Kurt Swanson

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Namibia
Al Biesen pre-64 Model 70 in .375 H & H Magnum. The tang has been re-contoured, the bolt release is built up and checkered, and the bolt handle knob has two panels of checkering. Biesen also modified the bottom metal into a straddle floorplate with a push button release in the trigger guard. The factory Winchester barrel has been cut and crowned at 22” and retains the factory flipping rear sight but with a simple lug sling swivel and Williams Streamlined ramp front sight added. The amazing fiddleback walnut stock has an ebony fore end tip, a shadowline cheekpiece, rear sling swivel, a Biesen checkered steel grip cap and a red Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad. The checkering is in a typical Biesen wrap-around Fleur-de-lis pattern. The weight is about 9.5 pounds with scope and I think the LOP is 13.75".

I only shot it a few times trying to sight it in so I don’t know how good it shoots. I was going to take this to Africa in 2017 for a plains game hunt, but the Lyman Alaskan scope I had on it developed an issue within the first few shots. It was very discouraging and I decided not to trust a 60 year old scope on safari, so I took a different rifle instead and haven’t shot this since. I later mounted a Leupold 3X because Jack O’Connor and John Jobson liked them on their Biesen .375’s, and it just looks right to me this way.

If you want to see more pictures send me your email in a PM and I'll send them your way.

Price is $4,600.

P1180009.JPG
P1180010.JPG
P1180013.JPG
P1180016.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
Is that a Griffin and Howe side mount? If the answer is yes, is it difficult to have removed?

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
That would go very nicely with my Al Biesen M70 270, but I have to draw the line somewhere. Good luck with the sale, I'd say that is a reasonable price.

JeffD

Bronze supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
San Luis Obispo Sportsman Association
Hunted
USA, Zambia, New Zealand, Namibia
Another great 375! The marketplace has more top quality 375s than it has in a long time. Very good price on this one too.

Mekaniks

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, RMEF
Hunted
AK, WY, WA, ID, FL, SD, TX, HI, South Africa- Northwest Province
Excellent rifle! Do you have anything that authenticates its a Biesen?

flatwater bill

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA endowment member/Life member
Hunted
NAMIBIA, RSA, KYRYG, KAZAKSTAN, MOZAMBIQUE,MEXICO, BOLIVIA, PERU, BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, CANADA, NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA, SPAIN,
Excellent price on a highly desirable rifle...........should sell easily......FWB

Kurt Swanson

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Namibia
Is that a Griffin and Howe side mount? If the answer is yes, is it difficult to have removed?
Yes, it is a Griffin & Howe side mount. They can be removed but it's usually not practical. You're left with holes in the receiver wall that need to be filled, and a pieces of wood needs to be fitted into the stock where the side mount was. I like the G & H side mount, probably due to Jack O'Connor's writings and the many photos in his books showing his rifles that were so equipped.

Kurt

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Yes, it is a Griffin & Howe side mount. They can be removed but it's usually not practical. You're left with holes in the receiver wall that need to be filled, and a pieces of wood needs to be fitted into the stock where the side mount was. I like the G & H side mount, probably due to Jack O'Connor's writings and the many photos in his books showing his rifles that were so equipped.

Kurt
Thanks for the info.

Mark A Ouellette

AH veteran
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
NRA Benefactor
I own this rifle's son made by Al Biesen's son Roger. A pre-64 M70 in .458 Lott.
Coming from the master Al Biesen, the asking price on this. .375 is well below its value!

Rocco490

Bronze supporter
AH member
Reaction score
WOW! Awesome rifle Best of luck with your sale

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Someone has a wonderful rifle by one of the very best.

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
I found out who Al Biesen was about ten years ago. Would have loved to have been able to own one of his rifles, especially one made for Jack O'Conner. This one just sold is some of the most gorgeous wood I have seen on a U.S. made rifle....Congratulations to the new owner!

Kurt Swanson

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Namibia
I’ve been a Al Biesen fan since I first read the Art of Hunting Big Game in North America back in high school. I’ve owned a few Al Biesen rifles through the years, including a .458 Winchester Magnum that Al built for O’Connor when the cartridge first came out. Jack wrote about it in Outdoor Life and it’s pictured in a couple of his books. That one is NOT for sale!

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
There are a few Al Biesen's around, but not many. below is a 270 that he built for the son of a friend of his in the 1970s

DSC_0016A.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jager Waffen74

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Safari Club International, NRA, Wild Sheep Foundation
Hunted
Tanzania, Nimibia, S. Africa, New Zealand, Mexico, Yukon, Northwest Territories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andreaswqo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.