Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
IMG_0391.JPG

The rifle is a 1987 Model 70 XTR .300 H&H magnum. At sometime in the past someone has replaced a standard wood stock with a Super Grade Stock and the Super Grade Swivel base mounts. The forearm has a couple of very small dents, probably from a gun safe. The stock shows no sign of ever being hunted with. The barrel has been recently re-blued (hot blue).

The scope is a Bushnell 3x9 Chief. It should be around 30 years old or more. The scope is in good working condition. The only issue is that the glass is old tech and is not as clear as modern scopes. It functions properly in using the elevation and windage a elevation adjustments. The following photos should answer most questions. If you have any others contact me on this thread or PM.

IMG_0392.JPG
IMG_0393.JPG
IMG_0394.JPG
IMG_0395.JPG
IMG_0396.JPG
GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg
DSCF3375.JPG

The black cap is the elevation adjustment cap. It has several marks into the paint. It cannot be re-blued because it is aluminum. That is what I have been told.
The trigger pull is extremely heavy IMO. Estimated to be 6 pounds. A new owner would need to adjust or have it adjusted asap before using the rifle to hunt.
Target is 100 yard from the bench by me. The red bullseye is 2 inches across. Heavy trigger pull is terrible when trying to shoot a group.

Asking price is $1100. Rifle is on consignment at Wildman Arms, Bryant, Arkansas.

Contact me on this thread or PM me with questions. Thanks to all on this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful rifle, wish I had the money. :(

David quit tempting me. Seriously fellas trash the scope lighten the trigger and u have a super 30 cheers
Come on Jacques, it's much less expensive than that .404 we were looking at about a month ago!!!

I have one also and it has almost the same sling except it is branded Holland and Holland.

Thats a great rifle for a great price and a great calibre too.

How much for the rigby sling. That might be as close to affording a rigby as I get

How much for the rigby sling. That might be as close to affording a rigby as I get
Sorry it's not for sale, but if it were, about $130 with the exchange rate. You can get a Westley, (just like it except for the name print) at L.D.'s for about $120.

I bought my H+H sling through a contact in the UK after being quoted $74 AUD for international freight from Hollands..yeah right!
At that price if the rifle was in Aus I would buy it for a 'spare'

If I remember correctly, that scope cost $1 more than the top of the line Leupold at the time. I have one on my 35 Remington. Good enough for Eastern deer and bear.

Did Winchester make a .300 H&H or was this a conversion?

Did Winchester make a .300 H&H or was this a conversion?
This is not a conversion. Winchester made many .300 H&Hs in their M 70 XTR models during the 80s. That is what this one is plus the one in my safe.

Rifle is sold pending transfer of funds. Thanks to all of your interest and comments!
Two happy AH members once again!

P.S. There's another .300 HH and .375 HH out there still looking for a home!

Another 300HH?

Another 300HH?
Yes Robb. It's a M70 stainless Classic rechambered to .300 HH from a 30-06. Just scan through the classifieds. It's on the same thread as the M70 .375.

This is really tempting. Love that round. Took a Fallow deer with it in RSA - borrowed gun and ended up being one of my favorite memories. I’ve been nostalgic about the .300 H&H ever since. How many 30 cals do I really need?!?

Last edited:
This is really tempting. Love that round. Took a Fallow deer with it in RSA - borrowed gun - been nostalgic about the .300 H&H ever since. How many 30 cals do I really need?!?
Hi flat8, I can't help you with how many you may need, but can help if you want another one!!! I don't reload, so I shoot Hornady 180 gr InterBond factory ammo in all my .300 HHs. You can go up to around 225 grain or so with the factory stuff. Around $38 - $48 a box, depending on who has it on sale on line. Nosler and a couple more of the premium brands will cost a bit more.

If you decide that you want it, PM me your FFL holder's address, don't need the name at this point and see if we can't work out a deal!

Funds have transferred. Rifle is sold!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlinegambling-review

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you