Jobson liked them on their Biesen .375’s, and it just looks right to me this way.

If you want to see more pictures send me your email in a PM and I'll send them your way.

Price is $4,600.

P1180009.JPG
P1180010.JPG
P1180013.JPG
P1180016.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that a Griffin and Howe side mount? If the answer is yes, is it difficult to have removed?

That would go very nicely with my Al Biesen M70 270, but I have to draw the line somewhere. Good luck with the sale, I'd say that is a reasonable price.

Another great 375! The marketplace has more top quality 375s than it has in a long time. Very good price on this one too.

Excellent rifle! Do you have anything that authenticates its a Biesen?

Excellent price on a highly desirable rifle...........should sell easily......FWB

Is that a Griffin and Howe side mount? If the answer is yes, is it difficult to have removed?
Yes, it is a Griffin & Howe side mount. They can be removed but it's usually not practical. You're left with holes in the receiver wall that need to be filled, and a pieces of wood needs to be fitted into the stock where the side mount was. I like the G & H side mount, probably due to Jack O'Connor's writings and the many photos in his books showing his rifles that were so equipped.

Kurt

Yes, it is a Griffin & Howe side mount. They can be removed but it's usually not practical. You're left with holes in the receiver wall that need to be filled, and a pieces of wood needs to be fitted into the stock where the side mount was. I like the G & H side mount, probably due to Jack O'Connor's writings and the many photos in his books showing his rifles that were so equipped.

Kurt
Thanks for the info.

LOP is 13-3/8". It feels longer than that, but I suspect it is the slender grip. I think it handles wonderfully.

I own this rifle's son made by Al Biesen's son Roger. A pre-64 M70 in .458 Lott.
Coming from the master Al Biesen, the asking price on this. .375 is well below its value!

Someone has a wonderful rifle by one of the very best.

I found out who Al Biesen was about ten years ago. Would have loved to have been able to own one of his rifles, especially one made for Jack O'Conner. This one just sold is some of the most gorgeous wood I have seen on a U.S. made rifle....Congratulations to the new owner!

I’ve been a Al Biesen fan since I first read the Art of Hunting Big Game in North America back in high school. I’ve owned a few Al Biesen rifles through the years, including a .458 Winchester Magnum that Al built for O’Connor when the cartridge first came out. Jack wrote about it in Outdoor Life and it’s pictured in a couple of his books. That one is NOT for sale!

There are a few Al Biesen's around, but not many. below is a 270 that he built for the son of a friend of his in the 1970s

DSC_0016A.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg